The Born Here V Not Born Here 11 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Born Here V Not Born Here 11

JagDude

Fair enough.

Personally if I met someone with such a remote link (like the one I described) to Scotland, who seriously claimed they were Scottish (when they really aren't), I'd find that a bit sad if I'm honest.

Does that include TA fans from other countries who have no link to Scotland?

I always thought it was ludicrous that Italians, Germans etc followed us.

So if a guy from America told you he was Scottish purely because he had one Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather that came from Scotland - he'd be Scottish ?

Aye! What if his great great great great grandfather was from the highlands and islands and trying to escape the brutality of the highland clearances by going to America/Canada??

There's people born elsewhere who are alot more Scottish than some of the scumbags who were born here!

Aye! What if his great great great great grandfather was from the highlands and islands and trying to escape the brutality of the highland clearances by going to America/Canada??

There's people born elsewhere who are alot more Scottish than some of the scumbags who were born here!

The Clearances point relates to the ancestor not the living individual. And what if another of his ancestors was a French Huguenot escaping religious persecution ? Would that make him French ? No it wouldn't.

This hypothetical chap would be American, an American of partial Scottish descent amongst many other nations but still an American first and foremost.

A line needs to be drawn somewhere.

The Clearances point relates to the ancestor not the living individual. And what if another of his ancestors was a French Huguenot escaping religious persecution ? Would that make him French ? No it wouldn't.

This hypothetical chap would be American, an American of partial Scottish descent amongst many other nations but still an American first and foremost.

fair enough!

I'd draw the line at parents!!

I'd draw the line at parents!!

In general terms I'd agree. However there are some exceptions. Once met a guy on holiday who had two sets of Scottish grandparents, both his parents brought up to be Scottish despite being born and living in England all their life. Subsequently he was brought up to be Scottish despite his broad southern English accent. He was so passionate about everything to do with Scotland. And definitely thought of himself as Scottish not English.

I realise this is rare but a grandparent can have a massive influence on a person's life and can shape a mindset and aspirations. For this reason I can deal with the grandparent rule.

Edited by flynnyboy

So who'd win this game? Need a centre half for the not born here 11.

Gilks

Bardsley Martin Fox

Bridcutt Morrison

Phillips Ritchie Anya

Rhodes

Marshall

Hutton Berra Hanley Roberston

Brown Mcarthur

Maloney Naismith Griffiths

Fletcher

Jason Deneyar wasn't born here.