Dimbleby Interviews: Brown & Salmond - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dimbleby Interviews: Brown & Salmond

I'd just never seen or heard of her despite following things relatively closely. She did seem a dour one though. :lol;

Sorry Fringo, if you haven't heard of Jeane Freeman, you haven't been following things closely enough. She's brilliant, watch her here:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, Broon was awful and Salmond dealt with it no problem. Today's erratic gloom has lifted...

Skimmed through it there, I wouldn't say Brown was awful, he did his best to argue the case for remaining in the UK, but it's probably too little too late. And that's without mentioning "The Vow"....

In a way it's extraordinary that this final prime time interview should be with Brown, and not Darling... or Cameron.

In the last 2 weeks, Cameron reduced to two snap visits to Scotland, where all we see is one man in a hall of bussed in supporters; did he ever do a walkabout on the streets, or even address the Scottish public from a stage-managed platform (other than an oil platform?)... or turned up on a 'secret' visit to Shetland... this is the man who purports to be the passionate leader of the entire United Kingdom

Edited by exile

Darling almost lost it on BBC news there. His new argument is now that these new powers come in faster and won't take as long to negotiate as the negotiations would in an independent Scotland.

Is that really the best they have now?

He looked like a man lashing out in a last desperate attempt to stay in the fight.

Jenkins on the other hand was positive and smiling throughout. Simple message from him, full power can only happen with a yes vote

To be fair, the plans for increased powers are probably more concrete than any of Alex Salmond's currency proposals. If the No campaign fudged anything as much as he has on this issue, they would be torn apart on here.

Edited by fraz65

To be fair, the plans for increased powers are probably more concrete than any of Alex Salmond's currency proposals. If the No campaign fudged anything as much as he has on this issue, they would be torn apart on here.

What exactly are these 'new powers' ?

I must have missed seeing them.

Explain to me as well the upsurge in anger from English backbench MP's and their constituents....can you guarantee me with absolute, 100% certainty that these new powers (whatever they are) will get through parliament ?

Tell me as well, why now ? Why not 2 years ago, or a month ago, or 10 months ago ? Why now ?

I really dont get this argument. Salmond has told us exactly what he is going to do re currency. The reason its not set in stone is because there are other third parties at play. Until he has negotiated with them he cannot possibly have a firm way forward. he has told us his preferred way forward which all reasonable thinking people will agree will probably happen if we get Indy.

However if for some bizarre reason this outcome did not happen he has told us we would have to look at other options. we would have time to do that and to pick the best proposal for scotland.

How is this so hard to understand for No voters? I feel it is more a case of choosing not to understand rather than actually trying to.

its their one main argument and they cant bear to see it explained in a rational manner.

Cameron, Miliband, Clegg...these guys are not going to be around long enough to fulfil any promises.

They have all been hugely damaged from this Yes or No. Knives are being sharpened.

Agreed - if they win this it is clear it was not down to them. it was down to the media and the scare mongeringand probably the likes of gordon brown coming out iof the closet. the three guys above effectively lost this campaign, they have had to rely on others to try and rescue it for them.

Re the currency, it was interesting to hear Channel 4 News' political editor last night saying without the Eurozone crisis Salmond would've gone with the Euro as option 1 for currency and the referendum would've been won by a landslide.

I'm not so sure, I think the negative media would've had even more of a field day if that was the case?...

Re the currency, it was interesting to hear Channel 4 News' political editor last night saying without the Eurozone crisis Salmond would've gone with the Euro as option 1 for currency and the referendum would've been won by a landslide.

I'm not so sure, I think the negative media would've had even more of a field day if that was the case?...

Given that the single biggest bone of contention throughout the entire campaign has been currency, I'd agree that if a stable and established currency was available (outwith Sterling) then yes, I'm sure that would've been the plan, and we'd have won this thing already.

Given that the single biggest bone of contention throughout the entire campaign has been currency, I'd agree that if a stable and established currency was available (outwith Sterling) then yes, I'm sure that would've been the plan, and we'd have won this thing already.

Darling would still have been asking what plan B was!!

Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 (I'm in the office, not my fault) just told Sturgeon - and I mean told - that the protests outside the BBC show that 'a free media will not be allowed in independent Scotland'. I can only assume he was hoping to provoke a rant, but to be fair, after a stunned silence, she managed to remain calm and point out how ridiculous his statement was.

Edited by Pool Q