This Saturday Top 10 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Saturday Top 10

Scotland

1. Glasgow I

2. Edinburgh II

3. Falkirk

4. Perth

5. Dundee

6. Kilmarnock

7. Inverness

8. Dunfermline

9. Glasgow I

10. Greenock*

Great Britain

1 Manchester

2 Newcastle

3 Glasgow I

4 London I

5 Liverpool

6 Southampton

7 Stoke-on-Trent

8 West Bromwich

9 Brighton

10 Ipswich

11 Nottingham II

12 Burnley

13 Coventry

14 Bolton

15 Birmingham II*

16 London III

17 Rotherham

18 London II

19 Edinburgh II

20 Barnsley

21 Falkirk

22 Chesterfield

23 Blackpool

24 Southend-on-Sea*

25 Northampton

26 High Wycombe

27 Shorpe

28 Shrewsbury

29 Perth

30 London IV

*Friday

Only thing I thought of is attendances from the weekend?

Yes!

Didn't mean it to be a riddle, but (given the forum and thread title) couldn't think of another clue that wouldn't give it away (what links these cities and towns...?)

Yes!

Didn't mean it to be a riddle, but (given the forum and thread title) couldn't think of another clue that wouldn't give it away (what links these cities and towns...?)

Given that Aberdeen isn't in it,I would assume it's Scotland's biggest shitholes??

Only 1 game in Scotland had more than 10000 spectators

Only 10 games in Scotland had more than 1000 spectators

The top 4 attendances involved the biggest clubs of Glasgow and Edinburgh – irrespective of which league they are in.

Dunfermline are punching above their weight in terms of attendance (or below it, in terms of league position).

The Scottish Premiership had only 2 out of the top 30 attendances in Britain.

The second highest Premiership attendance (St Johnstone v Hearts) was below Leagues One's Shrewsbury Town v Swindon and just ahead of League Two's Leyton Orient v Yeovil Town.

Or put another way, the majority of Premiership games attracted less than Orient v Yeovil. Or another way, only 4 matches in all Scotland exceeded it.

Only 1 game in Scotland had more than 10000 spectators

Only 10 games in Scotland had more than 1000 spectators

The top 4 attendances involved the biggest clubs of Glasgow and Edinburgh – irrespective of which league they are in.

Dunfermline are punching above their weight in terms of attendance (or below it, in terms of league position).

The Scottish Premiership had only 2 out of the top 30 attendances in Britain.

The second highest Premiership attendance (St Johnstone v Hearts) was below Leagues One's Shrewsbury Town v Swindon and just ahead of League Two's Leyton Orient v Yeovil Town.

Or put another way, the majority of Premiership games attracted less than Orient v Yeovil. Or another way, only 4 matches in all Scotland exceeded it.

We're still better supported by head of population than almost every country in Europe, including England.

We're still better supported by head of population than almost every country in Europe, including England.

Indeed. It seems exile wants to do the Sky Sports fan trick of comparing the Scottish game with the English one.

Were you at a game at the weekend, exile?

Indeed. It seems exile wants to do the Sky Sports fan trick of comparing the Scottish game with the English one.

That kind of thing isn't helped when you have what is generally the best Scottish football coverage, Sportsound, providing live score updates from the EPL during Scottish games.

That kind of thing isn't helped when you have what is generally the best Scottish football coverage, Sportsound, providing live score updates from the EPL during Scottish games.

It annoys me too but it's pretty far down on the list of problems...

We're still better supported by head of population than almost every country in Europe,

including England.

That's what I thought too. That's why I was surprised by the figures and thought Id' share them

Well you seem to agree that we are better supported by head of population than almost every country in Europe, including England. You can only know that if you compare the figures.

I can't win the Jimmy Sanderson argument, but if people are discouraged from commenting whether on internet or sports radio, then it could lead to more people drifting away from the game, not boosting it?

Edited by exile

Here's the latest figures I could find for season 2011/12. Seems the Icelandic attend more per capita than the Scots but that's it.

https://rowzfootball.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/who-watches-the-most-football-in-europe-average-attendances-by-population-across-european-top-flight-leagues/

Further down is a very interesting extrapolation of what average attendances would be across Europe if everyone went to games at the same percentages as we did :

Crowds in England would nearly 150,000, in Germany 210,000 and each Russian game would be watched by 375,000 people.