Scottish Budget - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Budget

Pretty boring from a spend that is now today almost double since first Holyrood budget.

Council Tax freeze benefiting middle to upper earners.

Mirrored George Osbourne with 2nd home stamp tax.

Mirrored George Osbourne by not touching income tax.

Promised to "continue to maintain the safe operation of the Forth bridges"!

Prison budget cut

Police budget increased

Meh

Pretty boring from a spend that is now today almost double since first Holyrood budget.

Prison budget cut

Police budget increased

Meh

Is this the official view of the Scottish Young Tory club, or did you make it up all by yourself ?

Prison budget cut

Police budget increased

Meh

Tartan Tories

Prison budget cut

Police budget increased

Meh

Yep, raise everyone's taxes by the same proportion. That'll solve everything.

Weird how everything on here has to be black and white. SNP good or SNP bad.

I'm an SNP member and have always voted for them. Thinking of going Green in 2016 - probably give SNP my first vote and green the regional as they're not standing anyone.

However, that doesn't mean I can't see that things like the council tax freeze are bad. I don't agree with everything in the budget. I don't see much wrong with the OP.

Weird how everything on here has to be black and white. SNP good or SNP bad.

I'm an SNP member and have always voted for them. Thinking of going Green in 2016 - probably give SNP my first vote and green the regional as they're not standing anyone.

However, that doesn't mean I can't see that things like the council tax freeze are bad. I don't agree with everything in the budget. I don't see much wrong with the OP.

What do you think is bad about it? I disagree with a lot of their policies but I think this is one of their best ones.

What do you think is bad about it? I disagree with a lot of their policies but I think this is one of their best ones.

Public services are suffering massively, council budgets are being stretched beyond what they can handle.

The SNP came to power with promises of "scrapping the unfair council tax". Here's an exact quote from the 2007 manifesto:

"Local taxes can be fairer. The SNP will scrap the Council Tax and introduce a fairer system

based on ability to pay. Families and individuals on low and middle incomes will on average be

between £260 and £350 a year better off. Nine out of ten pensioners will pay less local tax"

We're now 8 1/2 years on. The Council Tax remains. The SNP have been a majority administration for years and yet this unfair tax continues.