35 Years Since John Lennon Got Shot - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

35 Years Since John Lennon Got Shot

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the TOTP repeats from 1980 on BBC4, and it was pretty sad seeing the clip of "Just Like Starting Over" knowing John would be dead within days

Wasn't Double Fantasy upon its release panned by the critics very heavily and very poorly recieved by the fans, yet sold like hot cakes after his death?

True, sure I read that Ringo Starr had more Solo No1 hits in the 70's than Lennon did before his death.

Michael Jackson's sales rocketed following his death - pretty sure it was the same with Nirvana after Kurt Cobain blew his head off.

Edited by Charlie Endell

It's often been asked would the legacies have been different if Paul had been killed instead of John?

We'd have been spared the Frog Chorus for starters.

Lennon was seen as a bit of an oddball recluse in the 70s. (See Ron Nasty in the Rutles). And I do recall Double Fantasy getting poor reviews. I like the Starting Over single but it barely scraped into the top 10 and was heading out of the charts when John was murdered...

Edited by Toepoke

Watching The Wheels is a fantastic song on Double Fantasy as is Beautiful Boy. And Woman is one of my all time favourite songs.

Waking up on 9th December 1980 was one of the saddest moments of my life.

It didn't help that we were all off to my uncle's funeral that day. I was in tears all day and it was nothing to do withthe funeral

Lennon's solo work especially the early 70s albums are some of the best songs ever written, not even counting all his Beatles songs with or without Paul.

He also held a special place in his heart for Durness. ..also my favourite place in Scotland.

I never got to see him perform....but have at least had the privilege of seeing Yoko perform andJohn's son Sean...

Happy Christmas..War Is Over... (if u want it...)

Watching The Wheels is a fantastic song on Double Fantasy as is Beautiful Boy. And Woman is one of my all time favourite songs.

Waking up on 9th December 1980 was one of the saddest moments of my life.

It didn't help that we were all off to my uncle's funeral that day. I was in tears all day and it was nothing to do withthe funeral

Lennon's solo work especially the early 70s albums are some of the best songs ever written, not even counting all his Beatles songs with or without Paul.

He also held a special place in his heart for Durness. ..also my favourite place in Scotland.

I never got to see him perform....but have at least had the privilege of seeing Yoko perform andJohn's son Sean...

Happy Christmas..War Is Over... (if u want it...)

Double Fantasy is ok, just a shame for every Lennon track there is a Ono one to ruin it..... Can see why no record company wanted to touch it based on the proposal, and sure Geffin probably thought "sod it, at least I will get 5/6 new Lennon tracks".

Mind Games & Walls and Bridges my favourite.... But Sometime in New York probably the blot on this phase of Lennons solo career.

I saw Sean support Air at the Old Fruitmarket. Wasn't particularly impressed, other than thinking "John Lennon's his dad!" :shocked:

Sean I have always felt got his musical talents from his mum..... Julian is actually not all that bad (couple of good tunes) but is unfairly compared to his dad, that he was never going to be successful (but it's good to see now that he has made a name for himself in other fields such as photography and charity work).

It's often been asked would the legacies have been different if Paul had been killed instead of John?

We'd have been spared the Frog Chorus for starters.

Lennon was seen as a bit of an oddball recluse in the 70s. (See Ron Nasty in the Rutles). And I do recall Double Fantasy getting poor reviews. I like the Starting Over single but it barely scraped into the top 10 and was heading out of the charts when John was murdered...

everything after Mc Cartney 2 has been shite by Mc Cartney so we would have missed nothing.....

phukkin pipes of peace/ebony and ivory, man he was shite in the 80's....

A couple of songs on his last album NEW were ok, but his voice is gone.....

The big question is would they have re formed for live aid or something. I am sure they would have done some charity concert and mibee a wee tour.. who knows...

Lennon and Mc cartney doing an unplugged album would have been great..

Beatles doing Glastonbury..

everything after Mc Cartney 2 has been shite by Mc Cartney so we would have missed nothing.....

phukkin pipes of peace/ebony and ivory, man he was shite in the 80's....

A couple of songs on his last album NEW were ok, but his voice is gone.....

The big question is would they have re formed for live aid or something. I am sure they would have done some charity concert and mibee a wee tour.. who knows...

Lennon and Mc cartney doing an unplugged album would have been great..

Beatles doing Glastonbury..

Live Aid would probably have been Lennon and McCartney at best.... Harrison apparently rejected the chance to take part after becoming disalougened with the music industry after his last few albums bombed and Ringo was in rehab at the time and taking something of a back seat until he got his act together.

The Beatles Anthology idea actually started in the late 70's, but due to various legal factors would be mid 90's before it saw light of day, but by most accounts Lennon was a big factor behind the scenes on this, so clearly had one eye on a reunion in the 80's.

Saw an interview with Richard Skinner, then of Radio 1, a few months back. He said it was himself who had let Paul know about John's murder and McCartney had told him at the time that they were planning on working together in the studio in early 1981.

PS:-

disalougened.

Hate to pull up spelling mistakes but that is a humdinger :ok:

Saw an interview with Richard Skinner, then of Radio 1, a few months back. He said it was himself who had let Paul know about John's murder and McCartney had told him at the time that they were planning on working together in the studio in early 1981.

PS:-

Hate to pull up spelling mistakes but that is a humdinger :ok:

hahahaha just noticed that myself :-)):blush:

Anyway, apparently when Yoko handed McCartney the demo tapes with "Free like a bird", "Real Love" and "Now and Then" (which when you listen to the lyrics does sound like he is relating more to Paul than anyone else) it had written on them "for Paul", so maybe he did have plans.

After "working" together on the Toot and a Sneeze Demo in LA (which is just a drunken coke-fueled mess!) Lennon was suppose to work with Paul on his Venus and Mars album, but never showed up for the recording session.

I wish ...

Regarding Lennon & McCartney working together again, that couldn't have been easy after Lennon's 'How Do You Sleep' - what was the 'Toot and a Sneeze' session Wanderer?

Sorry, its actually called "A Toot and a Snore".

It is effective a jam session with a who's who of the mid 70's rock..... Lennon, McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Harry Nilsson etc.... and its officially the last thing Lennon and McCartney worked together on.

Its really just a drugs fueled mess that found its way on to the Beatles Bootleg scene and not worth going out your way to hunt down (though it is on Youtube) as its just awful.

Lennon had been kicked out by Yoko and was spending his days drinking in LA with Elton John, Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr, so was it tad worse for wear at the time.

Re: "How do you sleep"..... Lennon and McCartney had patched things up by that stage.... actually the only Beatle he was not on talking terms with at the time of his death was George (Lennon took the huff to some book that George had wrote where he only mentioned Lennon a hand full of times throughout it), and was suppose to work with Ringo Starr on a new song in January of 1981 (they had met a few days before hand where Lennon presented Ringo with 3 potential songs fro his new album)

Edited by wanderer

It was probably around the Toot sessions that McCartney said he and Linda persuaded John to end his lost weekend and get back with Yoko.

Not heard that one.... Guys like Mick Jagger say it was the old Lennon they knew when he left Yoko, and that they "lost a friend again" after he got back with her..... Even Julian says they reconnected better over that period than at any other point during his life.

Elton John actually gets more credit for getting them back together (getting John to appear on stage with him at a concert in New York that Yoko just happens to be attending).

Edited by wanderer

It's in Hunter Davies' biography:-

"Nobody knows how much I HELPED John. Me and Linda went to California and talked him out of his so-called lost weekend, when he was full of drugs. We told him to go back to Yoko, and not long after he did. I went all the way to L.A. to see the b@stard"

Read all about it...

http://abbeyrd.proboards.com/thread/2584#ixzz3tqj9Aogm

Edited by Toepoke