Scottish Fitba This Weekend - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Fitba This Weekend

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not?

No, I think we'll be in excess of 15 points above st Johnstone and 10+ ahead of Hearts (I have a bet on that with my Jambo supporting brother).

We've got more points now than we did at this stage last season. I can't see either Hearts or St Johnstone having the squad depth to maintain their current form.

No, I think we'll be in excess of 15 points above st Johnstone and 10+ ahead of Hearts (I have a bet on that with my Jambo supporting brother).

We've got more points now than we did at this stage last season. I can't see either Hearts or St Johnstone having the squad depth to maintain their current form.

I'm surprised at how confident you are, given how ordinary (that's probably being kind), you boys were for a few weeks there.

I think you will finish above them both too right enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen. As you say, the respective depth of squad's will be a huge factor and it's coming into the period of the season where they will really be tested so we'll see.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Saints finish second now that the league is done. Pal of mine goes to see them every week. Safe to say he is very pleased with how things are going just now.

I'm surprised at how confident you are, given how ordinary (that's probably being kind), you boys were for a few weeks there.

I think you will finish above them both too right enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen. As you say, the respective depth of squad's will be a huge factor and it's coming into the period of the season where they will really be tested so we'll see.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Saints finish second now that the league is done. Pal of mine goes to see them every week. Safe to say he is very pleased with how things are going just now.

It was 'done' before a baw wis kicked ya feckin donut!!!! :wink2::wave:

It's our first bad run in 12 months. I think it's important to look at our form over the whole period, rather than getting too high after the first 8 games, or too low about the next 6.

I don't think either Hearts or Saints will be able to match the consistency that i think we'll show for the remainder of the season.

I may well be proven totally wrong but i just think we have better quality in our first xi AND better depth of squad that Saints and Hearts.

It's our first bad run in 12 months. I think it's important to look at our form over the whole period, rather than getting too high after the first 8 games, or too low about the next 6.

I don't think either Hearts or Saints will be able to match the consistency that i think we'll show for the remainder of the season.

I may well be proven totally wrong but i just think we have better quality in our first xi AND better depth of squad that Saints and Hearts.

I think you're spot on here. Saints are on a great run just now and their consistency is improving but hasn't been proven for as long as Aberdeen have done it.

Hearts are just not as good across the pitch, in general.

So I'd say Dons, Hearts and then Saints for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

A very good first half performance from the Dons. Started well and didn't stop until the half-time whistle (which bizzarly came when we'd just won a corner?!). McGinn's mood seems to dictate our overall performance though (see also second half against Ross County). The second half wasn't so great and we became too lacklustre. To be fair Dundee at home aren't going to sit back and take a beating for 90 mins, so a reaction had to be expected. McLean was good for an hour. Shinnie and Flood were good and controlled most things. Rooney put in another fantastic shift. Pawlett was excellent when he came on. Ward was superb and made things much more comfortable than they might otherwise have been. I think he's the best keeper we've had since Kjaer, and arguable better.

However, set pieces are becoming an issue. We can't seem to make anything from them (always hit the first defender) and we definitely can't defend them. Taylor is great in the air but for some reason completely disappears for set pieces. Reynolds still looks very shaky at the back and if it's possible, his distribution is getting worse. His pace get's us out of a lot of trouble though.

A very good first half performance from the Dons. Started well and didn't stop until the half-time whistle (which bizzarly came when we'd just won a corner?!). McGinn's mood seems to dictate our overall performance though (see also second half against Ross County). The second half wasn't so great and we became too lacklustre. To be fair Dundee at home aren't going to sit back and take a beating for 90 mins, so a reaction had to be expected. McLean was good for an hour. Shinnie and Flood were good and controlled most things. Rooney put in another fantastic shift. Pawlett was excellent when he came on. Ward was superb and made things much more comfortable than they might otherwise have been. I think he's the best keeper we've had since Kjaer, and arguable better.

However, set pieces are becoming an issue. We can't seem to make anything from them (always hit the first defender) and we definitely can't defend them. Taylor is great in the air but for some reason completely disappears for set pieces. Reynolds still looks very shaky at the back and if it's possible, his distribution is getting worse. His pace get's us out of a lot of trouble though.

Set pieces have generally been pish for about as long as I can remember.

Whilst I agree we're highly unlikely to finish 2nd, I actually think that just now Saints probably have the strongest squad in my lifetime. We've had several important players out for spells this season (Millar, Anderson, Mackay, Mannus, Davidson, Scobbie, Easton, O'Halloran, Cummins etc have all missed games) and managed to cope quite well.

The fact that John Sutton - gash, but a recognised goalscorer at this level - can't get a sniff of a starting place, is testament to the quality of squad Tommy Wright has put together on a relatively small budget.

Whilst I agree we're highly unlikely to finish 2nd, I actually think that just now Saints probably have the strongest squad in my lifetime. We've had several important players out for spells this season (Millar, Anderson, Mackay, Mannus, Davidson, Scobbie, Easton, O'Halloran, Cummins etc have all missed games) and managed to cope quite well.

The fact that John Sutton - gash, but a recognised goalscorer at this level - can't get a sniff of a starting place, is testament to the quality of squad Tommy Wright has put together on a relatively small budget.

The biggest issue I can see for the Saints is keeping Tommy Wright. I think he's excellent. Comes across very well. Can you imagine him in charge at Celtic - they'd be half decent!

My comments weren't meant as a slight on Saints, i agree you have a reasonably strong squad. I just think ours is stronger, especially our first xi.

I don't think Chris Millar, Liam Craig or David Wotherspoon are in the same class as Kenny McLean, Graham Shinnie & Niall McGinn. That's not to say that they're not good players, i just think ours are stronger. Saints do seem to equal more than the sum of their parts though, which is a testament to the excellent job that Tommy Wright is doing!

It surprises me that Stubbs and warburton seem to be on any betting for championship manager job but Tommy Wright never gets mention who I think is doing a better job at a higher level.

Totally agree. Whilst I think Warburton is doing a good job he hasn't won anything yet. Wright is the Saints most successful manager, IIRC.

Saints season will rest on keeping a hold of figures like O' Halloran and Tommy Wright. It all depends on who Celtic fancy snapping up to stifle the competition come January. Then we'll have the usual greetin' from them about no competition in the league.