Warren Mitchell - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Warren Mitchell

There was a thread on here a few months back about Alf Garnett.

Mitchell detested bigotry and racism and it was to his eternal credit that he played the part of Garnett with such a sense of brilliant irony, that people believed (and still believe) that Garnett and Mitchell were the same people.

Fantastic actor, very sad news.

Mitchell detested bigotry and racism and it was to his eternal credit that he played the part of Garnett with such a sense of brilliant irony, that people believed (and still believe) that Garnett and Mitchell were the same people.

here here he was actually laughing at them rather than laughing with them

Remember a story from a few years back when he was at a football match and a fan, thinking Mitchell was a racist, shouted something racist to him expecting some supportive words in reply. Mitchell proceeded to tear him a new one in front of the crowd.

Apparently he wasnt first choice for Alf Garnett.It was would you believe Peter Sellars who turned it down.

R.I.P.

Strange - I was just telling my youngest a couple of days ago about Mitchell/ Garnett.

I was saying I've got his 1978 stage show on cassette and a lot of it is still topical - the racism, which he lampooned brilliantly - the sexism, the general ignorance.

The creation of this character with Johnny Speight was superb.