Emotional Rollercoaster - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Emotional Rollercoaster

Is it just me or is anybody else going through a bit of an emotional rollercoaster just now?

One minute, I'm really positive and have faith that the message is getting through. But then I'll see some no/undecided punter getting interviewed and they've clearly believed all the No propoganda. I'm starting to lose faith that most people will be able to see through the self-interested lies that are emanating from the media.

Although the message appears to be getting through on twitter and facebook, the vast majority of the population don't use social media and I'm increasingly concerned that they are believing the propoganda :(

Edited by tartandon

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm the same. And I'm halfway around the world but I'm immersed in it.

I was down on it end of last week when all the scare stories intensified and the 3 stooges got further involved but if I could remove emotion from it I think a yes vote does have a chance.

I'll not take a no vote very well. I know I'll ignore UK politics for a long time, easier since I'm abroad and probably that means this board as well.

Wanna say that I can't thank everyone who has campaigned in anyway for a yes vote during the debate. Heroes every single one and a credit to Scotland :ok:

If I imagine the day after a Yes versus versus the day after a No note this can provoke emotional swings.

The day after 70 seats I felt i was on a cloud for about 3 days after.

So a yes will be incredible.

As for a No....devastation.

Thursday night is going to be gut wrenching, washing machine stomach, sweaty palms nightmare of anxiety. I might just go to be bed, wake up in the morning and find out then.

Yep. Same here. Some days Im bursting with excitement and pride at what we could achieve here, other days Im pretty depressed about whether we'll get over the line or even moments of doubt about whether we are doing the right thing.

Today Im mainly concerned about canvassing and whether it's accurate. I've seen the canvass results and they all look good but Im nervous about the large numbers (and it is a large number of people) who do not participate in canvassing and wonder what they are thinking. Canvass returns that show 55% Yes, 40% No and 5% Undecided are great but do they sufficiently reflect the majority of doors that go unanswered, either because someone is out or because they noticed canvassers coming to the door and didnt get off sofa? From what I've seen, there is still a silent majority who are keeping their opinions to themselves or away from the debate.

The mood feels like it's going to be fine, but Im paranoid about how much we are influence by the very public declarations of Yes on social media and in the street. It's hard not to see Yes as being on top but when I travel along streets, the vast majority of houses show no visible signs of being engaged. That isn't necessarily bad for Yes but theres a small chance it's bad.

We've spent so long convincing ourselves via social media and canvassing that a No vote on Friday is going to be a pretty hard shock to many. If it dips below 45% things are going to get very nasty. IMO, No supporters are going to take defeat far better than Yes.

And yes, Im a pessimistic/paranoid b*stard. Thursday night is going to be hellish.

Eck'll bring it home.

Related this point, why do so many people apparently dislike Eck?

I've met him a couple of times and he is a lovely man who genuinely wants Scotland to do well. Contrast that to some other politicians who you can see are clearly self-serving money-grabbing toerags

I was up and doon last week too....then I stopped watching the news and the debates! It works, I feel much more positive now.

The polls won't be accurate but it doesn't matter, the positive message everywhere is coming from YES, and that's all we can do. Pollsters who were getting 30% yes two months ago are now getting 50+% in those same areas.

The knuckle draggers who are on TV repeating BT slogans as a reason for voting NO, are simply expressing their right to have an opinion, even if it isn't theirs!

This.

The gloating from politicians, the media and people on FB will be hard to stomach.

If we lose, Social Media, Tv Radio will be switched off for 2+ weeks not sure I could stomach it,

For a lot of us on this board something we have been working for for at least 40 yrs or more, A No vote is unthinkable and make no mistake we will NEVER get another chance.

Now on positive side if YES not sure I could do social media anyway as may not be able to see my computer lol,

biggest party Scotland will have ever seen, then job not done we move forward and make Scotland a Country that when we pass away we know our kids are in good hands in a prosperous Scotland.

I don't pray a lot but pray every night for a Yes vote

One thing after a YES vote a wee toast will be made to friends and people I didn't know who sadly passed away before seeing what they worked so hard to achieve

I've met him a couple of times and he is a lovely man who genuinely wants Scotland to do well. Contrast that to some other politicians who you can see are clearly self-serving money-grabbing toerags

It's simply political...they don't share his views so they hate him. I am the same with Douglas Alexander....now I am sure he is a nice guy, but what he says about politics makes me dislike watching him.

A total mystery to me that one as well.

I speculate it is because he is so good at what he does (making the case for independence) that it infuriates them and they have to rationalize this frustration somehow, he's fat, he's smug, he's arrogant etc...)

When you look at some of the freakshows on the other side (Micheal where is my chin Gove for one prime example) it is strange the hostility he generates.

The one real success of Better Together and the media has been their ability to target Salmond, to the point were people with say they don't like him or don't trust him but aren't able to say why.

I think a lot of people have formed their opinion based on articles in the anti-Salmond press over many years and his combative style at Holyrood. Personally in my lifetime I have never seen a more able politician.

Let's all do our best to convince 1 more person between now and Thursday. If we can convince just 1 person each, then we've got it in the bag.

if we don't do it now, this will be the last chance for a generation.

Let's do this!

We can be the best wee country in the world. We have the people and the resources to make this a true beacon. Let's rise and be a true nation again!!

Come on Scotland!!!

Edited by tartandon

Feels like the scottish cup final 2012 ask any hibs/hearts fan how they felt before the game and the build up. Win it was the greatest day in history lose and it was like a knife through the heart. Constant reminder as you worked and shared a city with the opposition.

I know this is bigger than any football game but the emotion feels the same.

Feels like the scottish cup final 2012 ask any hibs/hearts fan how they felt before the game and the build up. Win it was the greatest day in history lose and it was like a knife through the heart. Constant reminder as you worked and shared a city with the opposition.

I know this is bigger than any football game but the emotion feels the same.

Aw FFS! :-))

p.s Your right.

Let's all do our best to convince 1 more person between now and Thursday. If we can convince just 1 person each, then we've got it in the bag.

if we don't do it now, this will be the last chance for a generation.

Let's do this!

We can be the best wee country in the world. We have the people and the resources to make this a true beacon. Let's rise and be a true nation again!!

Come on Scotland!!!

Well said, if you live here, see if you can volounteer at your local YES campaign, keep busy and stay the eff away from the telly! Canvassing (who gives a shiny about polls, all different and totally inconclusive) returns are looking good, we have momentum on our side, our grass roots movement has grown to monumental levels. Ive (obviously) never experienced this kind of belief before. Look at the numbers of folk coming out onto the street to show their support. This is a popular movement. If youre in Glasgow, get yourself along to George Sq Tues evening, check your local area, something will be happening near you im sure. Only a couple of days left, one last push and we're over the line.

Edited by neilly71

Well said, if you live here, see if you can volounteer at your local YES campaign, keep busy and stay the eff away from the telly! Canvassing (who gives a shiny about polls, all different and totally inconclusive) returns are looking good, we have momentum on our side, our grass roots movement has grown to monumental levels. Ive (obviously) never experienced this kind of belief before. Look at the numbers of folk coming out onto the street to show their support. This is a popular movement. If youre in Glasgow, get yourself along to George Sq Tues evening, check your local area, something will be happening near you im sure. Only a couple of days left, one last push and we're over the line.

I know for a fact Edinburgh West is still looking for people to be standing at the polling stations during the day. pm me if anyone can help.