Allison Street, Govanhill, Glasgow - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allison Street, Govanhill, Glasgow

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pakistan slum landlord have ran the place down.the bookies are full of roma pumping money into the machines. Where they get it I've no idea. Most old folk are scared to walk down there at night. I sold a flat in Allison st 10 years ago at a decent profit. Would hate to think what I would have got for it now.half the area is infested with bed bugs. And Apparently it's ok for them to hang around in groups as it's there culture. I couldn't imagine bringing my kids up in that area now, but umpteen folk have no choice now. Sad to see the way it's gone.

I have about as much chance of riding more winners than Ruby Walsh at Cheltenham 2016 than they have of ever making Allison Street half decent again.

Allison street was going downhill long before the Roma community moved in

I wouldn't be so sceptical. I lived in London for 6 years and returned home in May and even during those 6 years I seen a number of 'no go areas' turn into the next hot spot for property.

I appreciate however that gentrification in London happens on a much quicker and sometimes shameful scale than ever would in Glasgow, but Govanhill, in terms of location has everything. Queens Park is 400 yards away, Vicky road has all yer amenities etc, couple of decent boozers, decent curry shops, pollokshaws and nithsdale road are 5 minutes walk away and have great boozers and restaurants. In terms of transport it's 10 minutes on the bus into the city centre and 5 or 6 minutes on the train, it literally has almost everything going for it.

Because of its reputation flats are ludicrously cheap, 50 grand for a 2 bed tenement in Annette street for example is ridiclously low. I would suggest that over the next few years, students, professionals, first time buyers that can't afford pollokshields or shawlands will look to Govanhill. Even now if you take a wander down Vicky road in the afternoon, there's a mix of Romas, Eastern Europeans, young professionals, students and hipsters.

Edited by Mox

Going to a pub on Victoria Rd with loads of football fans bit different than walking around during the day and night.

Christ. I agree with boy-wonder :lol: Also agree about this Govanhill baths shit.

I've just back from driving down it, and I can assure Lamia et al, it is a phuqqing shithole and an utter disgrace.

As previously said, it's a crying shame this beautiful part of Glasgow has been ruined forever, by a Pakistani landlord in the pay of a corrupt Labour Council.

Christ. I agree with boy-wonder :lol: Also agree about this Govanhill baths shit.

I've just back from driving down it, and I can assure Lamia et al, it is a phuqqing shithole and an utter disgrace.

As previously said, it's a crying shame this beautiful part of Glasgow has been ruined forever, by a Pakistani landlord in the pay of a corrupt Labour Council.

Agree 100% - Roma's are everywhere, place is rancid.

Honest te Christ, Jock. If I was in a squad car this morning, it'd make no difference to them. The place is basically a ghetto and a no-go area.

Did the last rapist get caught?

Folk fe the north (and south) don't understand.

A no go area haha? That is utter pish, total scaremongering of the highest order. You would think it was Aleppo the way you're talking.

Mox I grew up in Rutherglen,I stayed on Buttergiggins Road when I was 18/19 and then lived not far from Victoria Rd between 94-2010,i have mates that stay in Strathbungo,i played football in the area,went to the cueball back in the day ,Eglinton Toll cinema etc etc etc so I know what the area looked like then and what it looks like now.

I wish I shared your optimism mate but sadly I think it's went too far the other way

ps

I'll be over a week on Sunday for the Turner Prize at the Tramway (yes I'm that wanky) :wink2:

Surprised to read this. It's not an area i frequent that often but always thought it was a pretty nice part of town. Was there a few months back and didn't notice anything particularly alarming.

Surprised to read this. It's not an area i frequent that often but always thought it was a pretty nice part of town. Was there a few months back and didn't notice anything particularly alarming.

There was a gang rape and an armed robbery in one week when i lived there. Both within about 300 metres from my front door. I moved out and paid my mortgage and rent in another house just to get away.

This is very interesting. A big flat old style overlooking Queens park is still 200k'ish. This about 50m's away from Glasgow City Council's Govanhill 'experiment'. These old grand flats overlooking QP are about to crash because Govanhill has been turned into a ghetto.

If I owned one of these (now) hugely overpriced QP properties I would sue GSC form now to the end of time. They have willingly turned a segment of historical Glasgow into a sleezey slum and they should be held accountable. Glasgow city council are scum. Get them to .

They're cracking gaffs - sadly, Moira Jones lived in one of them. Edited by Charlie Endell