Golfers Forum. - Page 9 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

How did you get on?

That was my home course when I was a lad - still love the approach shot to the 12th, with the clubhouse behind.

I've only played it twice but it's one of my favorite courses. I like the wee dog leg near the end - 16th maybe?

Voucher hunting very unsuccessful.

After 2 hours sleep and a stinking hangover I proceeded to absolutely rip one down the first,surprising not least myself,but my pals who sat watching and listening to me warble absolute shite all the way up the road.

It all went wrong from there,apart from my approach at the last,a towering wedge from 104 yards which stopped dead about a foot from the hole.

Everything else in between was pitiful to say the least.

Ah well,onwards and upwards. :lol:

Voucher hunting very unsuccessful.

After 2 hours sleep and a stinking hangover I proceeded to absolutely rip one down the first,surprising not least myself,but my pals who sat watching and listening to me warble absolute shite all the way up the road.

It all went wrong from there,apart from my approach at the last,a towering wedge from 104 yards which stopped dead about a foot from the hole.

Everything else in between was pitiful to say the least.

Ah well,onwards and upwards. :lol:

I've done the exact same thing there, 1st tee is set up for failure ,high up overlooked by clubhouse/pro shop/locker room entrance, Ive sent a screamer down the first only to proceed to sclaff my way round, few balls in the devron leading up to the 18th then slice one into the rough on the 18th on the right near the road and proceed to boom it onto the top tier of the green and hole the putt.... still didn't win anything on the outing tho....apart from a bottle in the raffle....plus its the best cullen skink I've had in my pluff,this would have been circa 2000...

How did you get on?

That was my home course when I was a lad - still love the approach shot to the 12th, with the clubhouse behind.

Sorry, Evil. Missed your post about this.

Aye, played well. I just love the place. I think it's the 6th and your second shot, you can make out Arran. Just a beautiful parkland course - easily up there in my top 5. You were a lucky boy having that as your home course.

Hooking everything in sight today. Tried opening stance, club face open - nae joy. True to form the only straight shot I hit was on a right to left dog-leg :lol:

Check your swing plane. Is it quite flat? Try more vertical and set your wrists at waist height.

Edited by redstevie007

Split my driver head wide open last time I was playing (no idea how, but it looks a cracker now!!), any advice for a driver for a high handicapper?

Best bit of advice I could give you is to spend your money on some lessons first. Most higher handicappers, that I know, Make some very basic errors that has them firing balls all over the shop. A new driver, no matter what one it is, won't really help.

If I did need to pick one I would say callaway are generally quite forgiving. Club heads usually very light, designed to get the ball up and away so ideal for higher handicappers.

Good luck with whatever you choose mate, it truly is a of a game :)

Aye, always have had a flat swing. Uncle Bob Torrance coached me as a bairn, and he loved Hogan.

Obviously I wouldn't want to contradict the great man's teachings but maybe over the years you've developed a bit of a 'baseball' swing? Try steepening it just a bit and you might cure your hook.