Golfers Forum. - Page 11 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Golfers Forum.

dandydunn

I only like putting, i used to be really good at it. It was the pain getting to the green that done me. Anytime i tried to do a full swing with some power the ball just went all over the place. Do a 3/4 swing and less power striaght as a die but 50-80 yards shorter. I would rarely 3 putt though, and folk on the course would ask me for tips and shit, then i;d tee off and folk would be like WTF!!

So aye stopped playing as i was shyte at it apart from putting. Had like 20 golf lessons as well for swinging clubs, never had a putting lesson.

Drive for show, putt for dough. I often think it's like two different sports. One sport to get to the green, then another to get the ball in the whole. Unfortunately, you need to be good at both.

I only like putting, i used to be really good at it. It was the pain getting to the green that done me. Anytime i tried to do a full swing with some power the ball just went all over the place. Do a 3/4 swing and less power striaght as a die but 50-80 yards shorter. I would rarely 3 putt though, and folk on the course would ask me for tips and shit, then i;d tee off and folk would be like WTF!!

So aye stopped playing as i was shyte at it apart from putting. Had like 20 golf lessons as well for swinging clubs, never had a putting lesson.

Putting is definitely a natural talent. I am utter shite. Hit a 4-iron to a foot the other day, and missed the bloody putt.

Drive for show, putt for dough. I often think it's like two different sports. One sport to get to the green, then another to get the ball in the whole. Unfortunately, you need to be good at both.

It seemed like two different sports to me, where i was as good at one as i was shite at another. No much dough to be had when you're putting for a bogey all the time lol. Although i got a hole in one at Balbardie 9 holer on my 12th birthday, even though i over-shot the hole by about 20 yards it bounced off the bank at the back and just ran 30 odd yards into the hole.

Putting is definitely a natural talent. I am utter shite. Hit a 4-iron to a foot the other day, and missed the bloody putt.

See if we could team up and you play to the green and i come on and putt for you and we can start chasing down Tiger and Jack majors totals, i'll caddy and tell you the putting lines to take.

Edited by phart

It seemed like two different sports to me, where i was as good at one as i was shite at another. No much dough to be had when you're putting for a bogey all the time lol. Although i got a hole in one at Balbardie 9 holer on my 12th birthday, even though i over-shot the hole by about 20 yards it bounced off the bank at the back and just ran 30 odd yards into the hole.

See if we could team up and you play to the green and i come on and putt for you and we can start chasing down Tiger and Jack majors totals, i'll caddy and tell you the putting lines to take.

i have always thought that would be a good idea for a doubles competition.

Nothing to do with your build, Kevie. A wee lassie in our club hits it a mile, and she's aboot 4ft. It's clubhead speed.

If you ever saw that film with Adam Sandler (the name escapes me), think of him taking a run at it in the downswing. The power comes from the legs. When you get to the top, fling everything you've got onto your left-side (if you're right-handed).

Cheers, my man.

I think it's my own fear of trying to hard to push all the power on to the left and either hooking or slice (it's bound to go either way). Heading to the range tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Does anyone use a golf GPS and if so any recommendations ?

My game isn't at a place where I know exactly how far each club goes as I struggle to hit the same shot twice but think the device would be handy for knowing how far to the green or for a lay up

Or are they a waste of money and better trusting your eye and hoping for the best ?

Does anyone use a golf GPS and if so any recommendations ?

My game isn't at a place where I know exactly how far each club goes as I struggle to hit the same shot twice but think the device would be handy for knowing how far to the green or for a lay up

Or are they a waste of money and better trusting your eye and hoping for the best ?

I hate the bloody things. Total waste of cash if you ask me. Might be alright on a still day, but not when you've got a force 10 coming at you. Always go by your own judgement.

I hate the bloody things. Total waste of cash if you ask me. Might be alright on a still day, but not when you've got a force 10 coming at you. Always go by your own judgement.

That's fair enough for a single handicappers mate but they can be a useful learning tool I reckon. How many times do you see lads coming up short or going long by 50 yards. A lot of guys just go out in the course and don't have a clue how far the hit their irons.

I use them on odd occasions. If I was playing a course I had never been to before or if it was quite hilly for example they can be handy. Wouldn't be spending money on them though. Plenty of free iPhone apps out there.

That's fair enough for a single handicappers mate but they can be a useful learning tool I reckon. How many times do you see lads coming up short or going long by 50 yards. A lot of guys just go out in the course and don't have a clue how far the hit their irons.

I use them on odd occasions. If I was playing a course I had never been to before or if it was quite hilly for example they can be handy. Wouldn't be spending money on them though. Plenty of free iPhone apps out there.

Aye, suppose they have their uses. I'm just an auld traditionalist - was playing with hickory shafts until last year :lol:

Aye, suppose they have their uses. I'm just an auld traditionalist - was playing with hickory shafts until last year :lol:

Haha fair one

Kevie btw best advice I could give you is book a couple of lessons. I told my auld man this for 5 years until I caved and got him some last year. 8 shots off his handicap after spending the previous 5 years at 26.

:)

The pull up tartan socks tae?

Oh, aye. Of course.

Agree with Angus - you should book a few lessons.

Speaking of which, just saw on Facebook my mate gave a few to Schivcenko (the fitballer). He's Director of Golf now for the Russian Federation. No bad for a guy from a high-rise in Bellahouston!

I use a sky caddie but thinking of changing to this.

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Bushnell-Neo-Ghost-Golf-GPS-White.html#SID=6502

The apps are ok,but remember,you shouldn't be using your phone if playing in a competition.

Some people can be very picky about a competitor using a device that can tell you the weather etc.

And im pretty sure it's against the rules.

The apps are ok,but remember,you shouldn't be using your phone if playing in a competition.

Some people can be very picky about a competitor using a device that can tell you the weather etc.

And im pretty sure it's against the rules.

It is very definitely against the rules. Automatic disqualification for anybody found using one.

Don't need it for my track but enjoy playing different courses and often struggle for blind tee shots especially if there are burns etc on the courses, got a good App on the phone but it seems run the battery down so thinking on investing in some kind of GPS but to much choice out there

Don't need it for my track but enjoy playing different courses and often struggle for blind tee shots especially if there are burns etc on the courses, got a good App on the phone but it seems run the battery down so thinking on investing in some kind of GPS but to much choice out there

Aye, there is a huge range available. From the basic wrist watch type which tells you distance to the green and nothing else, to the ones that give you a wee map with all the distances to hazards etc. In my experience, the fancier the gadget the slower the player is. IMO slow play is the most annoying thing in golf. If it was up to me I would ban the lot of them. I might make an exception for one eyed golfers though.

Aye, there is a huge range available. From the basic wrist watch type which tells you distance to the green and nothing else, to the ones that give you a wee map with all the distances to hazards etc. In my experience, the fancier the gadget the slower the player is. IMO slow play is the most annoying thing in golf. If it was up to me I would ban the lot of them. I might make an exception for one eyed golfers though.

It's the choice that's the problem, something to say where hazards are and how far to the green would be all I was looking for but they all seem to say they do that

Couldn't agree more about slow play

It's the choice that's the problem, something to say where hazards are and how far to the green would be all I was looking for but they all seem to say they do that

Couldn't agree more about slow play

Watch out for the ones that charge you a subscription every year. I know a few folk who have been caught out by that.

I don't know much about the different types. I've never used them. From watching other fok use them though, I would say they are more of a distraction than a help.

Don't forget that if you are playing competitions, you need to check that the course you are playing has a local rule which allows these devices or you might find yourself getting disqualified.

Correct. They are barred from all competition, save local rulings in some places which allow them. Not worth the bother for the shame of being punted oot!

I've got a Garmin GPS, and its great, it certainly doesn't slow me down.

It would save a shite player loads of shots and helps with course management,

It depends on how shyte these "shite" players are. Most properly shyte players can't hit the ball consistently enough for these devices to be of any help to them. They should in theory be more useful for better golfers who know exactly what distance they hit each and and can do so consistently. But most low handicappers, that I know, don't use them.