Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal

Because they, if smart, will save for a deposit when enjoying cheaper rental costs than mortgage interest. If not smart they will just drink the difference and whinge about unaffordability and be forced to relocate to cheaper areas.

Only if prices rise faster than those savings is there an issue and that's pretty much limited to inner city Sydney and Melbourne which are now eye watering.

JohnnieX - people have been predicting a crash for 20 yrs but foreign investment from China continues strongly.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reporting in the media of this has been pretty pish poor. You would have thought that by now some investigative journalist would have been able to do some digging and find out what she has actually been up to. So far there has just been loads of innuendo suggesting that she has been up to something dodgy. It sounds dodgy to me as well. But this story has been going for a wee while now and they are still not telling us what she has done wrong.

They can't even get their facts straight.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/once-more-for-the-folks-at-home/#more-76341

when I was trying to sell my flat I spent 10 minutes googling the owner bird from a flyer I got through the door from a similar company M&F.

She was all over bookface boasting how she identifies folk in desperate need of a sale and goes in way below market value.

Some folk on here trying to defend this action because the lassie is SNP

Scunnered is right

Horrible bastards

when I was trying to sell my flat I spent 10 minutes googling the owner bird from a flyer I got through the door from a similar company M&F.

She was all over bookface boasting how she identifies folk in desperate need of a sale and goes in way below market value.

Scunnered is right

Horrible bastards

OK so don't know the detail of this but what we are saying is what she has done is morally distasteful - and exploitative?

But she hasn't done anything illegal - is that right? So how is it a scandal?

OK so don't know the detail of this but what we are saying is what she has done is morally distasteful - and exploitative?

But she hasn't done anything illegal - is that right? So how is it a scandal?

I never claimed she'd done anything illegal. I just claimed she was immoral and a scumbag. I'm pretty happy with my analysis.

I am going to kill this profile. This board used to be a good laugh and there were some intelligent people on here who could argue point with counter point, fact with counter fact then throw in a little joke for light relief. Someone recently pointed out that the board seems to be on the wane....
its no wonder - just in this thread for trying to make the point that buying and selling property is not immoral - maybe an unpopular point right now - but instead of being put right with examples, reason or simply ignored I was subjected to abuse and name calling - "fanny" and "scumbag" etc.
When evasive discussions and aggressive personal insults become the norm then people will back away, I guess its the boards lookout if this is what they want.
It seems that these days there are a handful of anti-SNP bullies with too much time on their hands. There are a lot of pro-SNP and pro-yes people on here (as you might find anywhere) and the board would benefit from a wider range of views. But a few obsessive anti-SNP heavies waiting on the corner, name calling, closing down debates and resorting to personal insults if anyone says anything remotely in support of the SNP is not balance. Maybe this works both ways but it is still wrong regardless of your position.
There is too little discussion, analysis or reasoned debate - posts and questions aimed at sparking debate quickly attract childish insults and name calling within a few minutes of posting - its no wonder people don't want to post. It has become a horrible abusive wee place.......

Scunnered is right

Horrible bastards

I'm not defending her but I'm not going to condemn her either until I find out what she has done wrong. Nobody seems to be willing to tell us.

So far she only seems to guilty of buy a house ( I initially thought those stories were about loads of different houses but it now seems to be lots of stories about the same house) for as little as possible and selling it for as much as possible. Which is kinda how businesses work in my experience. And she rents out houses, loads of folk do that.

There seems to be something dodgy about the "cashback" thing. You would think journalists would be investigating that and telling us what it is all about? I'm not sure why they aren't.

Because they, if smart, will save for a deposit when enjoying cheaper rental costs than mortgage interest. If not smart they will just drink the difference and whinge about unaffordability and be forced to relocate to cheaper areas.

Only if prices rise faster than those savings is there an issue and that's pretty much limited to inner city Sydney and Melbourne which are now eye watering.

JohnnieX - people have been predicting a crash for 20 yrs but foreign investment from China continues strongly.

If people are earning a passive income and are able to retire early etc then that money is coming directly from their tenants reducing their ability to save for a deposit etc.

They are also not selling properties as they move on meaning less supply and higher prices.

I am not saying this is wrong but to think that this is not impacting anyone adversely is nonsense. The people impacted are exactly the same hairdressers etc that you are cheering for doing good.

Not sure if it cool to quote Marx but It's almost a textbook example of rentierism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentier_capitalism

I am going to kill this profile. This board used to be a good laugh and there were some intelligent people on here who could argue point with counter point, fact with counter fact then throw in a little joke for light relief. Someone recently pointed out that the board seems to be on the wane....
its no wonder - just in this thread for trying to make the point that buying and selling property is not immoral - maybe an unpopular point right now - but instead of being put right with examples, reason or simply ignored I was subjected to abuse and name calling - "fanny" and "scumbag" etc.
When evasive discussions and aggressive personal insults become the norm then people will back away, I guess its the boards lookout if this is what they want.
It seems that these days there are a handful of anti-SNP bullies with too much time on their hands. There are a lot of pro-SNP and pro-yes people on here (as you might find anywhere) and the board would benefit from a wider range of views. But a few obsessive anti-SNP heavies waiting on the corner, name calling, closing down debates and resorting to personal insults if anyone says anything remotely in support of the SNP is not balance. Maybe this works both ways but it is still wrong regardless of your position.
There is too little discussion, analysis or reasoned debate - posts and questions aimed at sparking debate quickly attract childish insults and name calling within a few minutes of posting - its no wonder people don't want to post. It has become a horrible abusive wee place.......

A wee bit drama queenish? Naw?

I'm not defending her but I'm not going to condemn her either until I find out what she has done wrong. Nobody seems to be willing to tell us.

So far she only seems to guilty of buy a house ( I initially thought those stories were about loads of different houses but it now seems to be lots of stories about the same house) for as little as possible and selling it for as much as possible. Which is kinda how businesses work in my experience. And she rents out houses, loads of folk do that.

There seems to be something dodgy about the "cashback" thing. You would think journalists would be investigating that and telling us what it is all about? I'm not sure why they aren't.

Maybe because it was above board just and this is basically a shit throwing competition..

Also has anyone looked where these houses are rented out? Is it impoverished families or is it people that are renting for ease?

Many questions and no credible answers..

:lol:

Your post is fvcking hilarious coming from the guy who:

- was unable to read and understand in previous posts

- Incorrectly claimed that i attack the SNP on every issue, simply because you're too blinkered to see another viewpoint

- Called me a "commmie"

If anyone does the bullying on here, it's the pro-SNP mob on here. Look at the way the mods change things in the swear filter in order to bully Scunnered. It's sad and pathetic.

Throw your toys out the pram if you like. You offer feck all positive to a debate anyway.

There's more than one house.

Let's not pretend this is your normal buying and selling of a house,I do get people buy and sell houses but this way is immoral.

You were doing so well, almost a perfect post :lol:.

Gulags will be exclusively for Nationalists and the shite left :wink2:

Will there be any tolerance of us capitalist pigs in yourself and Parklife's independent Scotland?

I've already put hours of work into a business plan for selling Beatles and Bruce Springsteen records from the back of my Trabant. It's be a shame to see that work go to waste.

Mee, sounds interesting I will read tomorrow.

I don't profess to be an expert in buy to let and I haven't personally availed myself to it, although I have considered it.

In practice most folk who do this down under tend to invest in areas that are a bit cheaper, ie a city ctr worker might happily rent, but buy a investment in a country town.

I suppose the question is at the end of the chain is there enough left. The other salient fact is govt breaks to encourage investors, that both the current right wing govt and the previous centre left one were happy to have in place.

I never claimed she'd done anything illegal. I just claimed she was immoral and a scumbag. I'm pretty happy with my analysis.

Fine but as usual the media are all over the place with made up numbers and words like scandal and dodgy dealing?

Can't see that anything like that had been proved yet.

Folk could have their house on the market for ages and be up to their eyeballs in debt to the bank,then along comes one these "property solution" companies to take all your worries away with one click of a button.

Make no mistake these companies are the Wongas of the property market.

Mee, sounds interesting I will read tomorrow.

I don't profess to be an expert in buy to let and I haven't personally availed myself to it, although I have considered it.

In practice most folk who do this down under tend to invest in areas that are a bit cheaper, ie a city ctr worker might happily rent, but buy a investment in a country town.

I suppose the question is at the end of the chain is there enough left. The other salient fact is govt breaks to encourage investors, that both the current right wing govt and the previous centre left one were happy to have in place.

Every one thats bought has a marginal impact, and will have displaced someone from buying their own home providing their family with security, ability to save for their own retirement etc. Should the person in the country who can now no longer buy a house in their own town because of the city folk buy a couple of shacks in a poorer country to milk those folk?

There was a scandal last week about a guy jacking up the price of aids medicines in America after his hedge fund bought a pharmaceutical company might be capitalism in action but it doest make it a good thing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34331761

Housing is right down at the bottom of the hierarchy of needs yet everyone wants to leverage themselves in for a slice of the action. Personally I'm not a fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs#Physiological_needs

There's more than one house.

Let's not pretend this is your normal buying and selling of a house,I do get people buy and sell houses but this way is immoral.

It's the way all houses are bought and sold. Have you ever bought or sold a house? If you're buying you try to get it for the lowest price possible and if your selling you sell it to the highest bidder. In this case there was only one bidder as nobody else seemed to want to buy the house. The seller was quite happy with the deal and only became annoyed when they found out that the company was better at selling than they had been and managed to get a higher price for it. Loads of folk make a living out of being good at selling stuff. Are you saying that good salesmen shouldn't be allowed to be MPs either?

Is buying and selling used cars immoral?

Let's not pretend going to buy a car and haggling over £50,a tank of petrol and a years MOT is the same thing as bidding £24,000 under the asking price (33%) of a house that someone is struggling to sell and is under severe financial pressure to do so .Please.You're better than that mate.

Let's not pretend going to buy a car and haggling over £50,a tank of petrol and a years MOT is the same thing as bidding £24,000 under the asking price (33%) of a house that someone is struggling to sell and is under severe financial pressure to do so .Please.You're better than that mate.

What was the "asking price"?

I think you might be getting mixed up with the eventual selling price. The original sellers couldn't get anywhere near that price. From what I can see, they got no offers at all. I don't know what the asking price was. i don't think that has been reported. You would have thought a half decent journalist could easily find out though.

My point isn't so much about the deals themselves, it's the media reporting of the story. Why aren't they going after the real story behind all this instead of just putting a disgruntled couple on the telly?