Way Off The Pace? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Way Off The Pace?

macy37

Not a great shock that they're streets ahead of us, their advantage comes from the speed of moving the ball connected to the movement of players. To be honest we have played fairly well, considering the quality of some of their passing (defending for first goal aside)

Not a great shock that they're streets ahead of us, their advantage comes from the speed of moving the ball connected to the movement of players. To be honest we have played fairly well, considering the quality of some of their passing (defending for first goal aside)

Deluded.

The quality of their passing is what it should be. Ours is embarrassing. Add that our delivery from dead balls.

Yet again though fans and pundits will claim a valiant defeat.

Nauseous.

I agree we are not good enough, but we haven't been good enough for years - but measuring us against the World Champions is not the most helpful comparison We should be learning from them, their movement, their speed of pass, but at the moment we have to aspire to be closer to them - not to be them.

No idea how James Morrison stayed on the pitch today... The referee or Strachan really should have put him out of his misery. We were crying out for someone that actually knows how to make a 5 yard pass (like Darren Fletcher).... Glad that Morrison's going to miss the Poland game now.

We need Craig Gordon back in goal. Marshall's made his costly mistake now to merit dropping him, but it shouldn't have come to that. The bottom line is that while we've got 3 good keepers, Gordon's the best.

I like Strachan... He was my favourite player when I was wee, and I really like his footballing philosophy... However, I really think he's starting to struggle to see the trees from the James Forrest.

We played much better than on Friday.but we were still our own worst enemy and constantly put ourselves under unnecessary pressure by giving the ball away.

I agree we are not good enough, but we haven't been good enough for years - but measuring us against the World Champions is not the most helpful comparison We should be learning from them, their movement, their speed of pass, but at the moment we have to aspire to be closer to them - not to be them.

Agree with this but what have we been dong about it for all these years? You just get the feeling that we will forever be happy to just compete and make up the numbers.

Even if we do somehow still qualify (which would be great) what's the actual point? We will go there wth a, 'it's just great to be here' attitude and get turned over.

When will we as a nation actually aspire to be world beaters at our national sport!?

Think back to the start of the campaign, in fact further back to Wembley...remember the 1-touch passing & moving ? We did it in Dortmund & against the Poles, where the has it gone ? All that stuff about being brave on the ball, passing forward instead of back, we've regressed. Maybe it's just that the squad has a freakish number of players off form, or carrying wee knocks/concussions, but our bravery and slick passing game has gone AWOL.

Edited by cheesynsicksheep

We played much better than on Friday.but we were still our own worst enemy and constantly put ourselves under unnecessary pressure by giving the ball away.

I think you are slightly under estimating how well they pressed us tonight. We are not at a level to comfortably pass the ball consistently while being pressed heavily. They make the game look simple but their movement and passing was top quality tonight. Not many sides operate at that level. Towards the end of the game we paid price for chasing them in previous 75 mins.

Even if we do somehow still qualify (which would be great) what's the actual point? We will go there wth a, 'it's just great to be here' attitude and get turned over.

I don't that's the case. There's plenty of teams that will qualify for this one that are at our level.

I don't that's the case. There's plenty of teams that will qualify for this one that are at our level.

We also seem to compete better in games with teams of our level or better. Germany home and away, Ireland, Poland. The games where we seem to struggle to perform are against weaker sides, Georgia home and away and even Gibraltar. We seem to have some mental block or attitude problem when we are expected to win. We wouldn't come up against that at Euro's.

Marshall looked ropey.

Hutton - get him to . He can't cross the ball, he doesn't look up. He goes to ground when he loses the ball. Terrible first touch.

We cannot string passes together, we look about 3 divisions below Germany.

Steven Fletcher needs binned to the bench. I doubt Griffiths is any better at this level, but we need to try something else. Fletch probably good to chuck on if winning.

This has been coming though. Qatar, NI, Ireland matches - were similar. We do not create at all. We can't unlock defenses. We have one creative player in Maloney. We cannot seem to hold on to the ball for any period of time. Sure, it was Germany tonight and a very difficult game, but on Friday we were brutal at that. How long do we take with throw ins, and there's no movement at all from players.

It was 3-2 going on 7 if they really could be arsed to hump us.

I think we did reasonably well considering our opponents, but the reason we are mumping, is because it all comes back to Georgia.

We can get to the Playoffs though, but certainly got getting my hopes up. No doubt come next month we'll all be raring to go again, but if we do somehow get the Playoffs we are looking at some very hard matches possibly Ukraine, Turkey/Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark.

Marshall looked ropey.

Hutton - get him to . He can't cross the ball, he doesn't look up. He goes to ground when he loses the ball. Terrible first touch.

Steven Fletcher needs binned to the bench. I doubt Griffiths is any better at this level, but we need to try something else. Fletch probably good to chuck on if winning.

This has been coming though. Qatar, NI, Ireland matches - were similar. We do not create at all. We can't unlock defenses. We have one creative player in Maloney. We cannot seem to hold on to the ball for any period of time. Sure, it was Germany tonight and a very difficult game, but on Friday we were brutal at that. How long do we take with throw ins, and there's no movement at all from players.

I think we did reasonably well considering our opponents, but the reason we are mumping, is because it all comes back to Georgia.

We can get to the Playoffs though, but certainly got getting my hopes up. No doubt come next month we'll all be raring to go again, but if we do somehow get the Playoffs we are looking at some very hard matches possibly Ukraine, Turkey/Netherlands, Croatia, Denmark.

100% agree.

Marshall looked ropey.

think that was one of huttons better games of late ...... got into decent positions at both ends, yer hoping he makes a decisive pass but he doesnt...... but not sure any alternatives at right back would even get into those postitions

We can still get to the playoffs and qualify from them. If we manage it everything will be forgotten but reality is that we are a Pot 5 team on skill. In 1996 we were ordinary, in 1998 mediocre and since then progressively worse. We qualified for Euro 1992 with 8 teams and looks like we won`t make a 24-team tournament 24 years later. In a playing sense we offered nothing in 1998 and we won`t if we qualify for next year but it has to be our major target along with producing top players.