Films Begging To Be Remade - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Films Begging To Be Remade

I only see the point of remaking flawed films that had good ideas but that didn't quite work out.

In the main I think that's true, but there are some great old films that many will never watch, so why not do a remake? I'm thinking of All Quiet on the Western Front. Great original movie, but few will ever watch it. They tried a remake with John Boy Walton (which was poor), but a remake in the style of Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan could be fantastic.

A good remake is No Way Out with Kevin Costner, which came from The Big Clock. Sean Young is awful as usual, and it's a little dated, but it's a decent film with a great ending.

The Thing was f***in terrifying! Couldn't watch it again for years :ph34r:

It didn't have anything in common with the '50s film other than the title, did it? (Haven't seen the original).

Saw it was coming on TV a few months back and having had the same experience as you when it first came out I sat down to watch, warning the wife that it was kak-your-pants stuff. Seemed surprisingly tame and a fair amount of piss was ripped. Still a great movie though - as Ally says: John Carpenter de man. Must try to see Dark Star again.

As for films that need remaking, I tend to agree with Charlie Endell - never touch the classics. It's films that had an outstanding concept but duff execution that would benefit from a second attempt. So Lesbian Vampire Killers is an obvious contender - what a missed opportunity that was...

Brighton Rock (a brilliant book and film) - another pish remake - although not as diabolically bad as Get Carter or The Wicker Man. I haven't even attempted to watch the remake of The Ladykillers (Hanks alone being in it is enough to put me off).

Edited by Charlie Endell

The Running Man is due a remake, what with all the reality TV material of late and also the increasing push of society to the right...

Also, I hope to god no, but I've heard they are looking at remaking Big Trouble in little China.

The Running Man is due a remake, what with all the reality TV material of late and also the increasing push of society to the right...

Also, I hope to god no, but I've heard they are looking at remaking Big Trouble in little China.

Did they not update the running man with Colin Farrell or Jason statham or a similar story at least? Edited by Boynze

Culloden.The one made with brian blessed was an absolute joke.The budget couldnt have been more than a few thousand.

That would be good. Would prefer it to be something like a 10 part HBO miniseries. Really get into character development and massive set piece battle scenes.

J