Tamb Running Thread - Page 41 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Do not go for goretex - once the water is in its not coming out. Water doesn't just come through the shoe but in over the ankle. What you need is a shoe that lets water out easily and lets you feet dry quickly.

Salamon are certainly a very good make (I use crossmax cr2 and have done for trail races up to 53m)

Decide if its more open fell / mud you will be running on (go for a fell shoe like Salamon speedcross or Muddyclaw which have more grip but less cushioning) or if its more track / trail (go for something with more cushioning but more grip than a road shoe). Plenty of makes for trail shoes along with Salamon such as Asics, NB. Hokas are a popular make but they look like clown shoes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm constantly running through bogs, rivers, streams etc. and I wouldn't want to do it in a pair of goretex. Different in walking boots where you are unlikely to go deep enough for water to go over the higher ankle.

thats fair enough. I never had any issues. Each to their own and aw that.

Bought a pair of Speedcross 3's

Good stuff, hope they do the job for you. Salamoms stuff really is great quality. Know so many folk with different sets of their running shoes now.

• 3 weeks later...

Am training for a half marathon just now having pretty much only run 5ks and 10ks up to now. Went for a long run last night - my longest yet. I usually run 10ks at around 50 mins, so I deliberately slowed it down to an even 5 mins 30 secs per km at first. Got just over 55 mins for the first 10k as per the plan, then averaged 5 mins 45 per km for the next 5k. After that I was struggling, averaging over 6 mins for each of the next 2km and stopping at about 17.5km. That was about the distance I was after but it was fecking hard going at the end.

Any advice on how to improve?Should I pick up the pace after the first few km when it's still feasible? Answers on a postcard... Cheers

It's logical to struggle on half if your usual runs are 5k or 10k. The only way to deal with it is to lengthen your runs, and adapt your pace from the beginning. If you start too fast, some people say that the seconds you win at the beginning will be minutes you loose at the end. It is a little exagerated but the idea is right.

If your aim is to run a half, there is no real need to run 21kms (or more) everytime you run. Run your usual 10k (or approx) 2 times a week, and 1 time a week make it 17 or 18. That's enough.

Do you have a time target?

Edited by McVinceSCT

Took 25 secs off my parkrun PB today - had virtually identical splits for the first 3km but finished the last 2km quicker, so the longer runs seem to be having some effect. Lovely day for it too.

Well done. It was a great day for it if a bit hot on the lower prom.

Cheers - I saw that Flat Earth managed a new PB as well, as did a mate of mine whose PB had stood since last autumn. Not quite sure how that all coincided yesterday, given that it was definitely on the warm side. Encouraging though...

Cheers - I saw that Flat Earth managed a new PB as well, as did a mate of mine whose PB had stood since last autumn. Not quite sure how that all coincided yesterday, given that it was definitely on the warm side. Encouraging though...

I had my fastest run of 2015 so I was pleased too :)