Tamb Running Thread - Page 31 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully no real stiffness today.

Probably just a gentle 6 mile run tonight.

My run wasn't overly well planned out though, doing the 17th mile up a steep hill wasn't the smartest of moves.

Good planning if you train for Loch Ness Marathon though :wink2:

Ankle is seriously playing up, no idea what has caused it but it is agony today - only managed 1k and gave up. The inside of my ankle keeps swelling up :(

Think I am going to have to rest it F*CK

Looking for some advice on when to have my longest planned run (probably 22 or 23 miles) ahead of the Edinburgh Marathon on 31st May.

I've noticed that I'll be off work on Monday 20th April as we are closed for the Aberdeen holiday, so that would potentially be an ideal day to do it.

Would that be too early?

Looking for some advice on when to have my longest planned run (probably 22 or 23 miles) ahead of the Edinburgh Marathon on 31st May.

I've noticed that I'll be off work on Monday 20th April as we are closed for the Aberdeen holiday, so that would potentially be an ideal day to do it.

Would that be too early?

Might be a bit too far from you but it is the May weekend - you might want to think about the Edinburgh to North Berwick 20 mile race on Sat 2nd May.

I think its aimed at those (such as myself and yourself) doing the Edinburgh marathon a few weeks later.

So that is 4 weeks before the big day, which to me would seem about right for the last big run before the marathon.

3 weeks before I generally the big one I'd say.

That being said if you did your biggest run on the 20th April but followed it up with maybe a couple other slightly shorter ones you'll be fine.

I did wonder if it was maybe a bit early, just that the date fits well as it will be easier to do it on a day off and all that I reckon.

If I did it then, I'd be looking to do another 2 or 3 runs of 15/16 miles in between then and Edinburgh too plus my usual 6 mile or so runs to keep myself ticking over.

Might try and make that one a 20 mile run and see if I can get a 22/23 mile run in on a couple of weeks after it. I guess starting around the same time that the race will start is a decent idea?

If you can manage the 22/23 miles twice go for that rather than making your first long run a couple of miles shorter. It will not only give you the fitness but also the confidence you can go the distance.

General I'd say 3 weeks as well but everybody is different. I gave myself around 4 weeks last year for my longest race yet, but it turned out to be more an abrupt stop rather than a taper and found that was way too long and paid the price. This year it will be 3 weeks with a proper taper.

I did wonder if it was maybe a bit early, just that the date fits well as it will be easier to do it on a day off and all that I reckon.

If I did it then, I'd be looking to do another 2 or 3 runs of 15/16 miles in between then and Edinburgh too plus my usual 6 mile or so runs to keep myself ticking over.

Might try and make that one a 20 mile run and see if I can get a 22/23 mile run in on a couple of weeks after it. I guess starting around the same time that the race will start is a decent idea?

If that suits you then go for it. Think I read you've already done 16/17. A good 20/22 on April 20th and then maybe somewhere between 17-20 between then and marathon and I'm sure you'll be fine.

It all really depends what you're looking for. It's your first marathon, so are you just looking to finish? Run the whole way? Or a time that you're after? I would say I'm reasonably fit but it took me until my 5th marathon to run the whole way. Part of the reason for that is not doing the long runs in training. Having the miles in your legs and your head is the key imo.

As someone said above, everybody is different. Everyone has their own routines. What I've recently found works for me is making sure I've some long 20 mile runs in my legs. The short ones in between aren't so important unless you want to speed up imo.

Try to start long training runs at the same time as the marathon and figure out what and when to eat to allow you to get a decent jobbie pre race. I was amazed last year when I did a work marathon that one of the serious runners I was with (2h40 runner) would drink plenty coffee at breakfast and had 7 shits pre race. He seemed to think this was normal. He's been a serious athlete for 20+ years. Personally I'd be happy with 2. I know it sounds bizarre chat for a running thread.

I have a couple of glasses of OJ and have found flap jacks great for carbs. Easier to eat 3 flapjacks from scotmid than 2 bowls of porridge, I've found that's kept hunger at bay long enough. All helps the confidence if you've got these things sorted and know it works.

Make sure you keep the fluids up on the way round. Keep topping up with water and whatever isotonic drink they have.

If you've not been using gels then don't use them on the day. They can play havoc with your guts.

Into the taper now, did 18 miles this morning. About 12 miles in I ran past Diane's Pool Hall this morning just before 10 to see all the Edinburgh TA folks heading over to the coach before setting out for Glasgow. Really wanted to just turn round and jump on the bus too!

Edited by Pool Q