League Cup Second Round - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Cup Second Round

Go into the main stand or if its pissing it down you will be eating your words.

It's an absolute coup.

ha ha last time i was there i enjoyed it behind the goal, might be a coup but prefer it to say these new custom built stadiums which are all the same like st johnstone and Livingston

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think you will bring down the full 3500 for a midweek game?

Doubt it. I'm not great at these kind of estimates but i reckon you'll probably get 2000 or so Aberdeen fans. I'll be there :)

Do you think you will bring down the full 3500 for a midweek game?

I'd imagine 1500-ish, maybe less if it's on TV.

Good draw for both clubs...should give Hibs a decent crowd and they'll fancy a result I'd imagine. And it's the type of cup-tie that should mean that Aberdeen won't go to sleep....as they've been want to do against lower league teams at home with smaller crowds and no atmosphere.

Easily the pick of the draw, and obviously it'll be ignored by live TV who are now fighting over who gets to cover the Old Firm.

arabs v the pars think pars could bring 1500 easily

The Pars whole home support ? Hmmmm ... Maybe 500 or so, but I doubt if they'll take 1500 fans to Dundee.

In general, I don't think fitba fans get as excited about cup-ties as they did 25 years ago....especially the League Cup, which doesn't have a high profile these days.

Back in the days a cup-tie like Morton - Motherwell on a Wednesday night would have packed out Cappielow. I'll bet you the crowd for this one is around 3.5K, maybe not even that.

Edited by Rossy

Motherwell used to take 3000 anywhere for the Scottish cup, probably still get 1500-2000 most places provided it's not on TV.

Reckon we'll take a decent crowd to Cappielow as its not somewhere we've played often. (Think 1 league cup tie since the 1991 1/4 final replay?) maybe 1000?

Was about 700 at Bayview on Tuesday.

Agree with the point that cups don't seem to have quite the draw they did, particularly the league cup. I think playing the "1st round proper" (as my dad used to call it) of the Scottish cup in December is a factor, as well as TV.

Think it will largely depend on how the team are doing. Get out this rut and beat killie and put in good performances against county and accies then we'll take a good number. Lose those 3 then people will be calling for his head and probably not bother as much.

We usually take good numbers to games in the central belt that matter.

We will take 1000 no bother to Cappielow for this game

How many Morton fans will be there though ? There were probably around 4K there for the local derby against St Mirren last Friday, and I doubt if that many will turn up for a League Cup game.

There was a massive 3800 at East End for the Dundee game on Tuesday....a match that 20 years ago would have attracted around 12k.

No disrespect to anyone, but fans of middle sized clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Dundee, Killie, Motherwell etc have melted away over the years and whereas in the past, a good, rip-roaring cup tie would have got people out of the door, it rarely (and sadly) happens these days.

Shite.

Even going back to 89/90 when Dunfermline had their highest average gate in their history, Dunfermline vs Dundee wouldnae pull over 10,000.

20 years ago was 1995/96 when Dunfermline won the First Division and Dundee were in the same league.

The last game between Dundee and Dunfermline had a gate of 3,218 which is 600 short of the gate the other night.

As for taking 1,500 to Tannadice, don't see why not. Pars have been taking 700 odd to away games thus far this season and would be likely to take a big crowd up for a cup game.

Even going back to 89/90 when Dunfermline had their highest average gate in their history, Dunfermline vs Dundee wouldnae pull over 10,000.

As for taking 1,500 to Tannadice, don't see why not. Pars have been taking 700 odd to away games thus far this season and would be likely to take a big crowd up for a cup game.

I'm talking about a cup-tie. I've been at plenty at East End back in the days where the gate was over 10K. Might be more than 20 years ago though,,,, :wink2:

I remember being at cup games at Bayview against Hibs and Hearts where the old ground was packed to the rafters. Where did awbody go ? :blink:

Let's hope I'm wrong and the Pars do take a huge ground to Tannadice. I suppose it'll depend on if they keep on winning or not.

The Pars whole home support ? Hmmmm ... Maybe 500 or so, but I doubt if they'll take 1500 fans to Dundee.

In general, I don't think fitba fans get as excited about cup-ties as they did 25 years ago....especially the League Cup, which doesn't have a high profile these days.

Back in the days a cup-tie like Morton - Motherwell on a Wednesday night would have packed out Cappielow. I'll bet you the crowd for this one is around 3.5K, maybe not even that.

I've been to a few games at Pittodrie in front of 5 or 6000 over the years. Every team has peaks and troughs with crowds.

We still get big crowds for big cup games. If we got Ayr, St Mirren; Morton, Stranraer or Queens in a Scottish Cup tie I'd be confident we'd take at least 2k and in some cases (Ayr) sell out away end of 3500+ and still have fans in home end who couldn't get tickets.

I agree our home crowds have dropped however for these games. I remember playing Hibs in Skol Cup whilst in 1st Division and there being about 8k at RP.

I'm not having a go at any one club.....I just find it sad that cup games in general don't have the same pull as they used to (or seemed to have).

I suppose, being of a certain age, you end up with rose tinted glasses on when it comes to your memories. True, I've been to plenty of cup games at Pittodrie and other places back in the days where 6000 people sat shivering and wondering why the f*ck they were there.

Funnily enough, some of my special cup memories from back in the days aren't even from Pittodrie. My auld man would drive over half the country to watch games at Dunfermline, Methil, Kirkcaldy, Falkirk, Stirling, Perth, Airdrie...even Killie and Ayr....to watch a decent cup tie.

Nothing better than a Wednesday night replay at Brockville, Bayview, Anfield or wherever, when the wee team would be going for a cup shock against the 'big' team.

Ach. Memories. I'm getting auld.... :(:(