Battle Of Orgreave - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"We were fed lies about the violence at Orgreave. Now we need the truth"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/22/orgreave-truth-police-miners-strike

This refers to police fabrication of what happened and also the BBC are criticised by the miners as "They complained that the BBC had reversed footage, to show miners who threw missiles seemingly before the police charge rather than in retaliation for it....

...though this 'may be questioned'. But apparently the BBC filmed from behind police lines while ITV filmed from the miners' side.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/23/the-bbc-and-its-coverage-of-the-battle-of-orgreave

And in those days, BBC was the dominant newscaster, trusted by a naiver nation; you can imagine the miners felt they had a raw deal.

This is shocking always new we were being fed shit by the BBC over the strike and Orgreave was just legalised thuggery.Think it was the same with the battle of the beanfield and the new age travellers Thatcher gave them permission to get steamed in

For me, this episode highlights how powerful a weapon the media can be. I was just a wee laddie when the Battle of Orgreave happened but I can still remember watching TV news coverage of it. By that point TV had taught me that the police were good guys who battled baddies; so who were these baddies they were battling? In reality the 'baddies' were just ordinary guys trying to defend their livelihoods and communities (albeit they had arguably been misled by men who ought to have known better).

What I find chilling about this sad episod is the way the police were used - not as a peacekeeping force but as a kind of ersatz national guard with a brief to do the protesters in. Ordinary people turned against ordinary people - the more things change the more they stay the same. :(

Never did Orgreave.

I was banned, following the Messenger Dispute:

http://libcom.org/library/chapter-09-printworkers-struggle-warrington

Read the book: "To Break a Union', where I took on the forces of the Right' and took a doin'... well, sort of.

Plod went for me at Winwick Quay and booted the oot of the Cheshire Constabulary' who were in the pay of Thatcher and her minions.

Most Coppers were a decent sort, who knew that when the keeech finished - like the Miners - would have to work in they communities... some didnae - and fuqqem!

Different world - ye may forgive but dinnae forget!

What I find chilling about this sad episod is the way the police were used - not as a peacekeeping force but as a kind of ersatz national guard with a brief to do the protesters in. Ordinary people turned against ordinary people - the more things change the more they stay the same. :(

My Gran's nephew was a shop steward hauled right out the picket and hospitalised via mass beating.

Been down there with work a couple of times. The area has all been landscaped and much of it redeveloped as part of Sheffield Uni.

Very strange to walk around the site of such infamous history, especially since it bears no resemblance to 30 years ago...

Polis were bought. Average wage was about £150 per week. They were getting £100 per shift.

Bussed in from all over therefore they could do the business and return to wherever they worked unaffected.

My Gran's nephew was a shop steward hauled right out the picket and hospitalised via mass beating.

Jeezo, that's terrible.

There is something quite peverse about trying to persuade someone to go back to work by beating him up so badly that he can't go back to work!

Jeezo, that's terrible.

There is something quite peverse about trying to persuade someone to go back to work by beating him up so badly that he can't go back to work!

It was nothing to do with getting them back to work they had just identified certain folk on the line went in mob handed and dished out "justice" for having the temerity to Strike.

It was nothing to do with getting them back to work they had just identified certain folk on the line went in mob handed and dished out "justice" for having the temerity to Strike.

MacTaz just told me that he deserved it and that the polis were right.

And to no doubt dissuade others from poking their heads about the parapet too.