David Mundell - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The foodbank he is opening is about a hundred yards from my office in Dumfries. I was hoping to greet him and "welcome" him to the town, the wee nyaff. Anyone else fancy joining me? I have an idea that might expose him to some ridicule.

It should be noted that the correct way to pronounce his name is "Munnel, i.e the D is silent, just like Mundell when asked if he knew about #Frenchgate.

Unless it is a clever stunt, for example you set up a trestle table outside the foodbank with piles of fake money on it and call it a 'MP Bank' and throw the fake money over him like confetti when he arrives, shouting "£7,000 MP Pay rises!" whilst also resisting the urge to punch him and call him a carnt, which will be difficult.

Mundell sneaked in the rear entrance and tried to sneak back out the same way. He was met with a large crowd who let him know their views. The foodbank is not actually in his constituency but I notice that he refused to have any contact with ordinary voters despite saying he wanted to talk to people whose views were different from his own. If he thought that was a good photo opportunity, I suspect he'll now realisethat following the Scottish political awakening, it has turned into a PR disaster for him.

The crowd was entirely well behaved though vociferous.

Mundell sneaked in the rear entrance and tried to sneak back out the same way. He was met with a large crowd who let him know their views. The foodbank is not actually in his constituency but I notice that he refused to have any contact with ordinary voters despite saying he wanted to talk to people whose views were different from his own. If he thought that was a good photo opportunity, I suspect he'll now realisethat following the Scottish political awakening, it has turned into a PR disaster for him.

The crowd was entirely well behaved though vociferous.

Did you have the "Down with this sort of thing" banner or the "Careful Now" one?

That paper is immense! Can it really be classed as journalism though? I get the feeling they think they are some kind of comic just entertaining the same few readers every day, with similar mad pish that they can all get freaked out over.

That paper is immense! Can it really be classed as journalism though? I get the feeling they think they are some kind of comic just entertaining the same few readers every day, with similar mad pish that they can all get freaked out over.

That's pretty much it. I would put money on the demographic/readership being old unionist tight fisted racist torn-faced codgers. (like, oh I don't know......a father in Law or something :whistling: )

Tick Tock.

Once you get away from the inflammatory headline and the pathetic attempt to couple the protest to the SNP, the story's actually OK.

Many of the comments are also anti-Tory, for once.

The 'down with this sort of thing' photo is brilliant..

Edited by Rossy

Did you have the "Down with this sort of thing" banner or the "Careful Now" one?

I made them both plus the "irony" one. I was holding the "Down with this sort of thing" banner. I was aiming for the ridicule approach and it seems to have worked, although having my photo in the Daily Mail online makes me feel polluted. Nobody seems to have managed to photograph whoever it was that stuck the Yes sticker to Mundell's getaway car, but I seem to have one of my small remaining stock missing and no idea who took it. Probably no connection :)

I'm really glad I went to the protest, the first time I have ever done that sort of thing. There were some folk there from the Trades Union group and their leader was trying to get chants going about taxing the rich and so on but for some of us that didn't really suit the reason behind the protest - a bit too Citizen Smith. There was a broad demographic present. This was not an extreme left wing protest, nor an SNP protest. There were people there who are not politically aligned. One of them I know, a retired teacher, is in a lot of the photos, and the picture painted by the more vile unionist press frankly is diametrically opposed to what he is like. Mundell just doesn't get it.

Mark Frankland who runs the existing First Base food bank in Dumfries has an excellent blog about the protest and a lot of background info about the Trussell Trust - worth a read. I suspect his food bank is going to monopolise donations for a long time - the new foodbank franchise has alienated a lot of people by their actions, and when I say franchise, i'd suggest reading the blog to get some background - I was surprised to see what it's all about but it does shed some light on what has become almost an industry.

Edited by Alibi

I made them both plus the "irony" one. I was holding the "Down with this sort of thing" banner. I was aiming for the ridicule approach and it seems to have worked

Hat well and truly doffed, a piece of genius.

I made them both plus the "irony" one. I was holding the "Down with this sort of thing" banner. I was aiming for the ridicule approach and it seems to have worked, although having my photo in the Daily Mail online makes me feel polluted.

Aw naw.....saw your photo :( .......always had you down as a looker as well.

If it ever transpires that Scunnered is not actually handsome I may have to quit the board in disappointment :worried:

Aw naw.....saw your photo :( .......always had you down as a looker as well.

If it ever transpires that Scunnered is not actually handsome I may have to quit the board in disappointment :worried:

You're not my type anyway. Actually one of the guys near us had just told us to stop laughing and try to look serious - bit hard to do when you're holding that banner. I think in that photo I'm about to burst into hysterical laughter. The Mail could at least have photoshopped it a bit though - in fact they probably did; I'm much better looking than that. And I should have worn contact lenses. :)

Edited by Alibi

You're not my type anyway. Actually one of the guys near us had just told us to stop laughing and try to look serious - bit hard to do when you're holding that banner. I think in that photo I'm about to burst into hysterical laughter. The Mail could at least have photoshopped it a bit though - in fact they probably did; I'm much better looking than that. And I should have worn contact lenses. :)

Utter brilliance. I was rolling about the deck when I saw it :lol:

Great, thanks -very interesting read. For anyone else wanting to read, this one is the particular blog I was interested in, on the local charity background and the Trussel Trust:

http://marksimonfrankland.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/the-ugly-side-of-foodbank-game.html?m=1

The latest one, about Mundells visit is also very good though:

http://marksimonfrankland.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-day-when-david-mundell-viceroy-of.html?m=1

Edited by Maq