Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw? - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whats Everyone's Plans For The Draw?

bonny78

I seriously doubt your credentials as a Scotland fan at times. I mean for months you have spammed the board with how you want England as they are crap and now that we have drawn them you are adamant they will win the group. Therefore why weren't you hoping we'd draw a top seed we could beat to enhance our qualification hopes such as Wales or Romania?

was hoping for the sheer fun of the England fixture. Partly since we haven't had them this century. of course i think England WILL win the group but nothing would please me more if we won it instead.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I see no sheer fun in the England fixture at all. Aggro, hassle, disappointment and the English media gloating. What exactly is fun about that?

I wanted to avoid them & you may be correct with what you say (ie disappointment etc) but what if we beat them. What if!! Beating the English in competitive football in order to qualify for our first World Cup in 20 years! Bring it on...

Sorry I see no sheer fun in the England fixture at all. Aggro, hassle, disappointment and the English media gloating. What exactly is fun about that?

we got our fix all be it with a defeat in the 3-2 game, the 3-1 game i dont think anyone could be ####ed with and we got properly pumped. u can bet your house on them finishing top of our group, celebrating getting them when we are aiming to qualify for a world cup is ridiculous.

Rory I'd sooner have drawn Wales, Romania or Croatia from the top seeds - all teams we could have had a realistic chance of beating and finishing above.

i'd have taken belgium ahead of them as well.

thought we were on to a caker (wales/romania) before the pot 1 teams were drawn

Edited by LewisEDI

Everyone's talking about England but I think that Slovakia are an excellent side, solid all over with real star quality in good areas like Hamsik, Slovenia are decent too, will be difficult to beat them, games are over a year away so no guarantees over who will even be managing any of the sides, so difficult to speculate about group positions.

Are Slovakia any better than Croatia though? I day that because we did beat Croatia home and away in the last campaign. That is how we must look at that fixture - with positive (not negative) though

They're different to that Croatia side, they were poorly managed by Stimac and were very open, Slovakia are solid in transition and prefer a counter-attacking game.

I like your positivity but we could have asked if Georgia were any better than the French team we had just beat in 2007, different situations.

Spoken to a few fans over the last few days who think Second is a given for us and asking how we're going to compete against England, Slovakia could definitely beat England in a one-off match.

Looks a real tough ask to qualify tbh, especially with the quality of side who will make up the play-offs.

If you look at England's qualifying groups over the last few years, they generally have one of two games where they screw up. They do enough to qualify but it's usually not as comfortable as they would like.

Their current group is an exception as it's just about as easy a group as you can get.

Really?

Euro 16 - played 6 won 6

WC 14 - played 10 won 6 drawn 4 lost 0

Euro 12 - played 8 won 5 drawn 3 lost 0

WC 10 - played 10 won 9 lost 1

So in their last 34 qualifiers England have only lost 1 match and drawn 8.

They have one of the if not the best qualifying results in Europe.

Edited by tartanpar

Unbelievably we've never had competitive games against Hungary and Turkey either...

It is incredible that both those countries have been in draws for years and years and we have never drawn them. Last time we played Turkey was 1950!!

Really?

Euro 16 - played 6 won 6

WC 14 - played 10 won 6 drawn 4 lost 0

Euro 12 - played 8 won 5 drawn 3 lost 0

WC 10 - played 10 won 9 lost 1

So in their last 34 qualifiers England have only lost 1 match and drawn 8.

They have one of the if not the best qualifying results in Europe.

Wasn't that one defeat away in Ukraine after they'd already qualified?

England are the most predictable side in Europe because they usually beat teams you'd expect them to beat and rarely win games against the top sides in the World.

I think the point aaid was making was that it's not impossible to pick up a point here and there against England.

In WC14 qualifying they drew home and away v Ukraine, away to Moldova and away to Poland.

In WC10 qualifying they bossed it and won everything until they'd qualified.

In Euro 12 qualifying they drew at home to Switzerland and Montenegro and away to Montenegro.

In Euro 08 qualifying they lost to Croatia twice and drew with Israel away and Macedonia at home.

So although they are overwhelmingly likely to win the groups, second and third place might depend on an odd point picked up against them here and there.

They're different to that Croatia side, they were poorly managed by Stimac and were very open, Slovakia are solid in transition and prefer a counter-attacking game.

I like your positivity but we could have asked if Georgia were any better than the French team we had just beat in 2007, different situations.

Spoken to a few fans over the last few days who think Second is a given for us and asking how we're going to compete against England, Slovakia could definitely beat England in a one-off match.

Looks a real tough ask to qualify tbh, especially with the quality of side who will make up the play-offs.

Sorry but if your mentality is that this is a really tough ask to qualify then you have a low opinion on Scotland as a side.

Currently, we are still well in the shake-up in what I'd say is a tougher group than the one we have just drawn. In recent times we have lost one away match (away to Germany) in the last and this campaign so far and drawn against Poland and beat Croatia (home and away) against the big guns of the group so we have cause to be optimistic - not pessimistic. I hate to break it to you but the group we got was on nobody's prediction for the worst group we could get. In fact only one person (me) put one of our sides in teams from pots to avoid and that was Pot 5 Lithuania. Lets stop the defeatist talk and thoughts to one side and take the Strachan view point of quiet optimism.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Compare it to Sweden, Northern Ireland and Albania...

Norn ireland aint too bad but are a poor team, Albania on the other hand.....poor draw and poor side, Sweden are a better side than us and more than capable of qualifying from their group IMO.

Anyone who thinks the draw is a good ones needs sectioned.

Tough as old boots.

Contrast it to Republics or Polands....

Err I suggest you look at people's suggestions of the draw they didn't want and ours is nothing like anyone's suggestions. It could have been better but it could have been a lot worse as well.

England (give me them over Holland, Spain, Germany and possibly Belgium for a start)

Slovakia (certainly could have been worse with France, Italy, Bosnia and Austria who are a fast up and coming side in Pot 2)

Slovenia (sooner them over Ireland, Norway, Montenegro and Turkey)

Lithuania (possibly the toughest team in Pot 5 aside from Finland))

Malta (sure not as worrying as Georgia, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan or Liechtenstein)

I sometimes think people here were expecting a group of total minnows. In short our draw could have been easier but we've had it a lot tougher recently as well.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Sorry but if your mentality is that this is a really tough ask to qualify then you have a low opinion on Scotland as a side.

Currently, we are still well in the shake-up in what I'd say is a tougher group than the one we have just drawn. In recent times we have lost one away match (away to Germany) in the last and this campaign so far and drawn against Poland and beat Croatia (home and away) against the big guns of the group so we have cause to be optimistic - not pessimistic. I hate to break it to you but the group we got was on nobody's prediction for the worst group we could get. In fact only one person (me) put one of our sides in teams from pots to avoid and that was Pot 5 Lithuania. Lets stop the defeatist talk and thoughts to one side and take the Strachan view point of quiet optimism.

If this group was one qualifying place + 1 (possible) play-off this group would be an extremely hard ask too, I've not got a low opinion of this Scotland side but I've got a pretty high opinion of how hard it is to qualify.

We don't even know what the Scotland side will look like, Is Strachan even guaranteed to be in charge?

If this group was one qualifying place + 1 (possible) play-off this group would be an extremely hard ask too, I've not got a low opinion of this Scotland side but I've got a pretty high opinion of how hard it is to qualify.

We don't even know what the Scotland side will look like, Is Strachan even guaranteed to be in charge?

Jeez you are a ray of sunshine aren't you? It is a good job you aren't on the coaching staff as you'd have them mentally beaten before they step out onto the pitch. The Scotland side will look not too different as to what it is now actually and I think it is a cast iron certainty Strachan will be in charge - why wouldn't he be? He certainly won't be sacked and by all accounts he is really enjoying this challenge as it allows him the best of both worlds plus I do believe it has been said he holds no desire now to get back into league management.

This group is certainly easier than the one we had under McLeish when we had Italy, France and Ukraine in it and we narrowly missed out on a play-off spot then. Now I would confidently say we have a stronger squad, more confidence and belief than then so if we nearly made it then I see no reason to mess our pants now.