The Mummy - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Quite enjoyed this film when it came out, made all the better by the painted wifie!

But I can't be the only one who has noticed that it is never off TV. Barely a week goes by without Brendan Fraser's abnormally large heid adorning our screens as the hero.

I've been trying to find Mask and The Commitments for the kids, but they're never on. Why repeat one film over and over and over again, whilst other perfectly good films never get aired?

The 1932 Boris Karloff version is much, much better.

Introduce the kids to the "Universal Monsters" films from the 1930s. Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Freaks, The Invisible Man, The Black Cat, The Raven, Murders In The Rue Morgue, The Old Dark House.

All really creepy and atmospheric with proper acting from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

A lot of them are on Youtube or on other film sites if you know where to look. Can order them online quite cheaply on DVD too.

Got to make them see the light somehow ! When their the right age they'll love Psycho.

Can't remember when the BBC last put a James Cagney, Bette Davies, Errol Flynn or Greta Garbo film on. It's been about ten years since they've last showed any Laurel & Hardy films or the Rathbone & Bruce series of Sherlock Holmes films. :(

Got to make them see the light somehow ! When their the right age they'll love Psycho.

Can't remember when the BBC last put a James Cagney, Bette Davies, Errol Flynn or Greta Garbo film on. It's been about ten years since they've last showed any Laurel & Hardy films or the Rathbone & Bruce series of Sherlock Holmes films. :(

ET re rathbone and Bruce think it is s copyright issue 2 of the films can be shown free ( one one on the train and one other one) and they were on recently as I recoded them but all the others are available on you tube in their entirety as I watched them all in the last twelve month s

The Rathbone & Bruce Sherlock Holmes films are on TCM quite a lot

The Scarlet Claw is one of their best even though it's another take on The Hound of the Baskervilles

ET re rathbone and Bruce think it is s copyright issue 2 of the films can be shown free ( one one on the train and one other one) and they were on recently as I recoded them but all the others are available on you tube in their entirety as I watched them all in the last twelve month s

Way ahead of ye Newryrep, picked up the boxset cheap in HMV last year. :)

In spite of the gaping plot holes some of them have they are still great entertainment seventy years on.

Was watching two of James Cagney's great films about the Irish-American mob, The Public Enemy and Angels With Dirty Faces, the other day. Absolutely phenomenal acting and storylines in both. Compare that to the rubbish we have on TV these days, it's enough to make one weep !

The 1932 Boris Karloff version is much, much better.

Introduce the kids to the "Universal Monsters" films from the 1930s. Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Freaks, The Invisible Man, The Black Cat, The Raven, Murders In The Rue Morgue, The Old Dark House.

All really creepy and atmospheric with proper acting from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

A lot of them are on Youtube or on other film sites if you know where to look. Can order them online quite cheaply on DVD too.

Bbc 2 late night sat used to do a horror double bill one old RKO/Universal and one modern one years ago circa early 80s used to be great

Keep hoping that would revive it