Ben Nevis - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm meant to be making my way to the top of Ben Nevis on Saturday but never really done anything like it before.

Has anyone that done it got any tips? or can I just rock up on Saturday morning in my new walking boots and go for it?

There are 20 odd of us doing it and hoping to raise a bit of money for VHL (von Hippel-Lindau Syndrome) UK/Ireland.

If you fancy sponsoring my bro's burd, who is organising the walk/climb, you can do here - http://www.everyclick.com/clairesnevisclimbvhl. She's had brain surgery 3 times in the last few years, has another 2 tumors in her head (which probably explains why she's with my bro) & lost her mum to the condition and she wants to give something back to the charity that supports her.

Any tips are welcomed, especially tips on where to eat drink the night before and after.

:ok:

The Ben Nevis inn, right at the bottom is a v good stop off point on way down, right beside start of path. good food and good beer.

Dont drink loads night before... food in Ft Bill aint that great .. they have a Witherspoons now, so you can fill your boots there...

Enjoy, 4-5 hours up.. 3 hours down... prob be snow at summit ..

new boots usually means sair feet..

Guid luck

Mick,

If you're just going up the path, then weather permitting yes you can just rock up as long as you've got the essential gear. Warm clothing, waterproofs, water and food. In extreme fog/mist, navigation on the summit could be a wee bit tricky.

Best ways up the Ben are on the North side. Carn Mor Dearg ArĂȘte, or Ledge Route are both excellent. The former is just an airy ridge walk and the latter an easy scramble. Wouldn't attempt those tho without a walk report and some level of route finding skills.

All other north Face route are either very difficult scrambles or graded rock climbs and shouldn't be attempted.

Edited by Marky

If im worried about blisters I put a double layer of masking tape on the affected area *before* going for a walk. You have gone for a walk in the new boots so you know where the blisters will form??

Only round the house. I didn't want to get them dirty before the big walk.

Wear 2 pairs of socks. Great help in cutting down on the blisters.

Take a stick ;)

These.

Try to wear your boots as much has possible before you go up.

Take spare socks to change into at the top.

when you are going up and are tiring try to focus on a piece of hill some way ahead, conquer it, then do another.

Be careful on the way down, i used to think it more dangerous than going up.

Edited by scoobydoo

Mick, I did it last August, pretty unfit & never done anything like it before.

I got boots a few weeks before & wore them a few times before hand, & also got a pair of walking socks & managed to avoid blisters.

We did it in 7 hours (4 up & 3 down).

Out of our group of 8 only 2 never made it, but that is probably because one of them is quite short so struggled with the big steps at bits.

It's not as easy a walk as it's made out to be, from the websites it sounds like a tarmacked path, it's not :lol:

The weather was changeable, but nothing too bad except rain/hail/sleet/snow & wind at the summit for about 10 minutes.

Here's some pictures of our climb

Start

10534515_10204656575642792_3222619581751

10359220_10204656577122829_2751883334579

10583933_10204656577962850_2112022691730

10590531_10204656579762895_8734738455561

10563087_10204656581522939_8028599994659

Finish

10557193_10204656583722994_2631077174320

I climbed Ben Nevis in mid-May about 10 years ago and got caught in a blizzard at the top. Had to rest in the emergency shelter for a bit before trying to find the path down. Don't under-estimate the weather at this time of year!

I climbed Ben Nevis in mid-May about 10 years ago and got caught in a blizzard at the top. Had to rest in the emergency shelter for a bit before trying to find the path down. Don't under-estimate the weather at this time of year!

same happened to me and my brother on Schiehallion in early June - couldnt believe it. didnt have to do the emergency shelter bit but we just sat behind a rock until the shower passed so not so bad.

I'm one of these lucky people that doesn't ever really get blisters. But yea you should try and wear your boots in a bit.

Goingff downhill is the wort for sure, if you have a bad knee it a killer

There's still a fair bit of snow at the top so make sure you've plenty of waterproofs etc etc. Also, as someone else said I think, the first part of the path is basically a large pile of organised rocks and large steps (I've only done to the half-way Lochan so can't comment on the top half) so watch your feet esp on the way down.

Otherwise good luck and I hope the weather isn't as bad as it has been!

Did it in 2006 as a farewell lads weekend before immigrating- of course was much drinking night before ; so we didn't set off until about 11am

Walked from ft William for full effect ; cut thru railway behind distillery and ascent of Cmd arete

: glad we went that way ; as main pony path was packed on return ; even in evening

As mentioned ; boozer at base is a godsend

Walked past Claggan park on way back to hotel

Mare drink & v average Indian food

Pack loads of extra grub & water

Vaseline on inside of boots / heels

I presume you tried your boots on when you bought them? Boots don`t need broken in so much nowadays, so if they`re a decent fit then blisters should`t be too bad a problem. Wear proper walking socks. Not 2 pairs.

Do not walk up the north face or CMD route if you`ve never done any hillwalking before. Stick to the tourist route. Still snow on the top but the path should be clear.

Give your legs a good stretch before you set off.

Good forecast for tomorrow so should be a cracking day. :ok: