Farage Back As Ukip Leader Already - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Farage Back As Ukip Leader Already

Was always going to happen. He had already said that, after resigning, he would take a few months off over the summer to do nothing, then look at his options after that which he admitted would include standing for the leadership again. This just takes out the charade of a leadership contest.

In his autobiography, The Purple Revolution, he wrote: "It is frankly just not credible for me to continue to lead the party without a Westminster seat.

He added: "Was I supposed to brief Ukip policy from the Westminster Arms? No - if I fail to win South Thanet, it is curtains for me. I will have to step down."

For once I agree with Nigel.

One man party.
Whilst I hate his politics you do have to have a little respect for him ?

More so that he gathered 4 million votes.

Arguably the fact that UK is now having a EU referendum means his work is done.

He was seen as enough of a threat to alter Tory policy.
No doubt he will be back in 2017 to argue the case for leaving....

One man party.

Whilst I hate his politics you do have to have a little respect for him ?

More so that he gathered 4 million votes.

Arguably the fact that UK is now having a EU referendum means his work is done.

He was seen as enough of a threat to alter Tory policy.

No doubt he will be back in 2017 to argue the case for leaving....

Undoubtedly, he is a good politician (even though I have disagreed with virtually every utterance I have ever heard him make).

After the Tories won a majority, meaning Cameron was obliged to plough on with the EU referendum, he was always going to be involved in some capacity, although I did think he might have played a little cooler than this.

If there is one thing he should expect it is this: as the most prominent Euro-sceptic politician out there he will be the anti-secessionist's prime candidate for role of bogeyman.

It's like something out of Spitting Images ....

[shot 1} - Closed door with "UKIP National Executive - Meeting In Progress"

[shot 2} - Close up of NF holding a letter

[Dialogue] NF - Today I will be tendering my resignation, as I have used the "All the others are lying to you and I'm the only one telling the truth" line so many times during the election and then rather stupidly backed myself into a corner by saying "I will resign if I don't win the Thanet South seat" then I have no option but to give you this [places letter on the table in front of him]

[shot 3] - Pan out to show NF in left hand seat - table with letter - empty seat on right hand side

[NF scurries to opposite side of the table]

[shot 4] - Close up shot of NF

[Dialogue] NF - Nigel unfortunately we the National Executive cannot accept your resignation, you are the voice and face of our great party and you need to carry on your great work [tears letter into shreds]

[shot 5] - Pan out as NF scurries back into the original seat

[shot 6] - Close up of NF

[Dialogue] NF - If that is the wish of the National Executive then who am I to argue with that ....

One man party my ar$e

It's like something out of Spitting Images ....

[shot 1} - Closed door with "UKIP National Executive - Meeting In Progress"

[shot 2} - Close up of NF holding a letter

[Dialogue] NF - Today I will be tendering my resignation, as I have used the "All the others are lying to you and I'm the only one telling the truth" line so many times during the election and then rather stupidly backed myself into a corner by saying "I will resign if I don't win the Thanet South seat" then I have no option but to give you this [places letter on the table in front of him]

[shot 3] - Pan out to show NF in left hand seat - table with letter - empty seat on right hand side

[NF scurries to opposite side of the table]

[shot 4] - Close up shot of NF

[Dialogue] NF - Nigel unfortunately we the National Executive cannot accept your resignation, you are the voice and face of our great party and you need to carry on your great work [tears letter into shreds]

[shot 5] - Pan out as NF scurries back into the original seat

[shot 6] - Close up of NF

[Dialogue] NF - If that is the wish of the National Executive then who am I to argue with that ....

One man party my ar$e

???

That really could have been on Spitting Image.

Loving your work, sir!

Undoubtedly, he is a good politician (even though I have disagreed with virtually every utterance I have ever heard him make).

Farage? A good politician? How come he didn't win his seat then? How come despite all that media exposure over the last 4 years his party only got one seat on Thursday?

What Farage is good at is getting his face on the BBC. That doesn't make him a good politician.

Farage? A good politician? How come he didn't win his seat then? How come despite all that media exposure over the last 4 years his party only got one seat on Thursday?

What Farage is good at is getting his face on the BBC. That doesn't make him a good politician.

I can't belive I'm about to stick up for Nigel Farage but here goes.

He is a good politician in the sense that he is able to put his points across well and with a certain aplomb. You may not like him or what he says - and I don't - but he does his job well.

The self-promotion, the contrived 'hail fellow well met' image, the getting his face on TV - it is all part of being a politician. It is the tackier side of being a politician, yes, and it is not something that impresses me particularly but for a smaller party like Ukip it is necessary to raise their profile. Consequently, he was able raise his party's profile from one which was registering three figure returns in some constituencies during the last GE to one which secured the votes of over 4 million people last Thursday.

Then there was their success in last year's European elections and - perhaps his biggest triumph to date - he was able to twist David Cameron's arm into tacking an in-out EU referendum onto the Tories election manifesto. Ironically - and this is possible the main reason he failed to win Thanet South - the Tories were able to steal his party's USP and consequently neutralise them (for the time being at least).

Right, I'm away for a bath in caustic soda now.

Like it or not : Farage is a good politician.
If it wasn't for UKIP the Tories wouldn't have been scared into promising an EU referendum.
Even though David Cameron actually wants to stay in the EU....

His little party with 1 MP, and 1 policy, dictated to the government what they had to do.

Arguably his work is done now ?

It's like something out of Spitting Images ....[shot 1} - Closed door with "UKIP National Executive - Meeting In Progress"[shot 2} - Close up of NF holding a letter[Dialogue] NF - Today I will be tendering my resignation, as I have used the "All the others are lying to you and I'm the only one telling the truth" line so many times during the election and then rather stupidly backed myself into a corner by saying "I will resign if I don't win the Thanet South seat" then I have no option but to give you this [places letter on the table in front of him][shot 3] - Pan out to show NF in left hand seat - table with letter - empty seat on right hand side[NF scurries to opposite side of the table][shot 4] - Close up shot of NF[Dialogue] NF - Nigel unfortunately we the National Executive cannot accept your resignation, you are the voice and face of our great party and you need to carry on your great work [tears letter into shreds][shot 5] - Pan out as NF scurries back into the original seat[shot 6] - Close up of NF[Dialogue] NF - If that is the wish of the National Executive then who am I to argue with that ....One man party my ar$e

That reminds me of the Lee evens scetck about how a company boss asked for a pay rise lol

Don't want to but I have to agree with Scotland about farage. If it wasnt for him ukip would be nowhere near the votes they have now. He at least has more charisma than the likes of milliband, Cameron etc.

UKIP came second in loads of seats across England. I saw one map showing it had the biggest swing in constituencies over the great majority of England. If only they made themselves a bit less toxic, and tacked to the left, they could 'do an SNP' hoovering up votes in the English Labour heartlands outside London - especially if Labour went Blairite again. But that opportunity has been lost, by Farage staying. Oh well.

I can't belive I'm about to stick up for Nigel Farage but here goes.

He is a good politician in the sense that he is able to put his points across well and with a certain aplomb. You may not like him or what he says - and I don't - but he does his job well.

The self-promotion, the contrived 'hail fellow well met' image, the getting his face on TV - it is all part of being a politician. It is the tackier side of being a politician, yes, and it is not something that impresses me particularly but for a smaller party like Ukip it is necessary to raise their profile. Consequently, he was able raise his party's profile from one which was registering three figure returns in some constituencies during the last GE to one which secured the votes of over 4 million people last Thursday.

Then there was their success in last year's European elections and - perhaps his biggest triumph to date - he was able to twist David Cameron's arm into tacking an in-out EU referendum onto the Tories election manifesto. Ironically - and this is possible the main reason he failed to win Thanet South - the Tories were able to steal his party's USP and consequently neutralise them (for the time being at least).

Right, I'm away for a bath in caustic soda now.

If he was a good politician all of that would of resonated with the voters of Thanet South and he'd be their MP by now.

Like it or not : Farage is a good politician.

If it wasn't for UKIP the Tories wouldn't have been scared into promising an EU referendum.

Even though David Cameron actually wants to stay in the EU....

His little party with 1 MP, and 1 policy, dictated to the government what they had to do.

Arguably his work is done now ?

Disagree. The right wingers in the Tory party and the parliamentary party in particular, supported by The Daily Mail, would put enough pressure on Cameron without UKIP.

UKIP came second in loads of seats across England. I saw one map showing it had the biggest swing in constituencies over the great majority of England. If only they made themselves a bit less toxic, and tacked to the left, they could 'do an SNP' hoovering up votes in the English Labour heartlands outside London - especially if Labour went Blairite again. But that opportunity has been lost, by Farage staying. Oh well.

Agree with this. If Farage was a good politician he'd know you get nothing for second places in First Past The Post and affect a strategy for UKIP.

Farage isn't a good politician, he's a good publicist.