Paying At The Dentist - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Paying At The Dentist

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Five crowns and 3 fillings on NHS- maximum NHS charge £386.

Was told would cost over 2500 euros in Spain according to Spanish dentist.

Great health service here.

You're better going private for dental work - you get what you pay for - my dentist is NHS but I've always upgraded for bridgework and the like. Edited by Charlie Endell

The amount you're paying they should be available 24/7 and do home visits. Private dentistry is just a scam. I would love to see enough migrant dentists come into the NHS and help put these fukkers out of business.

As a dentist, attitudes like this annoy me. Yes, like just about every profession, there are many dentists with questionable ethics and who put money before the care they provide but the majority of dentists are decent folk.

I remember going through a lawyer to get more custody of my daughter a few years ago and after 5 meetings and a court visit and some letters I was billed £5500!. I remember thinking that lawyers get an easy ride in comparison when it comes to costs. That really is printing money.

As a dentist, attitudes like this annoy me. Yes, like just about every profession, there are many dentists with questionable ethics and who put money before the care they provide but the majority of dentists are decent folk.

I remember going through a lawyer to get more custody of my daughter a few years ago and after 5 meetings and a court visit and some letters I was billed £5500!. I remember thinking that lawyers get an easy ride in comparison when it comes to costs. That really is printing money.

If we are talking league tables here then solicitors are far worse than private dentists. I am not having a go at all dentists here. Most of them are worth every penny they get. It's just the private ones, especially the ones who know they are in an area which is short of NHS dentists and milk the situation for all it's worth. Fortunately, in Scotland anyway, the situation is better than it was about 10 years ago. Most folk now can have access to an NHS dentist if they put in a wee bit of effort. In the last 10-15 years a lot of folk have been persuaded to do dental insurance schemes with private dentists, not knowing there is an alternative. This could be the next big ppi type mis-selling scandal.

I have a great dentist. He does a mixture of NHS and private and has never tried to persuade me to go private.

If we are talking league tables here then solicitors are far worse than private dentists. I am not having a go at all dentists here. Most of them are worth every penny they get. It's just the private ones, especially the ones who know they are in an area which is short of NHS dentists and milk the situation for all it's worth. Fortunately, in Scotland anyway, the situation is better than it was about 10 years ago. Most folk now can have access to an NHS dentist if they put in a wee bit of effort. In the last 10-15 years a lot of folk have been persuaded to do dental insurance schemes with private dentists, not knowing there is an alternative. This could be the next big ppi type mis-selling scandal.

I have a great dentist. He does a mixture of NHS and private and has never tried to persuade me to go private.

Fair play. I would say that's a fair assessment. As an NHS dentist I regularly see new patients who have had private work that isn't the greatest. From experience I would say there is an equal distribution of good dentists between NHS and private.

I have private dental healthcare through work but in general don't bother with it, always found NHS service to be excellent. Had a filling yesterday as it happens, I just paid the £25 or so that it cost, worth every penny. In general those knocking the NHS service have limited experience of healthcare provision (and cost) elsewhere in the world, which is not to say that the NHS is perfect, far from it.

Fair play. I would say that's a fair assessment. As an NHS dentist I regularly see new patients who have had private work that isn't the greatest. From experience I would say there is an equal distribution of good dentists between NHS and private.

Sounds like you are one of the good guys. :ok:

I suppose I shouldn't really be slagging the dentists, it's more the system which allows them to get away with it. The whole of the NHS will probably go the same way if The Tories and Labour have their way.

Five crowns and 3 fillings on NHS- maximum NHS charge £386.

Was told would cost over 2500 euros in Spain according to Spanish dentist.

Great health service here.

Don`t think it would be available on Spanish NHS (only extractions I think) but private Spanish dentists would charge about half or less what private Scottish dentists would charge. Maybe same for opticians? And in Hungary or Poland less than half.