Scotland Squad - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

Did you go to England match? There is no denying when he and Russell came on they injected life into our attack which had been lifeless up until then. He certainly never let us down that night so to axe him from the squad would have been very harsh especially considering the options we have at the moment up front.

Yes i was there, point above i make he isnt first team regular, always on bench, players need be playing first team football and doing well to get an international call up, other guys playing better than him and starting not in squad

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is but I strongly believe their time will come. Remember a number of our squad right now (especially in midfield) are into their 30s.

I don't know who you're thinking of, because most of our outfield players are between 25 and 29.

Point making is he hasnt been starting and isnt a first team regular, i would rather play folk who are on form and playing week in and week out. Rhodes, Naismith, S.Fletcher and McCormack are all starting nearly every week apart from S.Fletcher. May has to be playing every week and on form for me to be in squad

Eh they are all in the squad anyway.

Problem we defo have is lack of centre halfs, its alarming the number of good scottish centre halfs coming throuhg. It use to be out srtongest position.

Mark Reynolds should be near the squad, being a well fan saw him alot and even know see he isnt got any better than when he left us, only there due to lack of good young scottish centre halfs

Scored two goals since 29/11 and that came against Millwall second bottom of league and Fulham who are 5th bottom i am sure, he went 12 games without scoring in that time and was dropped to bench

To be fair, he's only started 9 games since then.. Wednesday are probably in the bottom 3 in terms of goals scored this season, it's not just a problem that's isolated to May. They've had 18 clean sheets tho which is why they are doing ok in the league. For May's more recent form, he's come off the bench in their last 4 games and found the net in two of them. He's had this season to adjust to life in a new league and it'll be interesting to see what he'll do next season, given that Wednesday have recently had a take over and will likely spend money on players who can actually cross in the summer. Stevie May will come good, I'm pretty sure of that.

You can argue whether he should be in this squad, but if Strachan's going for continuity and players he judges to be big future players for us then I'd happy for him to call up May as his 5th choice striker. It could be the little confidence boost that May needs to start slotting in a few more chances.

Eh they are all in the squad anyway.

I am saying those 4 deserve there call ups, but May rather saw maybe another winger get his chance like Armstrong who has pace and been on form. Dont need 5 strikers against northen ireland and gibraltar

I am saying those 4 deserve there call ups, but May rather saw maybe another winger get his chance like Armstrong who has pace and been on form. Dont need 5 strikers against northen ireland and gibraltar

Well that is open for debate. If we had opted for just four strikers for a match against Gibraltar it would have earned criticism of that I am sure. Besides there are far more dubious inclusions in midfield (Forrest) that could have made way for Armstrong. Like I said May (I thought) did well when he came on against a rampant England and breathed life into our attack so that alone surely earns him the call-up.

Just looking at a few that aren't in there and you have to agree we have an incredible array of talent to choose from:

Snodgrass, Mulgrew, GMS, Armstrong, Griffiths, Watt, Philips, Boyd, Arfield, Bardsley, Adam, Martin, Jack etc etc

All of those guys would be guaranteed picks only a few years ago. Now we hardly miss them. Granted Snodgrass and Mulgrew would be in if they weren't injured.

The only member of this squad that you could really argue against is Forrest. The rest are justified

Just looking at a few that aren't in there and you have to agree we have an incredible array of talent to choose from:

Snodgrass, Mulgrew, GMS, Armstrong, Griffiths, Watt, Philips, Boyd, Arfield, Bardsley, Adam, Martin, Jack etc etc

All of those guys would be guaranteed picks only a few years ago. Now we hardly miss them. Granted Snodgrass and Mulgrew would be in if they weren't injured.

The only member of this squad that you could really argue against is Forrest. The rest are justified

I agree to a point but the only players you have listed I'd want in the squad are Mulgrew, Snodgrass, GMS, Armstrong and Bardsley. The rest are totally unproven (Watt, Arfield and Jack) or have had a chance and failed to impress (Griffiths, Phillips, Boyd, Adam and Martin).

I agree to a point but the only players you have listed I'd want in the squad are Mulgrew, Snodgrass, GMS, Armstrong and Bardsley. The rest are totally unproven (Watt, Arfield and Jack) or have had a chance and failed to impress (Griffiths, Phillips, Boyd, Adam and Martin).

Fair enough, but that is sort of my point. You are saying there is 5 guys you'd want in the team (which is a lot). 3 years ago almost all of them would have been included whether we liked it or not.

Fair enough, but that is sort of my point. You are saying there is 5 guys you'd want in the team (which is a lot). 3 years ago almost all of them would have been included whether we liked it or not.

Yes I'd agree there. I suppose you could extend the list of names I'd have liked to have seen in the squad adding Ryan Gauld and Grant Hanley (injured).

Yes I'd agree there. I suppose you could extend the list of names I'd have liked to have seen in the squad adding Ryan Gauld and Grant Hanley (injured).

Can't believe I forgot Hanley!

I'd have liked to see Gauld and Watt. Then add in Harper, Henderson and R.Fraser who will probably be in squads in a couple of years. But I totally understand why none of them are in there. Their time will come.

Can't believe I forgot Hanley!

I'd have liked to see Gauld and Watt. Then add in Harper, Henderson and R.Fraser who will probably be in squads in a couple of years. But I totally understand why none of them are in there. Their time will come.

Definitely, their time will come like I said earlier. For some of those (Gauld, Harper, Henderson and Fraser) it is a campaign too early and as for Armstrong and McKay-Stevens they will get their chance although cannot see how they miss out yet Forrest gets in (can only think it is a pace thing).

As for cv whore, totally out of order; he's not a "grandparent rule" player, and he's never played for England.

He's a guy who, on the day he first gets called up for Scotland, has chosen to say "I see myself as English..."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31909618

I'll reiterate, he's a cv whore and can GTF, as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps for whatever reason he sees no contradiction in being and seeing themselves as one nationality then representing another differing nationality, in a sporting context where the teams are delineated by nationality.

If nationality doesn't matter then that sort of undermines the whole purpose of international football, considering how the actual teams are decided.

Perhaps for whatever reason he sees no contradiction in being and seeing themselves as one nationality then representing another differing nationality, in a sporting context where the teams are delineated by nationality.

If nationality doesn't matter then that sort of undermines the whole purpose of international football, considering how the actual teams are decided.

If you consider rugby or cricket nationality as a selection criteria became redundant years ago and football will end up going the same way.

Definitely, their time will come like I said earlier. For some of those (Gauld, Harper, Henderson and Fraser) it is a campaign too early and as for Armstrong and McKay-Stevens they will get their chance although cannot see how they miss out yet Forrest gets in (can only think it is a pace thing).

Mackay-Steven is pretty quick. As is Armstrong. Forrest actually looks like he's lost a bit of his pace since his injuries as well.

It's either because he doesn't want to appear to show favouritism to Celtic players, or that he just wants to see Forrest in training a bit more and has no intention of playing him. I can live with either of those explanations.

I can't, however, live with knowing Strachan thinks he is (currently) a better player than GMS or Armstrong.

I still have high hopes for Forrest. But no way did he deserve to be in this squad ahead of the aforementioned.

I'd like to see something like this v NI:

Gordon

Forsyth, Martin, Greer, Anya

Fletcher, Bannan, Russell

Naismith, Rhodes, Fletcher

Any team which is hoping to score half a dozen or more v Gibraltar needs a potential hat-trick man - for that I can only really see JR of Fletch. Why not play them both v NI?