Scotland Players In Action - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big difference playing against posties, plumbers and joiners than top level pros. I'll wait until he proves he can cut it against the big boys although I accept he's young.

That's a bit disrespectful to the Scottish Championship to be fair. There are only 3 part time teams in the league, and The Rangers have the 2nd largest budget in the land! (Granted they have not spent wisely).

where did u find this out ?

Portugese news article on Twitter doing the rounds that says Sporting will use a number of their B team players for cup game and mention Gauld.

Also a few mentions that he was sent off in his last game for Sporting B.

Good. Young centre half playing at a good level

Aye, Cooper should be given the opportunity to show what he can do. English born but has played for Scotland Under 19s so he nailed his colours to the mast a while ago.

Got to be better than Gordon Greer (who is 34 now) anyway.

Time to drop Chris Burke as well. Don't believe in this whole giving fringe players a friendly game run out just because they turn up all the time for squads, be ruthless. If someone better is available then pick them instead.

Got to be better than Gordon Greer (who is 34 now) anyway.

Why when you bring up Greer in the squad it's always down to his age?

Guy has been ok when called upon and Strachan is not building his defence around it, just knows that he can rely on him if needed.

Why when you bring up Greer in the squad it's always down to his age?

Guy has been ok when called upon and Strachan is not building his defence around it, just knows that he can rely on him if needed.

He's getting in the way of younger players like Reynolds and possibly now Cooper who deserve a look in. He offers nothing for the future and he's been all over the place in the games he's played for us. We had Marshall to thank for not getting beat by two or three versus Norway, Greer was hopeless that night.

Greer (and Chris Burke for that matter) are in the way of other players. Burke's been poor for Forest and Greer's been injured most of the time, his team may also be in the third tier next season. The only exception to this line of thought is Shaun Maloney who whilst being 31 and playing for a poor team at least brings something to the team. Greer and Burke offer nothing and proved it in the games they've played under Strachan. Ditch them.

Just because some journeyman turns up for every squad for over a year or more doesn't give them any right to a run out in a friendly. Tough, that's life.

He's getting in the way of younger players like Reynolds and possibly now Cooper who deserve a look in. He offers nothing for the future and he's been all over the place in the games he's played for us. We had Marshall to thank for not getting beat by two or three versus Norway, Greer was hopeless that night.

Greer has excelled at championship level in England. Reynolds spectacularly flopped at league one level in England. Greer is not holding Reynolds back, he is simply a far better centre half.

Greer's or anyone's age is completely irrespective if he is our best option. He has done well when asked to fill in.

Greer has excelled at championship level in England. Reynolds spectacularly flopped at league one level in England. Greer is not holding Reynolds back, he is simply a far better centre half.

Greer's or anyone's age is completely irrespective if he is our best option. He has done well when asked to fill in.

"Excelled at championship level"? :rollsmile: Aye right.

Watch footage of our games against the USA, Norway etc. He was terrible. Yes he tried hard and all that, but he clearly isn't up for international football.

Reynolds had a bad spell at Wednesday but that was a few years ago now. He's improved since then. I'd have him ahead of Greer any day. That and Mark McGhee confirmed today that Liam Cooper is being considered. Still want Greer in the team if he's playing in League One next year ? We should just call up Webster, Miller and Boyd again whilst we're getting all sentimental about these aging journeymen. :rolleyes:

Always look to the future not the past.

I think Greer's done OK so far for Scotland, but when I was watching him regularly for Swindon a few years ago in the 3rd and 4th tiers of English football, I never suspected for a minute he'd get a call-up. I'd take Reynolds over Greer, but Martin and Hanley has to be the 1st choice pairing.

As I see it we have Hanley and Martin - our two best Centre backs

We then have Mulgrew who isn't too bad there, Berra who is around the same level as the other 3 and those 4 are by far our best (not great but our best)

Hanley especially has potential to improve as he is only 22/23 and already has a lot of caps

Under those 4 we have Danny Wilson who I still believe will get back in the squad and has a lot to offer, Liam Cooper is a similar age and level and I would put him with Wilson as the next two

Gordon Greer I would have below all 6 of those players - because of the fact he is 34 and will be 36 by the time the next comp comes around and may even be retired by that point - whereas Wilson and Cooper will be just 25

John Souttar has a lot of potential and for me would be next, ahead of some players with more experience from the SPL, purely down to age and potential.

For me that would be the top 7 centre halves - some potential there and please don't be offended Aberdeen and Greer fans for Reynolds and GG being written off...

Reynolds is better than Greer. Neither is good enough for international level.

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Greer is far better than Reynolds.

As for good enough for international level...if you are one of the strongest players in your position for your country, you are good enough for international football. Greer is one of our best centre-backs, Reynolds isn't.