The I Like Shay Logan Thread - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The I Like Shay Logan Thread

You sure you're a Christian? You seem to know a lot about the Dark Side of the Force. ?

Know Your Enemy!

Nah. Hex came into American English (meaning 'witch') from Pennsylvanian German. It's a Germanic word related to English Hag. Old High German: Hagzus; Middle High German: Hecse; Modern German: Hexe.

According to the OED anyroad, and they know their onions.

The enemy have been practicing this nonsense a few thousand years before the Pennsylvania Dutch arrived on the scene.

Instead of saying 'Nah' and then proceeding to talk about witches and hags, why don't you just say "yeah, that makes sense"?

'Hexa' means 'six' in the relevant 'New Testament' language of Greek btw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like, and appreciate Shay Logan.

The enemy have been practicing this nonsense a few thousand years before the Pennsylvania Dutch arrived on the scene.

Instead of saying 'Nah' and then proceeding to talk about witches and hags, why don't you just say "yeah, that makes sense"?

'Hexa' means 'six' in the relevant 'New Testament' language of Greek btw.

'Hexa' being the Greek word for 'six' has nothing to do with the word 'hex' being used to mean 'spell' but you seemed to be suggesting otherwise.

Oddly, it was only after the Pennsylvania Dutch came on the scene that 'hex' began to be used to mean 'spell' and/or 'witch'. Hex to mean 'cast a spell' first appears in print in the Annals of Pennsylvania in 1830. It had never been used in English before in this way. The reason is the influence of German Hexe in that part of the world as I explained above.

Yeah, that makes sense.

(How would you even find me here, my gatekeeping friend?)

I haven't posted anything that isn't true.

Can you connect satan to witches?

Can you connect witches to hexagrams?

Can you connect hexagrams to spells?

Can you connect spell to hex?

Can you connect hex to six?

mqdefault.jpg

Um, let's see. Three Shay Logan threads, all good value, I've posted in two of them. It's not all about you ...

Can you show me a use in English of 'hex' to mean 'spell' prior to 1830 despite Biblical Greek having been around for centuries prior? If I've time later, I'll post screenshots of the OED entries on the term. It's clear cut, Scotty and there is no etymological connection with the Greek for 'six'.

Um, let's see. Three Shay Logan threads, all good value, I've posted in two of them.

I'm the Dons fan.

It makes sense that I'd open the threads.

You? You're here because of me.

It's not all about you ...

Said the man in the trench coat following me trying to hide behind the newspaper.

You pop up where and when I do.

Your job is to water down, deflect, and detract truth.

I'm fine with it as long as your real victims know (but I fear this is being played out above their heads).

Can you show me a use in English of 'hex' to mean 'spell' prior to 1830 despite Biblical Greek having been around for centuries prior?

See... this is how you work.

'Hex' means 'spell' today.

By trying to show that it wasn't a common term 200 years ago you are trying to imply that the content of my post is incorrect, when it's not.

...and there is no etymological connection with the Greek for 'six'.

Etymology

Representing Ancient Greek ἕξ (héks, six). http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hexa-

Is that your beef? 'heks' and not 'hex'? :lol:

(Thanks for your contribution.)

I'm the Dons fan.

Said the man in the trench coat following me trying to hide behind the newspaper.

I'm fine with it as long as your real victims know (but I fear this is being played out above their heads).

See... this is how you work.

By trying to show that it wasn't a common term 200 years ago you are trying to imply that the content of my post is incorrect, when it's not.

Etymology

Your paranoia knows no bounds.

I'm the Dons fan.

:blink: Why do you post in, for example, Rangers' threads? It's a message board. Members read whatever thread they wish. 'Football related' has been a right laugh the past few days so I've been spending more time in here than usual. Get a grip....

:blink: :blink: My "real victims"?

Just for a laugh I've checked when I last commented on one of your posts in a thread. It was 82 posts ago; sometime in November 2014. I would guess you have made rather more posts than that since then. That doesn't look like 'popping up where and when you do' - it does however look a little paranoid.

As I said, I often comment on examples of false etymology whoever makes them, cos the English language is an interest of mine (and I have access to the online OED, which helps). It's nowt personal ...

What you posted was this: "Why is a 'spell' sometimes referred to as a 'hex'? Because when casting a (big important) spell it takes 6 witches to sit naked and cross-legged on the points of a HEXagram that has been marked on the floor." You are positing a causal relationship between 'hexa' being the Greek word for 'six' and 'hex' being another word for 'spell' (it's the use of 'because' that gives it away). There is no such causal relationship. Your post was incorrect.

Etymology

No, that's not "my beef" - you appear to have completely misunderstood the point I have been trying to make.

I'll give it one more go. A spell isn't sometimes called a hex because of hex being Ancient Greek for six. A spell is sometimes called a hex because the German word for witch is hexe, a word which is comes from the same root as English hag. It entered the English language in the mid-1800s via the German-speaking community in Pennsylvania.

On the off-chance that anyone's actually interested, here's the arithmetic:

hrwvpe.png

2nip4yb.jpg

One more...

Why is a 'spell' sometimes referred to as a 'hex'?

Because when casting a (big important) spell it takes 6 witches to sit naked and cross-legged on the points of a HEXagram that has been marked on the floor.

This seems a remarkably labour-intensive (and chilly) way of magicking stuff. Does it always take six witches to perform a biggie? Where in the Bible does it mention this? The witch of Endor seemed able to summon the spirit of Samuel all on her tod (and fully clothed, as far as I'm aware).

Interesting. On what are you basing this claim. Generally your truth-claims are based upon interpretations of Biblical scripture, and your belief is that this scripture is the Word of God. Since God is infallible, his Word must therefore be true. OK. I don’t agree with the basic premise, but if we accept the Word-of-God premise then that’s consistent.

However, nowhere in the Bible as far as I know is ‘hex’ used in connection with 'spell'. Therefore you must be basing your contention that ‘hex’ means ‘spell’ because of its Greek meaning of 'six' on another text, but no other text has the infallible authority that you ascribe to the Bible. Therefore I don’t see the basis for your claim that this etymological connection is true.

Oh, and you're wrong about the 'gatekeeper' thing too - but I've already told you that.

Edited by DonnyTJS

I'm going to do something weird and right out of the box here, and move this thread back on track (sorry).

I like Logan, I think he's improved out of sight in 12 months and puts in a great shift week in, week out......but.....the fact that he's there I think is a sign of the major weakness that Aberdeen have, in that our defence on Sunday consisted of a guy who took on loan from Brentford, a youngster on loan from West Brom, a journeyman playing out of position, and Mark Reynolds.

Throw in an utterly piss-poor keeper and it's no surprise that we concede goals against bigger teams.

Having Shinnie will improve things next season, but we desperately need a better keeper, and possibly at least one more experienced central defender.

I'm going to do something weird and right out of the box here, and move this thread back on track (sorry).

I like Logan, I think he's improved out of sight in 12 months and puts in a great shift week in, week out......but.....the fact that he's there I think is a sign of the major weakness that Aberdeen have, in that our defence on Sunday consisted of a guy who took on loan from Brentford, a youngster on loan from West Brom, a journeyman playing out of position, and Mark Reynolds.

Throw in an utterly piss-poor keeper and it's no surprise that we concede goals against bigger teams.

Having Shinnie will improve things next season, but we desperately need a better keeper, and possibly at least one more experienced central defender.

Agree regarding Brown but I doubt that he'll be replaced.

I wouldn't stop with the defence.

McInnes and co failed at Bristol.

McGinn failed at Brentford.

Hayes failed at Reading and ???.

Robson failed at Middlesborough.

Flood did too.

Goodwille failed at Blackpool.

Rooney failed at about 10 English clubs.

It's awesome.

I'd also be amazed if both Langfield and Brown are here next season. And with Langfield entering his testimonial year I can only see I going 1 way.

Been checking out some spells...

http://www.spellsandmagic.com/sex-lust-spells.html

Lust Spell (perform on Tuesday nights only) Materials: picture of person you desire a red or pink candle pen or pencil Cast a Circle... Invoke Venus with this chant: Venus, Mighty one of Lust! I call upon you with your trust To bring this person to me now Your fragile trust is your vow! Light your candle and chant while visiualizing you and your desired person doing what you wish. Chant: (Person's desired name) please come to me Fulfill my desire successfully I beg of you to come to me As I will, so mote it be. Take the picture and write your name and the desired person's name on the back ofi t. Kiss the picture, place it to your heart. Extinguish the candle, and place picture in your pillow case.

I am just pointing out that today is a Tuesday.

Apparently police are investigating a racist tweet made towards Shay Logan.

It's unclear whether it was made by one of the racists/supporters of racists at Parkhead on Sunday or not.