Dashcams - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I just invested in a dashcam. Obviously I'd like to pretend it was part of my commitment to safe driving but really just looks a cool gadget with the potential for a viral YouTube clip along the way.

Anyhow, it comes with something called a Circular Polarising Filter which impressed me no end even though I haven't a clue what it is. Anyone out there able to help? Should I leave it on all the time, put it on under certain road/weather conditions or just leave it in the glove box whilst boasting down the pub that I've got one to sound clever?

Also it reckons that it will automatically start recording if it detects movement in the car when the engine is off, but leaving a diddy little camera in the car when I'm away feels a bit like inviting someone to nick it?? Just wondering if other folk leave them in all the time or hide them when not using them?

Cheers

A circular polarising filter removes glare and reflections, it makes photographs look nice in bright conditions, (nicer cloud definition, less reflection from things like water) Sounds like an expensive gimmick for something to record your other peoples shite driving in dark grey huddersfield :wink2: . Might be useful if you are in russia and see a cloud burst metorite

A polarising filter makes a picture look, at certain angles of the sun, more saturated and colourful. (It also has the ability to filter out reflections in glass and water, so I reckon you should keep it on).

I am intrigued that it is a circular polarising filter, this suggests that the filter rotates to get the best effect depending upon the angle of the sun. Can't imagine fiddling with the filter whilst you are driving would be a good idea.

Talking of dash cams, here's one (that you may have seen on news) that happened near me a few days ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOBFvl8GWYI

The junction has got a bit of a bad reputation, though I think it's mainly (if not always) bad driving.

The driver of the lorry said to STV news that "something has to be done about the junction".

Long before the days of technology I got shafted by my insurance who decided that an accident my wife was in was 90% the other person's fault & 10% hers...no explanation for why but bobs yer aunty & away went the no claims bonus. I was taught when I was learning to drive that you should act as though everyone else on the road is a nutcase, which to this day I firmly believe to be true :ok:

As for the filter It just clicks onto the camera lens. To be honest I assumed it was called that on account of it being circular!! As far as I can tell looking at it, it's a uniform design all the way round so no reason to move it & the camera lens is fixed.

Anyway, I've got the Bermuda shorts on & the roof down as I head out to equally sunny Barnsley to test it out; cheers for the info gents.

and does anyone else have any recommendations for a dash cam. Thinking of getting one.

I was considering getting one of the Mini 080* series due to their popularity and lots of support/advice available on how to install them and set them up.

I think the 0806 is the latest model at about 100 quid.

heres a link to the 0803

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mini-0803.html

Talking of dash cams, here's one (that you may have seen on news) that happened near me a few days ago.

The junction has got a bit of a bad reputation, though I think it's mainly (if not always) bad driving.

The driver of the lorry said to STV news that "something has to be done about the junction".

So okay, he pulls out and perhaps at a push could argue he never saw the car but that would have been through negligence and in any case he would have checked his mirror soon afterwards and saw the guy on the grass verge. His fellow "knight of the road" who saw everything goes flying past without stopping to at least empathise with the guy who has had if not a near death experience, then narrowly avoided a very nasty crash..........

What make did u get and does anyone else have any recommendations for a dash cam. Thinking of getting one.

I got the mini 0806 mentioned above on the back of good reviews. The basic camera is £100, with add-ons for GPS, micro card so I ended up paying about £130. It's small & fairly discrete but needs a bit of faffing around to get the wiring sorted. Also there's no suction pad only adhesive ones so you need to decide where you want it.

I like the look of it though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOBFvl8GWYI

I come out that junction every Friday after playing football. Normally go home the shore road as you can be stuck waiting ages to get out at Tomich.