North British Ukip - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North British Ukip

More comedy gold from Coburn and Co.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-31569804

UKIP has said it hopes to field candidates in every seat in Scotland at the general election as the party formally launched its campaign.

MEP David Coburn said he was confident the party could win seats north of the border in May.

Mr Coburn, who is the party's only elected member in Scotland, will stand in the Falkirk constituency.

He said the party currently had 40 candidates but hoped to find people to stand in the remaining 19 seats.

The Euro-sceptic party launched its campaign at an event in Glasgow's Renfield Centre, which was attended by its candidates from across the country.

They included Aberdeen nurse Emily Santos, who will take on former First Minister Alex Salmond in the Gordon constituency, regional organiser Kevin Newton who will be fighting Scotland's only Tory MP, David Mundell, in Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale, and Scottish chairman Arthur Misty Thackeray who will stand in Glasgow East against Margaret Curran MP.

A planned video link with UK party leader Nigel Farage did not take place due to technical difficulties, the party said.

Mr Coburn said he expected UKIP to win seats in Scotland, and said he would be "disappointed if we don't".

He said he hoped to take the Falkirk seat currently held by independent MP Eric Joyce, who is standing down.

He added: "We intend to get as many seats as we can, it's difficult to say how many.

"This is the most unpredictable election in 100 years. People are fed up, people want change, they're fed up of the same old, same old. So I think they're turning to UKIP in droves.

"They are in the south of England, they are now in the north of England and when you see me getting elected in the European election it looks like Scotland's time to go that way as well."

Mr Coburn also said the party hoped to win "eight seats or something like that" in next year's Scottish Parliament election.

He added: "We intend to take over the Scottish Parliament, we intend to have a UKIP government in Scotland and there's no reason we can't."

The party said it would put re-industrialisation at the heart of its campaign in Scotland, pledging to set up a commission to look at ways to rejuvenate and expand the coal industry, back fracking and do away with subsidies for wind, solar and nuclear power.

Mr Coburn said: "We're sitting on tonnes of coal, we've got the possibility of fracking, we've got petrochemical business in Falkirk and Grangemouth. That's something we should be building on."

Puttin the "Great" back into Britain eh ? :wave:

Surely there isn't a seat in Scotland they will get close to winning - is there?

I would hope to christ they wouldn't. Coburn is an absolute nugget of a man.

They may have a wee toehold in England, but the political landscape is completely different in Scotland so i would hope and expect them to be taught a lesson in May

then i assume you are being pedantic

You've got me all wrong my friend, I wasn't disagreeing, I was merely looking for clarification on Mr Scums interpretation. I've heard a number of people suggest the same, some with valid reasoning and others with nothing short of racial supremacy, I was curious as to where Mr. Scums reasoning stood.

In the way that UKIP's type of politics are, on the whole, totally alien to Scottish voters.

We don't have an overarching Tory outlook for UKIP to piggy back onto as they do in England. IMHO :)

Thank you kindly :ok:

It rips my knitting that this clown represents Scotland in any way.

UKIP are pretty much the opposite to everything I do and believe in.

WWNFD then do the opposite.

The whole PR in European elections means they will pick up votes. Won't happen in FPTP.

J

On a related tangent. UKIP candidate being questioned on renewable energy - [paraphrasing] "the problem with renewables is what to do when they run out".

Getting hardworking families back in to foxhunting in derelict mosques with the pound in their pocket, a smoke and a pint for the old man and fish fingers for the wife and kids is the kind of common sense approach that made Britain the envy of the Irish in the first place.

My best mates aunt is standing for them in North Ayrshire... Lovely woman, utterly bizarre politics. The family are extremely embarrassed and won't be voting for her :lol:

Well considering you vote labour on the basis that the SNP and Labour 'are both wrong on policy and so vote for the best candidate as a human being' then presumably now you will be switching to this "lovely UKIP woman" who happens to be your best mates aunt. Is she more lovely than Katy is lovely? Do we need to switch our vote to UKIP?

Well considering you vote labour on the basis that the SNP and Labour 'are both wrong on policy and so vote for the best candidate as a human being' then presumably now you will be switching to this "lovely UKIP woman" who happens to be your best mates aunt. Is she more lovely than Katy is lovely? Do we need to switch our vote to UKIP?

Perhaps you should put me on ignore squire.