Summer Football - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Summer Football

The holiday one you couldn't get round but you could play golf on another day or earlier on match day . If you like going to the football and playing golf I'm sure you would adapt to what suits your lifestyle best to fit both in. Might mean two days away from the missus :wink2:

Weekly competitions tend to be run on a Saturday.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there not talk a few years back that the Irish League decision to move to Summer football actually saw a decline in attendances and the general feel was the fans were not taking to it and vast majority wanted it returned to winter?

Sure I read the Northern Irish league is switching to summer football from next season.

To be honest, how many bad winters have we had over the last decade that has resulted in a large number of games being called off?

I do not see any real need to change the whole league, and a winter shut down for 2 weeks in early/mid January would be more than enough without having to switch to summer football.

for me the point is that the game should be putting its customers first, and not the clubs / sfa. the fans create the revenue, whether its attending in person, watching the games on subscription tv, buying merchandise etc. there will be little to no interest from outside these shores, so we should be putting the needs and desires of the fans based in scotland first. a healthy and sustainable fan base creates commercial interest from sponsors / tv companies etc.

there is a reason that cinemas don't show blockbuster movies at 9am on tuesdays, becasuse no-one wants to or is able to go then.

I didn't know that

It's a pish excuse though which doesn't stand up. Do folk only play golf when the football season isn't on (i.e. 8 weeks a year)? No, of course they don't.

the whole game needs looked at from a 21st century perspective. the whole matchday experience needs to vastly improved - the world (i think) has moved on from mutton pies and liquid stewed beef.

and for me this starts by having games when the weather conditions will be the most pleasant for the customers.

Edited by Boynze

It's a pish excuse though which doesn't stand up. Do folk only play golf when the football season isn't on (i.e. 8 weeks a year)? No, of course they don't.

Does your myopia know no bounds? Most of football's problems are caused by both macro and microeconomic forces out with football and thus on the whole out with football's control. As alluded to in an earlier post social factors have changed and arguably the biggest one was all day opening when people started to get out of the habit of going to football but other ssuch as the increase in divorce and one parent families has also contributed. In the competitive environment football and some football fans (like yourself) consider football as a standalone industry it isn't it's in the leisure industry and there are hundreds of substitutes for attending a match from cinema to golf to gyms to taking kids to soft play areas to X-Box/playstation to Sky that's where fans have gone and summer football alone won't bring them back.

I play golf, go to the gym and look after my nephews. I do these things every weekend and also go to football.

Saying that summer football won't work because the golf medal is on a Saturday doesn't make sense.

No one said summer football was a fix all either. So don't insinuate that I did.

I play golf, go to the gym and look after my nephews. I do these things every weekend and also go to football.

Saying that summer football won't work because the golf medal is on a Saturday doesn't make sense.

No one said summer football was a fix all either. So don't insinuate that I did.

Oh the irony, where did I insinuate "that summer football won't work because the golf medal is on a Saturday"?

I know it'll be a stretch but try to address the wider point I'm making.

Edited by Larky Masher

Think also a major factor is if moving to summer football what are you going to be competing against?

You will have a World Cup and European Championships every two years (and there will probably be some FIFA rule about club football not being able to go head to head with international games) so you will probably have to have a shut down for that at some point.

Also every year you have the British Open, Wimbledon, F1 etc.... the Olympics every 4 years.

Basically all these things draw big attendances and large tv audiences, so what you will find there will be more "distractions" if moved to a summer schedule, whereas in Winter there is not really anything to go up against.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with the timing of our league (I to also enjoy the games over the Christmas Holidays) its just we need to be better prepared for when the bad weather does strike.

The Olympics and F1 are during the football season anyway, so that's irrelevant. And I doubt many football fans don't go to games because they're going to Wimbledon (or even watching it on TV).

We'd also, obviously have a break when the WC or Euros were on, so again, irrelevant.

To say "there's nothing wrong with the timing of our league", when every year we have multiple games called off, is bizarre.

We should at the very least start a couple of weeks earlier..

1st Saturday in July in non Euro / WC years

Saturday of the final in Euro / WC years.

A couple of Saturday / Wednesday's in the summer would be a great way to start the season I reckon.

Given our teams are now entering Europe in July now, I would say that would be better.

I'm quite open minded about this, but some of the arguments for and against are spurious to say the least!

I've never had a text from my mate saying

"giving the game a miss today, 'cos there's Tennis on the telly"

:lol:

I have had along the lines of:

"I'm going to give it a miss tonight, it's horrible outside and Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Man United.... are on council TV"

You could argue putting Motherwell v Inverness head to head with a decent champions league game on terrestrial TV on a Tuesday night in February is far more crazy than competing with random events on TV?

I'm quite open minded about this, but some of the arguments for and against are spurious to say the least!

I've never had a text from my mate saying

"giving the game a miss today, 'cos there's Tennis on the telly"

:lol:

Probably never had it because Wimbledon does not clash with the football season.....

Granted it really only applies in cases Andy Murray is playing against a top seed or in later stages of the tournament.......

And that is only sporting events.... what about things like TiTP and stuff?

All if's and but's, but I think moving to the summer would clash with folks other interests more than people think.

Edited by wanderer

Probably never had it because Wimbledon does not clash with the football season.....

Granted it really only applies in cases Andy Murray is playing against a top seed or in later stages of the tournament.......

All if's and but's, but I think moving to the summer would clash with folks other interests more than people think.

As I said, I'm open minded, but I'd imagine going head to head with the EPL, La Liga, Champions league etc. is more of an issue than Andy Murray playing at Wimbledon at 3pm on a Saturday.

I do take the wider point that football would be competing with summer sports, like folk have mentioned, golf, bowls, tennis (?? :lol: ).

But football is competing in the leisure industry just now, and arguably not doing it very well. Price, product and matchday experience are probably far more important, but perhaps better weather would improve the experience, maybe even the football/product?

As I said, I'm open minded, but I'd imagine going head to head with the EPL, La Liga, Champions league etc. is more of an issue than Andy Murray playing at Wimbledon at 3pm on a Saturday.

Is there not rules that club football (cup or top flight) can not clash with Champions and Europa League games?

Also, given football can not be shown live at 3pm on Saturday's, you are not really clashing with EPL as such (unless you want to crowd around a screen watching Sky Sports News), and La Liga games kick off in the evening mostly (or first thing on a Sunday morning).

If Andy Murray was to make the final of Wimbledon, and a ICT v Kilmarnock game was scheduled for that day, you could probably chop a good %-age off your gate if that was the case.

Weather should be one of the last factors to take into a account (as I said, better planning would go a lot further to be prepared given how unstable our weather can be from November right through to April) when trying to sell the product.

If it causes a clash with other sports like golf and tennis why should football be subordinated to them, why don't they get played and watched during Jan/Feb instead of football?

Oh yeah because the weather is shit and that would be ing stupid.

Are there countries who have switched from a winter to summer league. What was the difference in attendances for them. Has anyone ever switched back?

Ireland said their attendances fell to start with, but have steadily started to rise after hanging in there for a few seasons now, but fans still calling for a return to winter football.