Atp World Tour 2015 - Page 7 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Atp World Tour 2015

min

Some real testing matches there. Chardy is no clay court mug as he beat Federer in Rome last year. Tsonga I am not too concerned about though. Ferrer is like a brickwall so physically that will be a test. Djokovic will be both physical and mental test and if he comes through that I'd expect him to take the title but that is all a long, long way off.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murray decides to play in Rome, so he must be feeling fine physically and his confidence is obviously sky high. He'll still have a clear week to prepare for the French and with an extra week between RG and Wimbledon this year, the top players have a bit more recovery time.

Possible opponents in Rome:

R32 - Chardy

R16 - Tsonga

QF - Ferrer

SF - Djokovic

F - Federer / Nadal

Well worth playing in, especially when you see the possible path he needs to take. It's win win. Do well and his confidence is through the roof. Lose and he can put it down to too many games. Easy :)

Murray through comfortably against Chardy, 6-4 6-3. Tonga is no clay courter, so hopefully that should be a win, and I'm of the opinion Ferrer is on the slide. He's 33 and still to be taken seriously, but he's not been setting the heather on fire in the clay court this season and that's usually his strongest surface.

Murray withdraws from Italian Open due to "fatigue"...

I'm suprised he's pulled out given he swithered with entering in the first place. There was hardly much point in even playing Chadry now, unless the match took more out him he thought it would. At least it gives him a decent recent before Roland Garros, where hopefully he can push for another slam as he been imperious so far in the clay court season.

Bit of a bummer, would have liked to have seen how he would have faired if he got through to play Novak, but it's got to be the right decision at the end of the day as I don't think it is one that he would have made lightly. Still undefeated this season on clay going into The French Open. The semi-finals have got to be a realistic expectation on this form. :)

Nadal loses his QF in Rome. This'll be the first time in more than 10 years that he's gone to RG without a clay masters tournament win. Some people have been forecasting his demise for the last few years, but they may now gave a point.

Another (what appears to be) routine win for Djokovic in Rome for his 4th Masters title of the season and 24th overall (overtaking Federer in that respect).

The bookies have him odds-on to complete his career Grand Slam in France and it's hard to argue otherwise. Hopefully Murray will be in the other half of the draw.

Many people are tipping Djokovic for not only the career Grand Slam but the Calendar Year Grand Slam this year but I am not so sure. I make him a very warm to hot favourite for the French Open but I can't see him winning Wimbledon. He is not the best grass court player in the world and may not even make it into the top five in my opinion so that is where I see him missing out. Even more so if he wins in RG then the euphoria will be big for him as he has strived so long for it so perhaps he'd enter Wimbledon a little flat after the euphoria. The US Open is certainly winnable for him but he doesn't have a fantastic record there compared to Australian Open.

Many people are tipping Djokovic for not only the career Grand Slam but the Calendar Year Grand Slam this year but I am not so sure. I make him a very warm to hot favourite for the French Open but I can't see him winning Wimbledon. He is not the best grass court player in the world and may not even make it into the top five in my opinion so that is where I see him missing out. Even more so if he wins in RG then the euphoria will be big for him as he has strived so long for it so perhaps he'd enter Wimbledon a little flat after the euphoria. The US Open is certainly winnable for him but he doesn't have a fantastic record there compared to Australian Open.

Sorry but Djokovic has twice won Wimbledon and is the best player on all surfaces. His win ratio since 2011 is incredible and he has won big tournaments on all surfaces. Over 5 sets he will beat Murray on clay and if he plays well will beat everyone on any surface.

I think that's a knee-jerk reaction actually as I think Novak plays Rafa in the QF's if both get there.

Yeah, Rafa vs Djok in 1/4's if they make it.

I agree that the odds are against Djokovic winning the calendar slam as it's an near impossible feat - almost half a century since it was last achieved is a clue as to how difficult it is. However, I'd like to know who you would put ahead of him on grass courts? He's a double Wimbledon champion, the reigning champion, been in three of the last four Wimbledon finals and he's a better player this season than in previous years. Murray would certainly be closest to Djokovic on grass (although Federer can't yet be ruled out), but Novak looks supreme in every match he plays just now.

If the calendar slam is possible, this year is definitely the best opportunity.

Murray's possible route to the final:

R1 - Qualifier

R2 - Pospisil (51)

R3 - Kyrgios (29)

R4 - Isner (16)

QF - Ferrer (6)

SF - Djokovic/Nadal

F - Federer

Can't complain at all with the early rounds and if the SF and F were swapped around, it would be a perfect draw. Hopefully a marathon QF between Nadal and Djokovic - assuming they all get that far.

I agree that the odds are against Djokovic winning the calendar slam as it's an near impossible feat - almost half a century since it was last achieved is a clue as to how difficult it is. However, I'd like to know who you would put ahead of him on grass courts? He's a double Wimbledon champion, the reigning champion, been in three of the last four Wimbledon finals and he's a better player this season than in previous years. Murray would certainly be closest to Djokovic on grass (although Federer can't yet be ruled out), but Novak looks supreme in every match he plays just now.

If the calendar slam is possible, this year is definitely the best opportunity.

On grass I'd certainly put Federer AND Murray ahead of him for starters. As for who else well perhaps even Dimitrov and a fully fit and in form Rafa as well. Yes he has won Wimbledon twice but I would certainly say it is the surface he looks least comfortable on regardless of two Wimbledon titles.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Murray's possible route to the final:

R1 - Qualifier

R2 - Pospisil (51)

R3 - Kyrgios (29)

R4 - Isner (16)

QF - Ferrer (6)

SF - Djokovic/Nadal

F - Federer

Tough in the third round, Kyrgios is up and coming and likely to be top ten by the end of this year. Isner will no t get to the fourth round, had s game s awful on clay. I reckon Ferrer is on the down slope of his career and is unfortunate to have played in this era - he would likely have wn grand slams if he hadn't come up against three of the greatest of all time. So as long as he can get past Kyrgios I think he has a good, although not easy, path to the semifinal. Who knows, if Nasal puts everything into it and beats Djokovic, Murray may well have a shot - and this is Djokovic's worst surface, so he'd have a shot at him as well.

Federer must have shot his load when he saw the draw, Djokovic, Murray and Nasal all out of his way.

As expected it was a comfortable win for Murray winning 6-3 6-3 6-1 against Arguello. A bit too many unforced errors to be deemed impressive or even good so I would describe it as workman-like. Cracking win for Kyle Edmund as well and will now break into the top 100 and at 20 he has time to improve to be perhaps a top 50 player.

As expected it was a comfortable win for Murray winning 6-3 6-3 6-1 against Arguello. A bit too many unforced errors to be deemed impressive or even good so I would describe it as workman-like. Cracking win for Kyle Edmund as well and will now break into the top 100 and at 20 he has time to improve to be perhaps a top 50 player.

He's (Edmund) playing Kyrgios in the next round so could actually face Murray in R3 if he manages to get the better of the Aussie!