Atp World Tour 2015 - Page 4 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Atp World Tour 2015

min

Technically Henman didn't far outdo any other British player - Rusedski had 436 wins and got to the US Open final so arguably had a better record. Rusedski had more career titles and Henman won more money and had a better record in Masters series. So kind of even really.

I beg to differ. Rusedski represented Canada when he reached the US Open Final. Look deeper and you'll see other glaring facts such as apart from that US Open he did not reach any other slam semis. His best was a Quarter-Final at Wimbledon. Henman reached six slam semis in total at Wimbledon, French Open and the US Open so evidently was more adept on varying surfaces. Won more matches than Rusedski and had a higher win percentage in matches. Rusedki's career ran for 16 years and he won 436 matches and lost 274 matches whilst Henman won 496 matches (60 more than Greg) and lost 274 matches (exact same as Greg). If you were to ask experts they'd put Henman above Rusedski but that is not to downplay Greg in anyway either.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ. Rusedski represented Canada when he reached the US Open Final. Look deeper and you'll see other glaring facts such as apart from that US Open he did not reach any other slam semis. His best was a Quarter-Final at Wimbledon. Henman reached six slam semis in total at Wimbledon, French Open and the US Open so evidently was more adept on varying surfaces. Won more matches than Rusedski and had a higher win percentage in matches. Rusedki's career ran for 16 years and he won 436 matches and lost 274 matches whilst Henman won 496 matches (60 more than Greg) and lost 274 matches (exact same as Greg). If you were to ask experts they'd put Henman above Rusedski but that is not to downplay Greg in anyway either.

Rusedski started playing for Britain in 95 and got to the US Open final in 97 so was representing GB at the time.

I'm not saying he's better, just that it's possible to make the argument, and that it's wrong to say Henman far outdid him.

Rusedski started playing for Britain in 95 and got to the US Open final in 97 so was representing GB at the time.

I'm not saying he's better, just that it's possible to make the argument, and that it's wrong to say Henman far outdid him.

Perhaps 'far outdid' is wrong but would say that 60 more wins in one less year of playing than Greg did says it all. The only caveat Greg had was reaching a slam final but that aside his slam record was decidedly patchy compared to Henman. He also had more titles but in is a general experts opinion that Henman was the more complete player whereas Greg relied a lot on his serve.

Good win for Murray and reaches his first Masters semi in almost 2 years.

Perhaps 'far outdid' is wrong but would say that 60 more wins in one less year of playing than Greg did says it all. The only caveat Greg had was reaching a slam final but that aside his slam record was decidedly patchy compared to Henman. He also had more titles but in is a general experts opinion that Henman was the more complete player whereas Greg relied a lot on his serve.

Good win for Murray and reaches his first Masters semi in almost 2 years.

That's my point - far outdid was over reaching. I'm not saying rusedski was better.

Even an on-form Murray would probably have lost to Djokovic, but no excuse for being that poor. Pity, as he's played some good tennis this week. Djokovic now has a huge psychological advantage over Murray, which is clear every time they face each other - no idea how Murray can overcome that...

Simple. Serve much better, be far more aggressive and get your big shots in first instead of waiting for the opponent to take the initiative and quit playing way behind the baseline.

Easier said than done when Djokovic is inside your head. Murray seemed genuinely spooked by the theatrics from Djokovic in Australia - still can't believe he let that get to him so much!

However, Murray played to his seeding last week so hard to criticise too much, but I'm unconvinced by his current coaching team and change may be required to win another slam - make Lendl an offer he can't refuse!!

Looking forward to Miami later this week... Federer not competing and Murray on the opposite side of the draw from Djokovic. A potential semi-final against Nadal (who is defending 600 points), so a great chance to move up to Nr.3.

Easier said than done when Djokovic is inside your head. Murray seemed genuinely spooked by the theatrics from Djokovic in Australia - still can't believe he let that get to him so much!

However, Murray played to his seeding last week so hard to criticise too much, but I'm unconvinced by his current coaching team and change may be required to win another slam - make Lendl an offer he can't refuse!!

Obviously, should have added to have a stronger mindset in these matches as well. For so long now he has been lumped in with the top four so instead of being dictated to on court he has to do the dictating or he will never beat the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer again. Yes Andy played to his seeding but I wouldn't say getting Lendl back is the answer (besides he doesn't have the time). Andy needs to be a man now (he's won two slams) so he needs to work it out for himself where he is going wrong. He is smart enough to know but in my opinion lacks the self-confidence in these big matches now to take the lead and dominate. Remember that Djokovic was very similar to Andy - very passive but he broke the cycle and it is time Andy did the same.

A couple of shocks yesterday in Miami with Nadal and Wawrinka losing - both were in Murray's half of the draw, so the route to the final is looking that bit easier.

Murray is also guaranteed to move above Nadal in the rankings now.

A couple of shocks yesterday in Miami with Nadal and Wawrinka losing - both were in Murray's half of the draw, so the route to the final is looking that bit easier.

Murray is also guaranteed to move above Nadal in the rankings now.

Yes a good day for Murray yesterday. Now if he is in any semblance of form he should reach the final but he has never really looked up to beating the best players in the world for some time which is worrying. True he is back above Nadal but Rafa is perhaps struggling even more than Andy is at the moment so it isn't a massive surprise or accomplishment.

At the end of the day the real acid test comes in the final against Novak Djokovic. He has to end this repetitive run of defeats against the Serb - if he does it will be a massive confidence booster and prove he can still win those type of matches. Another defeat and it will keep him firmly under the Serb's thumb.