Midday On The Winter Solstice - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Midday On The Winter Solstice

AngusBMacNeilMP ‏@AngusMacNeilMP

Shortest day is today 21st Dec... but darkest morning 2nd Jan and darkest evening is 10th Dec http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30549149

That's interesting always thought it continued to stay darker for longer in the mornings for a wee while.

Last few weeks are miserable, go to work in the dark, (can't see anything out my window) and go home in the dark. Don't see daylight from Monday to Friday.

By the end of Jan there is a wee bit of light on the way home.

Edited by johnnie x

Got to say its one of the most difficult things that I have had to get used to moving down to Australia, middle of summer and the sun goes down just after 7pm. I mind fishing up to 11at night on the loch in front of my house in Harris as a kid!

That's a great time to clear off. Maybe in years to come once we're freed from the school timetable...

We've done it 3 of last 4 years, instead of wasting money on Christmas presents we don't need, book a wee week in the sun in January. Fuerteventura for us.

That's interesting always thought it continued to stay darker for longer in the mornings for a wee while.

Last few weeks are miserable, go to work in the dark, (can't see anything out my window) and go home in the dark. Don't see daylight from Monday to Friday.

Start smoking.

Problem solved :ok:

Edited by dandydunn

Nope because the shrivel walleted eastcoasts get much more sunshine than the west coast despite getting less daylight. The West coast is constantly shat on by the atlantic weather system ( see Greenock), the east coast, especially Moray, benefits from the precipitation effect (IIRC) and so is much drier and sunnier, albeit colder.

Edited by thplinth

Nope because the shrivel walleted eastcoasts get much more sunshine than the west coast despite getting less daylight. The West coast is constantly shat on by the atlantic weather system ( see Greenock), the east coast, especially Moray, benefits from the precipitation effect (IIRC) and so is much drier and sunnier, albeit colder.

You would also need to factor in the tendency of a large proportion of Weegies to stay in bed until 1100am, so they never see the sun rise.