Booze To Return To Football? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booze To Return To Football?

Alcohol at Football  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Without any detail, people are debating whether alochol should be made available at Scottish football grounds. Do you agree with this?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I hear this argument, the more of a Red herring I think it is.

I can go to Fir park, drink in the cooper suite until 2:59pm, watch the game and go straight back in at full time. Much nicer than standing in a concrete concourse with warm beer in a plastic cup.

Or there's the Fir park club, a Stephen McManus clearance from the turnstiles.

I do think football fans should be treated like responsible adults, but this is so far down the list of priorities for me. I also can't help but feel some idiots will ruin it for everyone anyway.

I can go to Fir park, drink in the cooper suite until 2:59pm, watch the game and go straight back in at full time. Much nicer than standing in a concrete concourse with warm beer in a plastic cup.

I do think football fans should be treated like responsible adults, but this is so far down the list of priorities for me. I also can't help but feel some idiots will ruin it for everyone anyway.

Agreed, at CP you can go into the Kerrydale bar before and after the game. Makes it easier to police too.

For reasons best know known to themselves the police at Firhill insist everyone is out of the Alan Rough by 2.30pm (for 3pm kick-offs) - makes no sense whatsoever.

For reasons best know known to themselves the police at Firhill insist everyone is out of the Alan Rough by 2.30pm (for 3pm kick-offs) - makes no sense whatsoever.

In the Kerrydale bar they stop serving about 40 minutes before kick off but you can stay until kick off as far as I know, or at least very near to kick off.

It's the same in Inverness. They are talking about allowing drinking before the game and not serving during it then serving again after. That's what we do just now. The sports bar at the stadium is one of the concourses converted. The concourse is used for normal pie shop and toilets during the game. So nothing would change whatsoever.

What I'd like but it would never be allowed is how it worked at an nfl game I was at. You could buy beer in the stadium, limited to buying 2 beers at a time which was fine. It was plastic bottles but you could take them to your seat and watch the game. Was excellent.

Reminds me of a caley game I was at at the start of the season a few years ago. Not sure if the boy was here on holiday and didn't know the laws as he was so relaxed and open about it. He was sitting in the main stand with his feet stretched out over the seat in front of him then pulled out a tin of Tennents and cracked it open. He didn't last long.

Another similar story was when we played Wales away a couple of years ago. We went to watch Afan Lido play in the Welsh top flight. Was a good few other fans there. We arrived late and had to ask a steward to open a gate to let us in. We had a crate of beer and he let us take it in and sit and drink it in the stand. We had planned on stashing it somewhere but asked almost jokingly. He was just like 'um...ach on you go.'

Yip - its all bawlocks

Pretty much every ground seems to have an option that allows you to have a drink pre/post match

The headline suggests 'bring back drink' in the stadium but the words are giving us what we can get today - typical politician, nothing new to offer!

so can every body, if the wish go to these bars already within the stadiums? No, thats the point, everyone should be allowed to enjoy a beer before/after the game.... are we the only country that has this kind of ban? everyone that wants to drink before a game does anyway, it's just not in the grounds at the moment...the same amount of booze will be consumed....

• 1 month later...

everyone that wants to drink before a game does anyway, it's just not in the grounds at the moment...the same amount of booze will be consumed....

Nah. I'll sometimes take a drink at the ground watching Sunderland, but never drink watching Scottish football. It's the convenience.

Personally, I don't see the need to change what is a perfectly good system.

Nah. I'll sometimes take a drink at the ground watching Sunderland, but never drink watching Scottish football. It's the convenience.

Personally, I don't see the need to change what is a perfectly good system.

A few weeks ago I wasn't convince Scottish football was ready for this but now I am, we should be able to have a pint if we want, we're all adults.

I agree to an extent with the bring it back proposals but disagree also.....if that makes sense.

Maybe it should be brought back at 'lower' league games to begin with and potentially raised up the levels ?

No disrespect to lower class games btw.

When I say lower league games, it should be aimed towards fans at clubs who have not got any major issues with supporters, eg, prominent casuals, risks groups etc. they should also take account of arrests associated with clubs in and around matches home and away.

If successful, proceed upwards accordingly.

I agree to an extent with the bring it back proposals but disagree also.....if that makes sense.

Maybe it should be brought back at 'lower' league games to begin with and potentially raised up the levels ?

No disrespect to lower class games btw.

When I say lower league games, it should be aimed towards fans at clubs who have not got any major issues with supporters, eg, prominent casuals, risks groups etc. they should also take account of arrests associated with clubs in and around matches home and away.

If successful, proceed upwards accordingly.

People already drink before and after games, it won't make much of a difference but the clubs will get some much needed revenue. And we'll all get to be treated like adults for a change.