Coalition Scenarios - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. MacWhirter is criticising the SNP for point-blank refusing any deal with the Tories, you silly Killie.

TAMB law, the SNP put him up to it:

McWhirter in the Sunday Herald.

I'm merely applying the same logic that some silly Billy's on here applied to an article about SNP members begging Katy :wub: to defect.. OMFGERD Katy :wub: must be behind it!

I reckon he's missed one. SNP gets 40+ seats, no one can form a majority without them. Grand coalition between Labour and Tory rather than work with Salmond.

Still reckon this is the most likely scenario. 50/1 on paddypower last time I checked, pile on.

It'd also be the best result for the SNP - Robertson the leader of the opposition with the opportunity to get at them every week at PMQs, you'd have to have an SNP rep on QT every week (couldn't be considered unbiased without representation from the opposition) and the two colours of tories working together would just reinforce the antidemocratic nature of westminster in relation to Scotland. A second referendum would be forthcoming very quickly and a Yes landslide would follow.

Edited by biffer

This would hasten the demise of Labour UK wide not just in Scotland.

They would be absolutely insane to go down that route...

But for anyone south of the border, going into coalition with Alex Salmond would be electoral suicide as well - and that's how it'd be painted, doing a deal with AS, not the SNP. He was monstered as a hate figure down there during the referendum remember.

Painting the 'bigger picture' 'economic stability' 'grown up politics' 'national interest not party politics' 'undue influence of minority parties' line would work for both reds and blues, with a friendly press to back it up.

But for anyone south of the border, going into coalition with Alex Salmond would be electoral suicide as well - and that's how it'd be painted, doing a deal with AS, not the SNP. He was monstered as a hate figure down there during the referendum remember.

Painting the 'bigger picture' 'economic stability' 'grown up politics' 'national interest not party politics' 'undue influence of minority parties' line would work for both reds and blues, with a friendly press to back it up.

I just can't see it. For a start, as Toepoke says, it would guarantee the end that they are trying to avoid - the break up of the UK. A 'grand coalition' would be seen, rightly, as an attempt to circumvent the decision of a large proportion of the Scottish electorate.

I also think you might be overplaying the 'Salmond as hate figure' scenario. All politicians are hated to some degree or other by the vast majority of the electorate, but many south of the border probably view Salmond as a canny politician.

It depends on the final split of seats, but my money would be on a minority government, Lab or Tory, probably sustained by informal ad-hoc pacts, followed before too long by another GE - Feb & Oct '74 all over again.

....not going by his appearances in Liverpool on QT. Standing ovation stuff.

With living down south I can tell you that Alex salmond is very much a hate figure to the general public. Most folk I talk to were constantly slagging him off or having a go at what he was saying without properly thinking about what he had said

It depends on the final split of seats, but my money would be on a minority government, Lab or Tory, probably sustained by informal ad-hoc pacts, followed before too long by another GE - Feb & Oct '74 all over again.

This sounds spot on to me. I can't see there being any official coalition this time round, and there will definitely not be a majority government.

The type of governing on the hop that having random pacts, depending on the subject matter, would lead to, would be chaotic in the extreme. So you are right that there would probably have to be a pretty rapid re-run to try to gain some stability.

A 'grand coalition' would be the death of Labour in Scotland, would see the SNP dominate Scottish politics for a generation or more, and would very possibly hasten another referendum and most likely a Yes vote.

I'm all for it. Come on Dave and Ed...you know it makes sense.

With living down south I can tell you that Alex salmond is very much a hate figure to the general public. Most folk I talk to were constantly slagging him off or having a go at what he was saying without properly thinking about what he had said

Must live in different circles to me. Not relevant to them would be the overriding thing that I hear.

I agree. The MSM have made him into some sort of monster. Ive defriended people on facebook and had some right big arguments with folk about oor Alex

Really?

Must live in different circles to me. Not relevant to them would be the overriding thing that I hear.

Really?

Possibly I stay in the sticks near Peterborough and its quite a strong ukip area and work with guys from all over Cambridgeshire and a few from Essex so ye probably us moving in different circles

I think you will end up with a minority Lab or Tory government.

They know that the threat of another general election would be toxic to the party/parties that would enforce it through a vote of no confidence in the incumbent government. This way, Labour could blame SNP if they fail to back them against a Conservative led vote of no confidence in them.

I just cant see Labour and SNP working together, Labour hate the SNP more than the Tories for stealing their support base.

I think you will end up with a minority Lab or Tory government.

They know that the threat of another general election would be toxic to the party/parties that would enforce it through a vote of no confidence in the incumbent government. This way, Labour could blame SNP if they fail to back them against a Conservative led vote of no confidence in them.

I just cant see Labour and SNP working together, Labour (In Scotland) hate the SNP more than the Tories for stealing their support base.

I'd suggest labour in England don't hate the SNP in the way that the Scottish branch do, not at all. They really do not understand what is going on up here (though its not just the labour party that are so ignorant).

I think Balls and Milliband see any hook up with the SNP as fatal to them in England. They are more concerned with people from centre to the right maybe voting for them than their own left of centre bulk of supporters.

Its the only way Labour can retain power in whole of UK. See Blair years for that.

I think Balls and Milliband see any hook up with the SNP as fatal to them in England. They are more concerned with people from centre to the right maybe voting for them than their own left of centre bulk of supporters.

Its the only way Labour can retain power in whole of UK. See Blair years for that.

I disagree, around 6 months there was an attempted coup by Blairites to oust Ed from leadership. Ed is also embracing more policies from Labour left than any other Labour leadership. Along with pledges to go after corporate tax avoiders, undoing the Tory health act and actually listening to the trade unions. The right in England are fearing him, evident by the media attacks on him.

Scottish Labour on the other hand are absolute filth and deserve to be wiped out... Bar one.

I disagree, around 6 months there was an attempted coup by Blairites to oust Ed from leadership. Ed is also embracing more policies from Labour left than any other Labour leadership. Along with pledges to go after corporate tax avoiders, undoing the Tory health act and actually listening to the trade unions. The right in England are fearing him, evident by the media attacks on him.

Scottish Labour on the other hand are absolute filth and deserve to be wiped out... Bar one.

surely you can see the only way for Labour to be elected in England is to be seen as centre and business friendly?