England Won't Put Up With Scotland's Behaviour For Long - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Won't Put Up With Scotland's Behaviour For Long

I especially like the bit where the writer shows his complete lack of undestanding of the meaning of Home Rule.

Did Darling, Brown and Alexander honestly think they could unilaterally rewrite the UK constitution, and offer “Scottish Home Rule”, funded via the Barnett Formula, without any English reaction at all?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11296689/England-wont-put-up-with-Scotlands-behaviour-for-long.html

The biggest problem I have with that article is the suggestion Brown, Alexander and Darling had no right to making constitutional demands - eh, I didn't hear anyone complain when they spent the last two weeks touring Scotland promising everything under the sun. It's rich to now turn round claiming it was fair while at the same time the promises made were unacceptable. There's a good chance they won that referendum on the back of those promises and the impression that UK would do whatever it takes to reform the constitution and give Scotland whatever Labour promised.

I'd have more sympathy for Hodges if he, and others, had pointed out at the time that Brown, Alexander and Darling were signing blank cheques they had no right to sign. As such, he can go f*ck himself.

Just read Iain McWhirter's 'Disunited Kingdom'. A cracking read, definitely recommend it, and there is someone who *does* have a clue 'what is going on in Scotland'.

I can't get my head around why the press don't hire more journalists who are able to talk authoritatively on their subject, instead of proudly ignorant bam sticks like Hodges. It seems like a no brainer.

Just read Iain McWhirter's 'Disunited Kingdom'. A cracking read, definitely recommend it, and there is someone who *does* have a clue 'what is going on in Scotland'.

I can't get my head around why the press don't hire more journalists who are able to talk authoritatively on their subject, instead of proudly ignorant bam sticks like Hodges. It seems like a no brainer.

It's because the mainstream media is run from London. Why would London media wish to employ people who will not toe the party line?