Rip

flynnyboy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't see the relevance of applauding the death of a young man

Very sad news RIP

In the 17th minute of Newcastle's first home friendly since the fans' deaths, a 1-0 win over Real Sociedad on 10 August, the crowd stood and applauded for 60 seconds to mark the date and flight number that claimed the Magpie supporters.

Now supporters groups and local paper The Chronicle are calling on fans to repeat the tribute at every Newcastle game this season.

Mr Sweeney's father Barry told the paper: "It's a nice gesture, it would be great if they did it for the rest of the season and they would be part of every game.

"If Liam knew everyone was clapping for him he wouldn't have believed it but he would have been so proud."

Think we should all make some noise for him to show we remember him at home games from now on, imagine him up there knowing the whole stadium was clapping in memory of him. I think it would be a great gesture, aswell as a minutes silence.

Unfortunately I think a minutes silence may have been disrupted so think applause is only option.

I doubt it. The fans who would be up supporting England are just fans like the rest of us, they would be as respectful to the loss of a fellow football fan as we would be to them.

Not getting at the SFA over this. At least they have been proactive enough to get a tribute organised.

Just seems like a sign of the times that we even have to consider anything other than a minutes silence. I don't ever remember it being an issue in the past, and i am sure there were punters entering stadiums late then as well.

*Having said that, i suppose tributes were very few and far between in the past compared to nowadays.