School Trips - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The 12 year old lassie came in fae school last week wae a leaflet about a trip to New York next year...at a mere £1700.00 each child....for 5 nights, sightseeing and a show or 2...SEVENTEEN HUNDRED QUID!!

Whe the f*ck are these things so expensive? Is that also paying for teachers to go on a jolly too?

Needless tae say she's no' going, mainly because ah'v got a St. Pauli trip in December and away trip to the Ireland match next summer ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our school (Eastwood High, East Renfrewshire) used textbooks from the 1980s, computers from the mid 1990s and sports equipment from the Victorian era. Teachers frequently had to buy essential stationary such as writing paper and notebooks out of their own pocket, even worse in the drama and art departments who had to scrounge all their gear. Yet still the school they organised a £1000+ per person skiing trip to Colorado half way through the school year.

Welcome to Jim Murphy's patch.

The 12 year old lassie came in fae school last week wae a leaflet about a trip to New York next year...at a mere £1700.00 each child....for 5 nights, sightseeing and a show or 2...SEVENTEEN HUNDRED QUID!!

Whe the f*ck are these things so expensive? Is that also paying for teachers to go on a jolly too?

Needless tae say she's no' going, mainly because ah'v got a St. Pauli trip in December and away trip to the Ireland match next summer ;)

absolutley rediculous and unfair on children who will miss it because their parents object to forking out a fortune. They should stick to trips that are affordable and inclusive. like york, or london, or dundee museum.

absolutley rediculous and unfair on children who will miss it because their parents object to forking out a fortune. They should stick to trips that are affordable and inclusive. like york, or london, or dundee museum.

yep i remember we did a week at York

all i remember was the viking centre

I'd imagine insurance premiums for taking a group of kids away would be pretty hefty so you'll be paying for that. Also bear in mind that at 12 she'll be paying for an adult airfare so that'll account for about 700 quid of your 1700 straight away. By the time you throw in 5 nights accom at say 75 quid a night (375) a couple of show tickets and their food and drink over that time you can see where it all comes from.

We went to Chester and Liverpool when I was a kid.

Out of interest (and I've no idea) - are these trips during normal term time? What do the kids who don't go do, still go to school? Couldn't the parents take them away on a holiday?

I know there's loads of hassle these days about taking kids out of school to go on holiday (parents often do it as the prices are so expensive over the kids holiday periods) - but surely if the school is just taking them on a jolly anyway, they can have no objections if parents want to take their kids on a trip - would probably be just as educational as my school trip to Chester was! (trips round Old Trafford, Anfield, swimming pool, ice skating...)

Our school (Eastwood High, East Renfrewshire) used textbooks from the 1980s, computers from the mid 1990s and sports equipment from the Victorian era. Teachers frequently had to buy essential stationary such as writing paper and notebooks out of their own pocket, even worse in the drama and art departments who had to scrounge all their gear. Yet still the school they organised a £1000+ per person skiing trip to Colorado half way through the school year.

Welcome to Jim Murphy's patch.

The new school's cracking though. Had a tour round it for Doors Open Day last year...

I'm only 31 but when I was at school the only school trip I ever went on was a bus holiday to a Belgian sea-side resort. And it was so cold we couldn't even go in the sea.

One of my mates teaches at a school and he went on their school trip for "free" to Indonesia. They're all 17 so the "work" he had to do mainly revolved around organisation and stopping them from having alcohol. Next year they are going to South Africa. Times have changed.

Edited by joe545

The new school's cracking though. Had a tour round it for Doors Open Day last year...

Aye it looks good. I've not been inside it yet funnily enough.

The old one was decrepit 60's architecture at it's worst, was crumbling to bits by the end, legions of insects were living in every little crack in the walls, pipes leaked and the heating was never on in winter. The drama studio was in a converted swimming pool :-)). The Heidie, his deputes and the history teachers were a bunch of wanks when I went there :angry:. Art, Drama, English and RE teachers were all totally sound chaps though :ok:

We also once had a PE teacher who looked suspiciously like Jim Leishman !

Only other trips we went on at Eastwood were to the GFT to watch a French language film, Glasgow Science centre which was actually a good day's worth of arsing around and the local theatre to see Othello.

Primary school trips were the bollocks. Culzean Castle and the Viking museum in Largs were belters as I remember. The RE trips to the Synagogue and the Mosque were actually pretty good as I recall too :cheers3:

We went to Chester and Liverpool when I was a kid.

Out of interest (and I've no idea) - are these trips during normal term time? What do the kids who don't go do, still go to school? Couldn't the parents take them away on a holiday?

I know there's loads of hassle these days about taking kids out of school to go on holiday (parents often do it as the prices are so expensive over the kids holiday periods) - but surely if the school is just taking them on a jolly anyway, they can have no objections if parents want to take their kids on a trip - would probably be just as educational as my school trip to Chester was! (trips round Old Trafford, Anfield, swimming pool, ice skating...)

Taking our kids out of school in March to go skiing. My wife priced the same week skiing during half term in Feb.(french school hols too). It came in just under 3 times more expensive.

F*ck that.

All the classics...

Glasgow Zoo (most depressing place)

Loch Lomond Bear Park

New Lanark

Lochwinnoch Bird Sanctuary

Old Transport Museum in Pollokshields

Antonine Wall (Secondary school trip so more ambitious)...

:lol: Bear park? never heard of this one before. how many bears have they got?

or did you all just take your clothes off and go on the swings?

Edited by ShedTA