13 Years In Afghanistan - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

it was a war we were never ment to win. the book called "the circuit" by bob sheperd gives a very good account of how the allies should have done things if they were serious about subduing the stan. buy moving out of an area after it was pacified and the projects completed it let the taliban come straight back in thus meaning that the taliban would always be moving and nor worrying about static bases wich they would need to defend.

Remember seeing an interview on telly with an ex-Soviet general who was talking just after the US/Britain went into Afghanistan. He went on about how it would achieve nothing and any war there was un-winnable. Sadly no-one took a blind bit of notice of him or learned from the Soviet's mistakes.

Well, after 13 years and over 400 UK troops killed in Afghanistan, Britain leaves today with swathes of the country still occupied by "the enemy"...........................

....Discuss.......

I would like to know how many civilians were killed - directly by the westerns forces, and overall in the conflict

That's just in Afghanistan. Not to mention the fallout from Guantanamo Bay...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/08/28/once-again-militants-use-guantanamos-orange-jumpsuit-in-an-execution/

Edited by exile

I would like to know how many civilians were killed - directly by the westerns forces, and overall in the conflict

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/08/28/once-again-militants-use-guantanamos-orange-jumpsuit-in-an-execution/

I'm sure you'll get your wish. Now we're out the enquiries will begin and I've a feeling it won't be pretty.

20,000 just quoted on the news.

Tragic.

Well the real answer is we got poppy production up after the Taliban decided selling poppies and was unislamic in 2001 and destroyed most of the crops. 35 times increase in production now than in 2001.

We also got the TAPI Pipeline through which wasn't happening in a taliban led Afghanistan.

We also got access to multi trillion dollars worth of lithium/copper/thorium and all sorts of rare useful elements, hundreds of kilometers of it.

Shit load of natural gas the soviets tapped into it briefly while in Afghanistan.

Access to the eastern/southern border of Iran where they have had a huge wahhabi terrorist problem for over a decade now.

OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM yay

20,000 just quoted on the news.

Tragic.

Presumably the US could have 'taken out' the al Qaeda training camps (the original reason for invasion) without UK support.

By that reckoning UK involvement was militarily optional and ultimately political - part of being seen to belong to the club of the 'big powers' or rather 'America's friends'.

So you could see the British 400 military deaths as the price paid for UK to be seen to belong to that club.

20, 000 Afghans paid the price, for what?

Well, after 13 years and over 400 UK troops killed in Afghanistan, Britain leaves today with swathes of the country still occupied by "the enemy"...........................

....Discuss.......

Britain and the USA were the enemy.They invade other countries with totally different cultures and try and force our values on them. Why can't they leave it to the people of these countries to sort their own shit out? Oh aye oil pipeline.What we have is another glorious defeat with 400 dead for nothing.

Britain and the USA were the enemy.They invade other countries with totally different cultures and try and force our values on them. Why can't they leave it to the people of these countries to sort their own shit out? Oh aye oil pipeline.What we have is another glorious defeat with 400 dead for nothing.

As someone who served in Afghanistan and who's met many ordinary Afghans I don't believe it was for nothing. They now know there's something other than the Taliban or other oppressive regimes - the problem is they're not ready to rid themselves of it and I doubt they will be any time soon.

As someone who served in Afghanistan and who's met many ordinary Afghans I don't believe it was for nothing. They now know there's something other than the Taliban or other oppressive regimes - the problem is they're not ready to rid themselves of it and I doubt they will be any time soon.

Stevie how were you recieved by the ordinary Afghans?

Stevie how were you recieved by the ordinary Afghans?

Pretty well for the most part. They were just as interested in learning about me as I was about them. There was a fear with many of them that to be seen talking to or working with us would mean trouble but most did. Regardless of what anyone may think of us having gone there (and I have my doubts as to motive myself) the guys on the ground did their best to help and protect the ordinary people but we were just too thinly spread. There was no way we were going to 'win' there, but we did what we could to help.

Well the real answer is we got poppy production up after the Taliban decided selling poppies and was unislamic in 2001 and destroyed most of the crops. 35 times increase in production now than in 2001.

We also got the TAPI Pipeline through which wasn't happening in a taliban led Afghanistan.

We also got access to multi trillion dollars worth of lithium/copper/thorium and all sorts of rare useful elements, hundreds of kilometers of it.

Shit load of natural gas the soviets tapped into it briefly while in Afghanistan.

Access to the eastern/southern border of Iran where they have had a huge wahhabi terrorist problem for over a decade now.

Recommended read - Taliban - Story of the Afghan Warlords - Ahmed Rashid from 2002 covers the same subject. Currently the Afghan army have already surrendered Sangin, due to massive loss of life in the past summer, more than the Britiish army suffered in the whole Afghan occupation.

Recommended read - Taliban - Story of the Afghan Warlords - Ahmed Rashid from 2002 covers the same subject. Currently the Afghan army have already surrendered Sangin, due to massive loss of life in the past summer, more than the Britiish army suffered in the whole Afghan occupation.

Cheers not read that will get a hold of it now. It was only £6.17 for kindle so just went and bought it. :ok:

I was just saying to my mate the other day I wanted to read up on this exact subject. Any links, John?

I was just saying to my mate the other day I wanted to read up on this exact subject. Any links, John?

It's such a diverse subject Chris what sort of things are you looking for specifically?

http://www.mining.com/1-trillion-motherlode-of-lithium-and-gold-discovered-in-afghanistan/

Is about the mining, it dates back to 2007, however folk have found articles describing the minerals that pre-date this by decades so it was maybe "newly" discovered but the russians were talking about it as were the world in the 1970's whne they openly discussed how to exploit them.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/laurarozen/0610/Afghanistans_mineral_find_and_the_Washington_clock.html?showall

here's some articles on the pipeline starting back in 1998

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/oil.html

here's a small chronology of heroin production in the golden triangle, it goes back thousands of years so scroll down.

graph from BBC

_71083774_afghan_opium_624.gif

Some info on wahhabism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cleo-paskal/expert-global-grand-allia_b_5520637.html

Here's a thoprough academic article published in a journal on the drug war in Afghanistan, very detailed.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/14672715.2011.570569

Need anything specific let me know Chris, it's a big subject and i'm far from expert on it.