The making of John McGinn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The making of John McGinn

Dillinger

3 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Great watch. Just a pity they referred to that goal v Sheffield Wednesday but never included it!

The making of John McGinn.....easy answer ST. MIRREN. The talent was obvious even back then when he was coming through the St. Mirren youth teams.Of course he has gotten better and better as his career has progressed but all his strenghts were staring you in the face even at a young age in the St. Mirren youth teams. The feeling always was at St. Mirren that he had a big career ahead of him. Thankfully maybe at an even higher level than expected. We've got McGinn... 😅👍😀

I agree, I did like the fact they focused quite heavily on his development at St. Mirren, which a lot of people nowadays would gloss over.

But it did feel like after that they jumped forward seemingly quite randomly and rushing to the end missing out on some key highlights like his general ascent at Hibs, adaptation to premier league and of course very limited mention of his international career, although I wouldn't be surprised if that was to do with imaging rights contracts for internationals.

8 hours ago, thesaint said:

The making of John McGinn.....easy answer ST. MIRREN. The talent was obvious even back then when he was coming through the St. Mirren youth teams.Of course he has gotten better and better as his career has progressed but all his strenghts were staring you in the face even at a young age in the St. Mirren youth teams. The feeling always was at St. Mirren that he had a big career ahead of him. Thankfully maybe at an even higher level than expected. We've got McGinn... 😅👍😀

Yeah, it's clear he learned a lot from his time at the Saints and he talks very favourably of that spell. I remember seeing him back then and you could tell he was a player, but didn't think for a minute he would go as far as he has. An absolute power of hard work has gone in to getting him where he is today. 

48 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Yeah, it's clear he learned a lot from his time at the Saints and he talks very favourably of that spell. I remember seeing him back then and you could tell he was a player, but didn't think for a minute he would go as far as he has. An absolute power of hard work has gone in to getting him where he is today. 

Yes.You could tell straight away he was going to be a good un.Even back then he had the skill,determination,the aggression and yes even the big backside that has been so usefull to him in his career.Just an absolute joy to see how far he has progressed in club and International football.

9 hours ago, thesaint said:

Yes.You could tell straight away he was going to be a good un.Even back then he had the skill,determination,the aggression and yes even the big backside that has been so usefull to him in his career.Just an absolute joy to see how far he has progressed in club and International football.

Funny, when I saw him and Kenny McLean playing for the Saints all these years ago I thought McLean was by far the better player. Probably why I've never been headhunted to be a football scout. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If it was so obvious how great a player he was going be, from an early age, I wonder why he didn't really become a Scotland regular until he was about 24? 

Probably cos that's around the time he signed with Villa/was linked with Celtic. 

Not many players outside the OF in Scotland are Scotland regulars - rightly or wrongly. 

Only one i can think of really is O'Donnell in the last 10 years or so. 

34 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Probably cos that's around the time he signed with Villa/was linked with Celtic. 

Not many players outside the OF in Scotland are Scotland regulars - rightly or wrongly. 

Only one i can think of really is O'Donnell in the last 10 years or so. 

👍

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Funny, when I saw him and Kenny McLean playing for the Saints all these years ago I thought McLean was by far the better player. Probably why I've never been headhunted to be a football scout. 

It's hard to judge which young players will develop into stars. It's possible that McLean was a better player at that point. Mcginn has probably improved alot since his st mirren/Hibs days. Plus I don't think he was that impressive for Scotland in his early caps imo.

It's only been the last 3/4 years that hes been amazing for Scotland.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If it was so obvious how great a player he was going be, from an early age, I wonder why he didn't really become a Scotland regular until he was about 24? 

Can only tell you the facts regarding John McGinn when he was at St. Mirren and that was that this guy was going to have a big career. As for the fact that he didn't become a Scotland regular until he was 24 then maybe it was as stated in another post that. was when Villa came into the equation. Or maybe it took until then for him to physically develop into the player he is now. Who knows. All i am saying is the player we love was always there. 

Good watch, did seem to miss some aspects but the content was well made. Interesting that he feels he has constantly had to prove himself even up until quite recently under Gerrard.  Despite being regarded as having a great character for his whole career, it seems he has still needed/benefitted from these challenges. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's hard to judge which young players will develop into stars. It's possible that McLean was a better player at that point. Mcginn has probably improved alot since his st mirren/Hibs days. Plus I don't think he was that impressive for Scotland in his early caps imo.

It's only been the last 3/4 years that hes been amazing for Scotland.

Yeah agree. He never really got a look in until post-Strachan when we were absolutely dreadful for at least 18 months. But then again everyone looked poor during that period,