We have nothing to fear - Scotland v Germany - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We have nothing to fear

N4Footsoldier

On paper we are massive underdogs here, 9/1 according to bookies. I don't think that reflects where we are in relation to this German team of late.

This calendar year Germany have won 3 of 11 matches and lost 6. Those losses include 4-1 v Japan, 2-0 v Colombia and 3-2 v Turkiye. All at home. By the time we reach the Euros they won't have played a competitive game for 2 and a half years - when they crashed out of the world cup by the way.

This is the type of fixture Scotland teams of old would have tentatively approached and let the opponent off the hook. I'd like to thin this squad under Clarke to be more ruthless. All pressure is on the host nation and we have little to lose with this game.

My only hesitation is that their new manager will start to figure things out over the next couple of international breaks. But let's see.

Probably the best pot 1 team I think we could have got (possibly Belgium). 

I had a sneaky feeling we would get them for the opener and you are right they have lost quite a lot of games.

BTW it will be a year and a half since the World Cup come June next year, still, 18 months without a competitive match is a long time and the pressure will very much be on them as the hosts.

We're capable of beating most teams if we have a fully fit squad. Strachan's scotland gave Germany a couple good games and that was when Germany had an unbelievable team. 

I'm discounting the England friendly game as we were clearly experimenting. We gave a decent account of ourselves against France again not at full strength. 

Unlucky not to snatch a result against Spain due to that freekick debacle.

9 minutes ago, Prestersktid said:

We're capable of beating most teams if we have a fully fit squad. Strachan's scotland gave Germany a couple good games and that was when Germany had an unbelievable team. 

I'm discounting the England friendly game as we were clearly experimenting. We gave a decent account of ourselves against France again not at full strength. 

Spot on. Nice to read a post where people are not looking to downplay us whilst talking up the opposition.

As you say our last trip to Germany (2015?) saw us lose narrowly 2-1 when Germany had a far better team then and we had a team not as strong as the one we have now.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As you say our last trip to Germany (2015?) saw us lose narrowly 2-1 when Germany had a far better team then and we had a team not as strong as the one we have now.

I specifically remember them being there for the taking that night as well and we couldn't quite manage it.

We lost 3-2 at Hampden but to be fair they had another gear they could go in to if they had needed it.

Looking at their squad, and the clubs a lot of them play for, they certainly aren't the world beaters of their WC winning days 

10 hours ago, Prestersktid said:

I'm still fuming about that VAR and free kick. He deserved the goal and it would have been one of the all time greats. Really left a sour taste. 

24 minutes ago, WeeJohnny said:

I'm still fuming about that VAR and free kick. He deserved the goal and it would have been one of the all time greats. Really left a sour taste. 

We might get a chance to get our revenge against them in the last 16 round. 😉 😂

Group A 2nd v Group B 2nd. 

17 minutes ago, Gorbar said:

Tonight's EPL highest rated players Super John McGinn v Man City, Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay v Chelsea. Give us a goalscoring forward. Please!

It is impossible to praise SC enough to have identified Scott's true position. Which after all he started his youth career at. Remember when a lot of us were berrarting his performance as a centre half which he simply isn't ! Ten Hag owes SC a few pints. 

21 minutes ago, Gorbar said:

Tonight's EPL highest rated players Super John McGinn v Man City, Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay v Chelsea. Give us a goalscoring forward. Please!

And as for super John McG. He is the most underrated player in the EPL. He would be perfect for Liverpool but his price tag would be what ? £80m. But forget that. He is such a super nice guy. He comes over and talks to TA supporters on a one of us basis. I'm 58. We've not had a crowd of players that empathise with us since my 20s. 

As i said in another post is that apart from playing hosts desperate to win in the opening game and all the emotion that goes along with it -Germany could throw us a curveball as we wont be sure what to expect 

2004 Euros - utter shite

2006 World Cup - nobody had heard of Philipp Laam until the 6th minute and they were a bawhair away from getting to the final