Athletics 2023 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Athletics 2023

Hertsscot

This should have been the heading for the previous post. 

Non-Euros the great Eilish McColgan now has the UK 10,000m record having just broken Paula Radcliffe's old record. Impressive stuff.

Edited by Hertsscot

13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

This should have been the heading for the previous post. 

Non-Euros the great Eilish McColgan now has the UK 10,000m record having just broken Paula Radcliffe's old record. Impressive stuff.

I believe she now also holds 5 current British records.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure how many Scots, if any, might be medalling. McColgan not going now, Muir's a bit out of form. I think reaching a final is realistic definition of success for our athletes.

Wider GB team's prospects not much better though, KJT's chances improved with no Thiam, and Hughes has a chance in the sprints. Women's 4x100 is also looking strong.

Edited by Hertsscot

Laura Muir well off it in the 1500m final. Fair play to Ciara Mageen setting a new Irish record though.

What a 400m from Matt Hudson-Smith, breaking Schönlebe's European record that's stood for nearly 40 years, and only just the semi final!

This really is a golden age for Scottish middle distance running. Two successive 1500m World Champions and the likes of Gourley, Muir and Reekie. These guys are absolutely amazing. I'm not sure they get the respect they deserve. Ingebritsen looked less than happy!

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

This really is a golden age for Scottish middle distance running. Two successive 1500m World Champions and the likes of Gourley, Muir and Reekie. These guys are absolutely amazing. I'm not sure they get the respect they deserve. Ingebritsen looked less than happy!

My mates son managed to get in at the UK championships as well (1500m). Still really young and this is his first full season training properly. It's so competitive. I've also been going to the races in summer and cross country in winter for years now. So crazy seeing all these folk I saw race as children coming through.

The amount of work done setting up all these races and by basically volunteers is crazy. Whole infrastructure would fall apart without it.

• 6 months later...

Been watching the World Indoor Athletics being held in Glasgow. Josh Kerr won gold in the 3000m in an impressive run. Laura Kerr came 5th unfortunately in her final. Seems like there's been quite a few injuries and falls too. 

We were there in the morning, not particularly star studded but still good fun, very different vibe to watching football or even rugby. Unfortunately I missed this evenings action as I was at an adoption meeting for our local SNP candidate. Still good stuff by Kerr. I don't think 3000 is Muir's preferred distance but Reekie looked good in qualifying.

Just watching at home here 😊Looking forward to Reekie in a bit. As an aside, can't get over how stunning just about everyone is. Don't remember athletes always looking like that (no disrespect intended, they're all obviously in peak physical condition!)

*sorry @Hertsscotmeant to quote you there...

Edited by StirlingEgg

4 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Just watching at home here 😊Looking forward to Reekie in a bit. As an aside, can't get over how stunning just about everyone is. Don't remember athletes always looking like that (no disrespect intended, they're all obviously in peak physical condition!)

For years we had to make do with Merlene Ottey and Jet from Gladiators (not knowing she liked masculine women)

Molly Caudery is a bit of alright

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

For years we had to make do with Merlene Ottey and Jet from Gladiators (not knowing she liked masculine women)

Molly Caudery is a bit of alright

I don’t understand how they can run at a sprint with a long bendy pole...

Perhaps a big ponytail or bunches makes you more aerodynamic! 

43 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

That voice though! 😳

She is phenomenal. There was a post on X, formerly Twitter, which included her interview. All it said was close your eyes and this is Mickey Mouse discussing athletic achievements.

That being said, I'd put up with it.

21 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

😊 As an aside, can't get over how stunning just about everyone is. Don't remember athletes always looking like that (no disrespect intended, they're all obviously in peak physical condition!)

Better fitting kit plus more cameras, more close ups, make athletes more aware of their appearance. Even Noah Lyles had his nails painted!

7 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Better fitting kit plus more cameras, more close ups, make athletes more aware of their appearance. Even Noah Lyles had his nails painted!

Yes even the way they come out on to the track is more showbiz than in the past. What's the controversy with Lyles? They referred to it briefly in the studio as though there was an issue with him being part of the relay. 

On 3/4/2024 at 8:03 PM, Hertsscot said:

Not sure. Might have been because he's not really a 400m runner, maybe seem as a bit of an ego trip, denying another athlete the chance of medal?

Ah right 👍Would have thought that decision would mainly lie with the team selectors; the athletes would choose their individual events but team/relay seems different. Just wondered as I have limited knowledge in this (track and) field! 

When there were a number of trips and pushes going on in the 800m+ races I was thinking about Zola Budd and how I was mystified as to how you could trip someone behind you and in bare feet. Didn't think it was a fair assessment at all, even watching it aged 9! 

• 1 month later...
BBC Sport Scotland

Glasgow is among the potential hosts of the 2026 Commonwealth Games - but the city is the last resort to hold the troubled edition.

This week the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) said it was "considering multiple proposals" amid continued uncertainty over the event's long-term future.

Last week, Singapore joined Malaysia in ruling out a bid, after the Australian state of Victoria withdrew as host in July because of rising costs.

Should any of the fresh bids from outside the UK not prove viable, there is a back-up concept which would bring a scaled-back Games to Scotland.

Confirmation of Glasgow's offer is expected in the coming days.

The event was held in Glasgow in 2014 and facilities from then - such as the Emirates Arena - would be used again. So, too, would existing accommodation options.

Instead of the 20 sports in Birmingham in 2022, the event would be limited to between 10 and 13 disciplines.

Those efficiencies would mean there would be no public spending, with the £130-150m budget being covered by the CGF and commercial income.

A final decision is expected by the end of May.