SNP leadership election - Page 97 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

firstly, I completely disagree with the proposed legislation as do the vast majority of Scots.

secondly, all expert advice suggests that this can’t be successful.

Here’s a law lecturer saying that anyone predicting the outcome is talking out of their hat.

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

firstly, I completely disagree with the proposed legislation as do the vast majority of Scots.

secondly, all expert advice suggests that this can’t be successful.

Firstly, the legislation is secondary

Secondly, that 'advice' eminates from unionists only

Therefore, and unsurprisingly, there is no balance to this whatsoever 

2 minutes ago, Redz said:

humzah can pay back the people of Scotland out his own pocket if it fails. 

7 minutes ago, Redz said:

Let's not pretend this is about the bill in isolation 

It is

All this "Sovereignty of the Scottish Parliament" is bullshit

It's being challenged because Humza is terrified that those that have infiltrated the SNP and supported him will burn what's left of it down

And they will

Runrig used to write songs regarding the highland clearances and how it was enforced via the union, skippinish are now writing protest songs about the scottish government who are away to inflict the same,,,, this policy more than any is going to split the party and will have a rebellion, good song as well

https://thefishingdaily.com/featured-news/skipinnish-song-labels-hpma-proposals-as-modern-day-clearances/

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It is

All this "Sovereignty of the Scottish Parliament" is bullshit

It's being challenged because Humza is terrified that those that have infiltrated the SNP and supported him will burn what's left of it down

And they will

To be honest I've thought more about this since Phart posted and I don't think humza has any choice here. He has to fight the UKG here regardless of what the bill is.

9 hours ago, Redz said:

You're wasting your time with him. 

37 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

well ask a joke of a question, get one as a reply

It wasn’t a joke question.  Humza Yousaf has two jobs, one is the Leader of the SNP, the other is as First Minister of Scotland.  When you said he should “get us on an even keel”, did you mean the SNP or Scotland?

8 hours ago, aaid said:

The UKG picked this fight. 

The Uk government are a bit like the parents that are allowing the Scottish government children to have a bit of freedom, but then have to step in when they are about to do something stupid or dangerous.

28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

To be honest I've thought more about this since Phart posted and I don't think humza has any choice here. He has to fight the UKG here regardless of what the bill is.

There's an article on the BBC website concerning the legal angle of this. It certainly gives the impression that the outcome is far from decided. This quotation sums it up

'It is hard to judge exactly how the arguments will play out, because we are in completely uncharted territory.'

At this stage I can't work out whether a defeat on this will be positive or negative for the wider independence movement. 

The other thing I would say is that this bill received cross party support so I'd like to see Unionist politicians questioned on this. After all ultimately this is a bill supported by Labour, Lib Dems and some Tories. Of course, given the bias of the Scottish media, that won't happen as part of their ongoing campaign to undermine support for Indy.

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

The Uk government are a bit like the parents that are allowing the Scottish government children to have a bit of freedom, but then have to step in when they are about to do something stupid or dangerous.

🤣

If they are parents then they are of the type that would have their children taken off them in the real world for abuse and gross cruelty. Like having parents involved in crimes and taking crack too.

And to think some Scots gaze fawningly at them.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

And yet until very recently this approach was the one that the UK Government was going to take under May and was going to be supported by both Labour and the Lib Dems. There's obviously genuine concerns about this but also an awful lot of hypocrisy.

In my opinion it only got ditched under Johnson because he saw it fitting in with his plans to fight the next election on some sort sort of Trumpian culture war against their newest enemy, woke-ism, because basically that is all the Tories can do given the mess they've made of everything else.

Of course Starmer, who is either a pragmatist or has no principles, will no longer support reform as he realises that it's not a vote winner in the red wall.

As for Westminster being grown ups the failure of Jack to raise concerns until the bill was passed and the failure of the likes of Baddenoch to explain the issues to the Scottish Government fundamentally undermines that idea.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

🤣

If they are parents then they are of the type that would have their children taken off them in the real world for abuse and gross cruelty. Like having parents involved in crimes and taking crack too.

And to think some Scots gaze fawningly at them.

We all appreciate that Holyrood is not great at the minute but would anyone want any of the UK Government as parents? 

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Runrig used to write songs regarding the highland clearances and how it was enforced via the union, skippinish are now writing protest songs about the scottish government who are away to inflict the same,,,, this policy more than any is going to split the party and will have a rebellion, good song as well

https://thefishingdaily.com/featured-news/skipinnish-song-labels-hpma-proposals-as-modern-day-clearances/

Never thought I'd see the day common angling would be threatened by the SNP.

One thing industrial fishing, another encroaching on a right we've held for as long as we can remember.  Would need to read it more but instinctively against this as someone who has fished and even when I've been unsure of it, never thought it should be a decision made for us.  Sort of thing you'd expect a central belt Labour party to do unthinkingly to our rural communities.