Under 21s - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21s

Tartan blood

On 9/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Like I say, I wasn't comparing the standard of the players but simply commenting on my own inability to hope for a player of absolute top standard to emerge.

We are of course in quite a different place to when some of those names came to the fore with, I would argue, at least one world class player and several on the cusp of that standard so perhaps we are all more rational in our expectations than we might have been previously.

Incidentally, the Dembele situation is not yet decided - he could yet recommit to Scotland (or Ivory Coast). He's played a few times (around 30 minutes) this year for Brest but as far as I know has made little impact yet.

Dembele will be at QOS in a few years time 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Feruz  did do very well initially at Chelsea at youth level and I’m pretty sure he scored a hat trick for Scotland under 21s when he was probably about 18. He then fell like a Stone. Still a long way for Doak to go but the potential is certainly there but not guaranteed he’ll make it. Ryan Gauld was unbelievable at 17 in Scotland and most watchers would have predicted him playing for Scotland but that did not happen. 

Gauld should be in and around the squad though, bizarre that he isnt

Was at the game against Northern Ireland. Some takeaways…

Best player on the park was our left back (yup another left back!) Josh Reid

Ben Doak is the real deal. He instantly lifted the crowd when he came on with his close control and directness.

Was disappointed in Leon King (their number 9 gave him a hard time) and Adam Devine. King still an incredible talent.

Matthew Craig (one of the twins from Tottenham) stood out for me in the centre of the midfield. Comfortable receiving the ball, neat and tidy. Technically very good.

Jay Hogarth the goalkeeper while not being the tallest has some great technical attributes. 

The striker Conway showed glimpses. Quick, some good hold up play, but you can see why he’s maybe not ready for the full squad.

Conor Smith full of industry, some nice touches, but needs to improve decision making.

Not the best of games but certainly never left the game feeling deflated about our future prospects.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:03 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

It's near impossible to compare MLS or the bottom of the Portuguese league to the epl, championship or SPFL 

Although playing for a relegated team in Portugal he was named in team of the season; the only player outside the big 3. Another goal and assist last night but as you say, I guess whilst he remains in mlS he’s probably little chance of getting in squad although I think in the formation we used last week Gauld would thrive as one of the 3 behind the lone striker. 

On 10/1/2022 at 8:54 AM, SWMM82 said:

Was at the game against Northern Ireland. Some takeaways…

Best player on the park was our left back (yup another left back!) Josh Reid

I watched the game on TV and was pleased to see Reid playing. I don't think he's featured for Coventry so far but I was impressed with him when he was at Ross County.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Although playing for a relegated team in Portugal he was named in team of the season; the only player outside the big 3. Another goal and assist last night but as you say, I guess whilst he remains in mlS he’s probably little chance of getting in squad although I think in the formation we used last week Gauld would thrive as one of the 3 behind the lone striker. 

Your right, the formation looks perfect for Gauld and his ability to play in all three forward midfield positions make him ideal for the squad even if he didn't start.