Under 21s - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21s

Tartan blood

Not a bad squad considering they are missing Ramsay, Lowry, Barron and Fiorini.

What is that moron and born loser Gemmill going to do with them through ?😕

Conway is an interesting addition.

Flynn Clarke has switched back to Scotland after having played for Ireland youth a few months ago.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Not a bad squad considering they are missing Ramsay, Lowry, Barron and Fiorini.

What is that moron and born loser Gemmill going to do with them through ?😕

Conway is an interesting addition.

Flynn Clarke has switched back to Scotland after having played for Ireland youth a few months ago.

Jeez, forgot about Lowry. This does seem to be a talented bunch of U21s when you consider who could have been picked.

12 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Jeez, forgot about Lowry. This does seem to be a talented bunch of U21s when you consider who could have been picked.

If you include the guys missing then theres easily 7 or 8 who could easily get senior caps in the future. What i hope for is 3 or 4 to become proper regulars like mcginn or robertson and end up playing in a top european league. That should be our minimum expectation for this group of u21s and hopefully we can exceed that.

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

If you include the guys missing then theres easily 7 or 8 who could easily get senior caps in the future. What i hope for is 3 or 4 to become proper regulars like mcginn or robertson and end up playing in a top european league. That should be our minimum expectation for this group of u21s and hopefully we can exceed that.

If every new group of U21s can produce 2 first team starters then the system is working well.

If you look at the team recently that has been achieved with Gilmour and Patterson. And although Hickey bypassed the U21s, I would include him in that group.

The problem that we have had in years gone by is that it has taken players until they are about 25/26 to break into the team / squad which then leaves a relatively short period in international terms for them to gain experience and make an impact.

If you look at most successful Int teams, they have multiple players who have been regulars since they were 21 and younger.

57 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Out of curiosity, who are the 8 you think will become full internationals? 

I'd say Ramsey, Doak, Wilson, Lowry, King, Slicker, Mebude, Morrison, Hepburn and Doig all have a shot based on what I've heard/seen. I don't know enough about the others to comment.

Doig and Ramsey might struggle to get in just because of the players they have in front of them. 

Edited by Tartan blood

48 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd say Ramsey, Doak, Wilson, Lowry, King, Slicker, Mebude, Morrison, Hepburn and Doig all have a shot based on what I've heard/seen. I don't know enough about the others to comment.

Doig and Ramsey might struggle to get in just because of the players they have in front of them. 

I would include Anderson if he sticks with Scotland and only based on a few views on TV, Barron is a possibility 

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Conway, lowry, anderson, doak, ramsay, fiorini, king would be my choices of guys who i think will play for us at some point. Conway scores another 3 or 4 goals for his club and hes practically there. Anderson also is pretty close to the main squad especially if he gets a few starts for newcastle or even continues off the bench for them. 

Not sure why you have hepburn, morrison and wilson as choices. These guys have never played any proper football apart from youth football. Just because they are at bayern or an epl club doesnt mean much compared to guys playing first team football like fiorini or conway, they could be the next ruben sammut or harvey st clair. The guys i listed barring doak have shown that they can potentially play a good level of football already. Until we see hepburn, morrison and wilson play at an actual meaningful level of football then i dont see how there can be much excitement about them. 

Saying that i respect your choices and everyones got their own opinions on who they think will become stars.

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Doak’s goal v Napoli. He is uncannily like Middleton when running with the ball. I had high hopes for Middleton who has not yet become as good as I hoped. Hopefully Doak can do it. 

It's the low centre of gravity. He has that powerful running gait, where you can just power past people. 

Middleton might still make it. I doubt he'll be a regular starter but we'll eventually transition back to 4 atb and will need wide players. He has the potential to be a decent player,  he just needs to find a manager who will help him get it all together. 

7 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It's the low centre of gravity. He has that powerful running gait, where you can just power past people. 

Middleton might still make it. I doubt he'll be a regular starter but we'll eventually transition back to 4 atb and will need wide players. He has the potential to be a decent player,  he just needs to find a manager who will help him get it all together. 

Middleton has been very poor so far at Tannadice. I really can’t see him making it. Was very surprised we even signed him when he couldnt get a game for a poor St Johnstone last season. Hopefully Doak can fulfill his massive potential 

Would gilmour still qualify as an u21?

If you factor in gilmour, patterson and hickey then we really do have a talented group players who are 21 and under. Just need to maximise this group of talent and the talent we already have in the senior squad and produce a team that qualifies for both the euros and the world cup and maybe even does well in these tournaments.

33 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I hope Middleton will make it. He’s got some strike on him and a good eye for goal, generally. In the right formation with the right manager he could be very effective. 

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Doak’s goal v Napoli. He is uncannily like Middleton when running with the ball. I had high hopes for Middleton who has not yet become as good as I hoped. Hopefully Doak can do it. 

I'm not too keen on him playing with a question mark on his back though. Can't do his confidence any good. 😉

When you look at the 3 squads named u21, u19 and u18 and add in the injured players, yes not all will go on to amazing careers, but the amount of talent coming through looks like the best we have had for a long long time and the amount coming through is impressive, more and more lads are being snapped up by top clubs in England and abroad, one thing Rangers seem to be doing well is looking at the youth and did very well away to one of the best in  youth squads Ajax take into account King, Devine, Lowry and a couple of youngsters are missing or loan from that youth team. 

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think the whole squad will get a game over the 2 matches. 

Would it really have been so hard for the SFA to have found another European opponent to play ?

Or did they wait too long to find an opponent and asked the six counties if they wanted to make it a double header ?

To arrange two friendlies against the same opponent looks really amateurish.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Would it really have been so hard for the SFA to have found another European opponent to play ?

Or did they wait too long to find an opponent and asked the six counties if they wanted to make it a double header ?

To arrange two friendlies against the same opponent looks really amateurish.

Maybe they think fielding two different teams against the same nation will be more informative. Dunno. 

• 2 weeks later...