Clarke keep or sack? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke keep or sack?

mccaughey85

Should clarke be sacked?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should clarke be sacked?

1 minute ago, borojock said:

i think the other key consideration would be can we get a better manager and would the SFA be able to identify him and attract him to the position 

There is no point in changing manager unless your getting a better manager 

There is no guarantee if we get rid of clarke we'd get someone better; could quite easily end up with a worse manager 

Alot of ppl will hate this suggestion but i quite liked how we played under strachan. Not suggesting i would like to see him replace clarke immediately but if clarke for some reason just left suddenly i wouldnt be against strachan getting another crack at the job. 

I know ppl will turn their nose up at strachan but its a case of realistic options. Guys like clarke and strachan are near to the ceiling on what we can realistically expect.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Alot of ppl will hate this suggestion but i quite liked how we played under strachan. Not suggesting i would like to see him replace clarke immediately but if clarke for some reason just left suddenly i wouldnt be against strachan getting another crack at the job. 

I know ppl will turn their nose up at strachan but its a case of realistic options. Guys like clarke and strachan are near to the ceiling on what we can realistically expect.

Yes in the last year or so of his tenure he looked like he was building things nicely and then he got sacked. He'd be an option for me but not The Tartan Army I fear.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes in the last year or so of his tenure he looked like he was building things nicely and then he got sacked. He'd be an option for me but not The Tartan Army I fear.

From what i remember the start of tenure was pretty good but in the middle period he had some poor results and performances but then in the last year things started to pick up again and we looked like improving. 

Hes not ideal but its a case of being realistic. At least the future managers wont have the pressure of trying to make our first tournament in 22 years. That monkey is off our backs.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

From what i remember the start of tenure was pretty good but in the middle period he had some poor results and performances but then in the last year things started to pick up again and we looked like improving. 

Hes not ideal but its a case of being realistic. At least the future managers wont have the pressure of trying to make our first tournament in 22 years. That monkey is off our backs.

A youngster like you should have a better memory. 😉

We got totally humped in 4 of Clarke's first 5 games. 

1 hour ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Wasn’t just a bad performance, team looked like they’d chucked it.

Reminiscent of the defeat against Wales before Burley got sacked or the game in Kazakhstan that got McLeish sacked.

This has been my thinking also. I suspect this the beginning of the end for Clarke, it’s just how long the sfa drag this out. Something has been bubbling amongst the group and it’s well and truly burst now.As you say we’ve seen this movie before and you see it far more in club football when the players just decide they’ve had enough. Something has happened behind the scenes but the trouble is none of them will speak out. Id expect the same types of performances and results come September, the manner of the Ukraine and todays defeat spoke volumes imo.Anybody that thinks it’s just another bump in the road or it’ll suddenly turn round now is deluding themselves. As usual it’s the fans that are ultimately short changed.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

We were discussing strachan. If you read back through the posts you will see.

Oh aye, so you were. My mistake.

Strachan didn't get off to a good start either. He lost his first two competitive games which meant we were the first European team to be knocked out of the World Cup. That obviously wasn't all his fault, but if he had got off to a good start and won those first two games, we would have got a playoff spot. That performance against Wales was the worst performance I have ever seen by a Scotland team at Hampden. We were awful that night. Wales were a pot 6 team at the time. They did have some decent up and coming youngsters but that was before Wales started to get really good.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Oh aye, so you were. My mistake.

Strachan didn't get off to a good start either. He lost his first two competitive games which meant we were the first European team to be knocked out of the World Cup. That obviously wasn't all his fault, but if he had got off to a good start and won those first two games, we would have got a playoff spot. That performance against Wales was the worst performance I have ever seen by a Scotland team at Hampden. We were awful that night. Wales were a pot 6 team at the time. They did have some decent up and coming youngsters but that was before Wales started to get really good.

Nope in 2018 World Cup Qualifiers Wales were a Pot 1 team just off the back of reaching the Euro semis. 

If you refer to 2014 then Wales were Pot F (six) but we're exploding in terms of improvement. We were picking up the pieces of several years in the doldrums. It took Strachan time to sort things out just as it took Clarke too but ultimately they have been by far our best managers since Smith and McLeish (Mark 1) and before them Brown.

People on here do not trust the SFA well they will be in charge of recruiting the next manager. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nope in 2018 World Cup Qualifiers Wales were a Pot 1 team just off the back of reaching the Euro semis.

Strachan's first campaign was for the 2014 WC. Wales were in pot 6. Macedonia were in pot 5. We were also very unlucky to get Belgium as the pot 3 team, just as they were starting their meteoric rise.