Winning the group - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Winning the group

Malcolm

6 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Actually I’ll humour you..

Based on what?

based on we didn’t have a traditional big name pot 1 name.  Appreciate Denmark are a good side and they destroyed the rest of the group but they are not Germany.  

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

based on we didn’t have a traditional big name pot 1 name.  Appreciate Denmark are a good side and they destroyed the rest of the group but they are not Germany.  

You answered yourself there. Denmark destroyed the rest of the group, we couldn't. 

I'm not sure I'd have trusted us to get a result against the Danes either if the final game mattered to them.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

You answered yourself there. Denmark destroyed the rest of the group, we couldn't. 

I'm not sure I'd have trusted us to get a result against the Danes either if the final game mattered to them.

that’s a fair point.  Home draws against Austria is not World Cup qualifying potential.

24 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Denmark are currently as good as if not better than Germany. They are a good bit better than Italy who are also "a traditional big name pot 1 name".

We got absolutely humped last night by a team who are not as good as Denmark. 

I know you are just trying to be controversial. Well done.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did you watch the game last night?

watch it?  I was at it.

we played beneath ourselves last night.  Didn’t look up for it, didn’t get a tackle in. Poor. We have the players now to do better.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

watch it?  I was at it.

we played beneath ourselves last night.  Didn’t look up for it, didn’t get a tackle in. Poor. We have the players now to do better.

Thought you missed half of it because you turned up late? 😉

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Thought you missed half of it because you turned up late? 😉

aye, very good, cheeky!  Yes, I missed half of the first half due to sfa incompetence.  Might have been a blessing given the rest of it.

Nobody here can deny we were shite last night but a bit of realism is needed.

We have improved so much from the dark years of getting nowhere near qualifying for campaign after campaign after campaign. Sure we never saw that improvement last night. They let themselves down and they let the fans down.

What happened? In my opinion a combination of things. We under-performed due to the wrong set-up and tactics. They looked all the better for having over a month together to prepare for this match so if I hear anymore horse shit about disruption to their preparation I will puke up. Over a month to work on formations and tactics and it showed. The war stuff the players will have sort of become accustomed to given that the invasion has been underway for more than three months now not just a few days.

For us now we cannot let our disappointment to linger and affect crucial Nations League games. These are mightily important and should not be treated as an after-thought. Set out for seven points from the three games as minimum and get back to playing the football we know they can. If not they run the risk of undoing a lot of the recent good work and improvements made.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I said at the time it was the easiest group we could have hoped for. We should have won it or at least been playing Denmark in the final game to win it.

Eh? Its the easiest group we have had but winning it was very unlikely. I know we beat denmark but we were always going to struggle to top the group, we just dont have a squad strong enough to win a world cup group. Sadly thats the truth. We did well to get to the play offs and we should be happy with steady progress under clarke and getting to the euros should be the next priority.

Edited by mccaughey85

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I said at the time it was the easiest group we could have hoped for. We should have won it or at least been playing Denmark in the final game to win it.

You are stupid. And as has been pointed out you are just trying to be controversial. It is tedious.

Denmark had not even conceded a goal in all their games until we beat them in what was a meaningless fixture for them.

Finished on 23 points in the end so I think that was best qualification total since the 90s when you take into account euro 2008 qualifying had 7 team groups so more points in play.

Even a draw in Copenhagen wouldn't have been enough to take it to final game if I've done the back of fag packet maths correctly, bit difficult to win a group when number one seeds don't drop a point until final game.

Not sure if anyone else finished on 23 points in european section and not made the world cup, Sweden?

At least this squad have shown it can take 12 points off bottom two teams and 4 points off pot 2 and 4 was good effort aswell. That's what you need to do to qualify for future tournaments.

Edited by Tartan Chris

41 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Finished on 23 points in the end so I think that was best qualification total since the 90s when you take into account euro 2008 qualifying had 7 team groups so more points in play.

Even a draw in Copenhagen wouldn't have been enough to take it to final game if I've done the back of fag packet maths correctly, bit difficult to win a group when number one seeds don't drop a point until final game.

Not sure if anyone else finished on 23 points in european section and not made the world cup, Sweden?

At least this squad have shown it can take 12 points off bottom two teams and 4 points off pot 2 and 4 was good effort aswell. That's what you need to do to qualify for future tournaments.

Not just that but prior to the group being played even the ardent Scotland fans were targeting second spot and that was them with their optimistic hat on.