Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 320 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

They are a Europa league level club. Hes easily good enough for them.

They haven’t been title challengers for donkeys 

In terms of stature they are a champs league club and should be challenging for the league title.  Mctominay isn't a player who will help them do that.

Hes maybe not the worst player at man utd but he's certainly a player that most of the fans would want to sell and replace with someone better. He's always getting slagged for his performances on the man utd forum and truthfully alot of it is justified.

Saying that hes been scoring goals and has looked a bit better recently but I still think it's not quite enough especially when you look at his overall career at utd.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Might as well close this thread then lol.

No not at all but if you think club form matters more than form for Scotland you are on the wrong forum.

Scotland have a long history of players who may not have sparkled in club football but raised their game or been more comfortable at international level. Also we have capped many who had played for the biggest clubs and great club career but stank the place out for Scotland.

Give me the former rather than the latter any day.

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure were you sit in Old Trafford, but your pretty much on your own there. 

Where they are at the moment, McT arguably is their best performing player. He is their top scorer this season. Who would be rated above him? Garnacho maybe? 

You can't gauge how good a player is in that Man U team. People naturally assume the other players are better because you know they were top grade performers at other clubs. Who knows how good McT actually is? He could be  Ballon d'Or quality for all we know

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's going to be a top, top player. 

What about the brilliant touch in the 3rd second, if var had done it’s job properly that goal (he took it brilliantly) probably wouldn’t have happened 😵‍💫

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No not at all but if you think club form matters more than form for Scotland you are on the wrong forum.

Scotland have a long history of players who may not have sparkled in club football but raised their game or been more comfortable at international level. Also we have capped many who had played for the biggest clubs and great club career but stank the place out for Scotland.

Generally players are chosen for the national team on the basis of their club form. Steve Clarke is pretty loyal but I don't believe, for example, that Dykes would still be in the squad if he went down with QPR.

11 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Generally players are chosen for the national team on the basis of their club form. Steve Clarke is pretty loyal but I don't believe, for example, that Dykes would still be in the squad if he went down with QPR.

Clark knows who he can trust. McTominay scored seven goals for us in qualifying and that counts as form too and on the international stage. Tierney too excelled even when not getting regular football at Arsenal. Pretty sure too that at his prime for us Faddy was not a nailed on starter for Everton. Club form gets you into the Scotland squad for sure but once impressing for the national side club form does not become so critical as the national coach knows who he can trust.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I Never said that it did. End of the day the thread is about Scottish players in action for their clubs. That means discussions on a players club form will take place in this thread.

Your point is irrelevant, if you don't want ppl discussing a players club form then you should avoid this thread.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I Never said that it did. End of the day the thread is about Scottish players in action for their clubs. That means discussions on a players club form will take place in this thread.

Your point is irrelevant, if you don't want ppl discussing a players club form then you should avoid this thread.

And you should lay off with the negativity. If there is a negative to be made about our players or Scotland's chances you are there. McTominay's form on the back of United's exit from the Champions League even though football is a team game, talking up our Euro opponents and players whilst talking ours down. It is bloody depressing and this at a time when we (Scotland) at our highest point form-wise and players-wise that we have had in a generation.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, immcinto said:

Where they are at the moment, McT arguably is their best performing player. He is their top scorer this season. Who would be rated above him? Garnacho maybe? 

You can't gauge how good a player is in that Man U team. People naturally assume the other players are better because you know they were top grade performers at other clubs. Who knows how good McT actually is? He could be  Ballon d'Or quality for all we know

Ppl watch man utd and can see mctominay isn't good enough. Mctominay should still be able to play well in poor team. Ppl Making excuses for him are just deluding themselves. 

Ppl did the same with gilmour at Norwich even when gilmour was playing brutally bad. 

You have to take the tartan specs off and look at it from a man utd fans perspective. Mctominay just doesn't perform consistently well enough to be a starter for a club like man utd. He has spells where he does well but also has long spells where he plays poorly. 

He actually wasn't that great for Scotland until the euro campaign where he basically turned into a goal machine overnight for us.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And you should lay off with the negativity. If there is a negative to be made about our players or Scotland's chances you are there. McTominay's form on the back of United's exit from the Champions League even though football is a team game, talking up our Euro opponents and players whilst talking ours down. It is bloody depressing and this at a time when we (Scotland) at our highest point form-wise and players-wise that we have had in a generation.

I am a big fan of mctominays but I am not delusional about him. I am just making an honest assessment of how he plays for man utd. If you want to kid on that he consistently plays well for utd then crack on.

I am one of the few ppl who have always stuck up for mctominay when ppl claimed he was at fault(he wasn't)for the Serbia goal. Also I have always defended him when ppl claimed he was rubbish( he wasn't)at centre back as well. 

No offence buddy but you are always deluding yourself with your analysis of anything to do with Scotland. You need to take a step back and try and view things from other ppls perspective rather than just being blindly optimistic and positive about everything.

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Has McT not been one of the few highlights in the gloom for Man U? 

His goals have, his performances haven't.

If it wasn't for injuries he would have barely started a game this season. He's being pretty much asked to play in a position he sucks at.

Thankfully he plays further forward for us in the couple of games he has been used in his Man United role he has been pretty poor.

If you ignore the trolls on the Man United forum and just look at the ratings given by all the supporters , only Rashford and Mount are worse than him.

18 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That was Marley Watkins. 

I know it was but killie should have been down to 10 men for 89 mins & 57 seconds + added time so fair chance game would’ve been totally different. It was a great bit of control & finish, hope he Scottish & goes on to be a great striker for us👍

10 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

I know it was but killie should have been down to 10 men for 89 mins & 57 seconds + added time so fair chance game would’ve been totally different. It was a great bit of control & finish, hope he Scottish & goes on to be a great striker for us👍

He is Scottish, born and bred in Ayrshire. 

For some reason Scot Gemmill doesn't think a lad playing out his skin every week in the top flight isn't worth a call up to the 21s. 

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Clark knows who he can trust. McTominay scored seven goals for us in qualifying and that counts as form too and on the international stage. Tierney too excelled even when not getting regular football at Arsenal. Pretty sure too that at his prime for us Faddy was not a nailed on starter for Everton. Club form gets you into the Scotland squad for sure but once impressing for the national side club form does not become so critical as the national coach knows who he can trust.

All of that is true but to get your foot in the door, you have to be performing for your club.  There are some players who look really off it if lacking game time at their club (McKenna and Patterson for example though Patterson just lacks experience too), others whose poor club form continues in internationals (I'd put Dykes and Adams in that category though both have done better for their clubs recently) and some for whom it doesn't make any difference (e.g. Tierney and Hendry who actually played better for us before he was getting regular club game time)