Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 28 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this make you a jackeen too Helen because of your british ties where you where educated in the british education system wheither your family where fee paying or not ie st doms or fortwilliam dom or even mcb or Bra these schools and colleges where part and full funded by Westminster and in later years by Stormont which fly the flag of the union mmmm double standards hd me thinks

does this make you a jackeen too Helen because of your british ties where you where educated in the british education system wheither your family where fee paying or not ie st doms or fortwilliam dom or even mcb or Bra these schools and colleges where part and full funded by Westminster and in later years by Stormont which fly the flag of the union mmmm double standards hd me thinks

No - Jackeens are all Dubs. I went to Rathmore - I was one of the downtrodden in the occupied six - the part of Ireland abandoned and then looked down upon by the Jackeens :yikes3:

This thread has more views than the next 30 threads combined. It is a classic TAMB thread.

Until Helen fakes her own death and washboarder and G_T_R respond by sky-diving for charity, this thread is purely second string. The participants just aren't trying hard enough frankly.

Until Helen fakes her own death and washboarder and G_T_R respond by sky-diving for charity, this thread is purely second string. The participants just aren't trying hard enough frankly.

Helen will get sent bullets and then fake her own TAMB death. GTR will be wracked with remorse and will do the sky dive...all the elements are in place.

I think for the scots and Irish fans on this board who can't be rsed with the sectarian stuff Helen is exhibit A.

No need.

For what is worth I know loads of Irish folk. Not one or anyone they know claims to support celtic.

Majority of Irish people are likethe majority of scots. Love their sport and enjoy a good pi $$ up. Bring it on in the weeks. Look forward to drinking worth these guys. Don't letthe idiots cod your judgement and make this game something it is not.

Is seems that Helen is a classic mope. Dying to be discriminated on this board so that she can proclaim it loudly and try to take the moral high ground.

Got news for you love. You fool nobody and do not represent the majority of irish fans.

Your banter has been ok in patches but enough is enough.

oh ffs it has its own wiki page...

Jackeen is a mildly pejorative term for someone from Dublin, Ireland. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "A contemptuous designation for a self-assertive worthless fellow," citing the earliest documented use from the year 1840.[1]

Derivation and meaning[edit]

The term is derived from a nickname for John[citation needed] (i.e. Jack) from the Union Jack (As Dubliners were considered the most English of all the Irish) combined with the Irish diminutive suffix "-een" (meaning little) [1] (-ín in Irish) found in many Irish female names such as Roisín ("little Rose") and Maureen (Mairín, "little Mary"). Today, Jackeen is often used to describe Dublin GAA players and supporters.[2][3]

Edited by thplinth

Serious question. If you dropped an average irishman into parkhead on old firm day do you think they would say it represented their culture and country.

I think not. As the previous posters said they would probably be angry at their flag being misused.

Is seems that Helen is a classic mope. Dying to be discriminated on this board so that she can proclaim it loudly and try to take the moral high ground.

Got news for you love. You fool nobody and do not represent the majority of irish fans.

Your banter has been ok in patches but enough is enough.

Got news for you andy... your patter is honking.

The extreme Northern Irish????? Those who want to be free from discrimination and oppression? Those who want to be part of a United Ireland and life in peace?? Are those the people you are talking about????

..... and those who don't think pedophiles and rapists should be brought to justice just because they were in the IRA?

Serious question. If you dropped an average irishman into parkhead on old firm day do you think they would say it represented their culture and country.

I think not. As the previous posters said they would probably be angry at their flag being misused.

I'll answer that for you as I reckon I represent the average Irish man.

The answer is simply no. I've been to Celtic Park albeit not for an Old Firm game (I am a Cork City fan not a Celtic fan by the way). We do not carry on like that at International or club matches in Ireland. The tricolour flies in much the same way you'd see the saltire fly at Scottish football matches and is not seen by the different communities in the south of Ireland as a divisive emblem. Sectarian songs are not sung at LOI matches or at Lansdowne Rd (I've not been to the Brandywell in Derry where it may or may not occur), in fact there is no sectarianism in the south of Ireland despite the fact that Protestants make up a significant % of the population. Northern Ireland might as well be on the other side of the planet given the ignorance of issues in the north by people in the south (pretty similar to the ignorance of Londoners to Scotland in general).

i'd like to point out that I've been to an OF game at Ibrox. Having been invited by a Rangers supporting mate we jumped on a Rangers bus in Edinburgh and to say the journey to Ibrox was eventful would be an understatement. I watched the match from the club deck where various individuals including a very irate chap beside me hurled abuse at the Celtic fans for 120 minutes. Yip the match was a league cup semi-final which went into extra time. My point is for the 120 minutes I did not recognise anything that represented Britain never mind Scotland (I spent 7 years in Scotland and 3 so far in England).

Both Celtic and Rangers are strange enigmas. They both claim to represent something or somewhere yet appear to be at odds with those places. The only places that truly represent Scotland and Ireland in a footballing context are Hampden Park and Lansdowne Rd. You will not hear or see any bullshit in these stadia.

Onto your second point, there is no doubt about it that the Irish tricolour has been misused. It was created by Irish nationalists in the 18th century (many of the leaders were Protestants believe it or not). The idea was that the flag represented the people who lived on the island at the time i.e. green represented the Catholics, orange represented the Protestants and white represented peace between the two). Unfortunately historical events took over in the 20th Century and the flag is now seen primarily (at Celtic matches and in Northern Ireland) as a nationalist (catholic) emblem used to goad the very folk it partially represents. A sad state of affairs.

Any how enough of this bollix...I reckon there will be a minimum of 10,000 Irish in the stadium plus god only know's how many Scots supporting Ireland.

Edited by ColemanY2K

I'll answer that for you as I reckon I represent the average Irish man.

The answer is simply no. I've been to Celtic Park albeit not for an Old Firm game (I am a Cork City fan not a Celtic fan by the way). We do not carry on like that at International or club matches in Ireland. The tricolour flies in much the same way you'd see the saltire fly at Scottish football matches and is not seen by the different communities in the south of Ireland as a divisive emblem. Sectarian songs are not sung at LOI matches or at Lansdowne Rd (I've not been to the Brandywell in Derry where it may or may not occur), in fact there is no sectarianism in the south of Ireland despite the fact that Protestants make up a significant % of the population. Northern Ireland might as well be on the other side of the planet given the ignorance of issues in the north by people in the south (pretty similar to the ignorance of Londoners to Scotland in general).

i'd like to point out that I've been to an OF game at Ibrox. Having been invited by a Rangers supporting mate we jumped on a Rangers bus in Edinburgh and to say the journey to Ibrox was eventful would be an understatement. I watched the match from the club deck where various individuals including a very irate chap beside me hurled abuse at the Celtic fans for 120 minutes. Yip the match was a league cup semi-final which went into extra time. My point is for the 120 minutes I did not recognise anything that represented Britain never mind Scotland (I spent 7 years in Scotland and 3 so far in England).

Both Celtic and Rangers are strange enigmas. They both claim to represent something or somewhere yet appear to be at odds with those places. The only places that truly represent Scotland and Ireland in a footballing context are Hampden Park and Lansdowne Rd. You will not hear or see any bullshit in these stadia.

Onto your second point, there is no doubt about it that the Irish tricolour has been misused. It was created by Irish nationalists in the 18th century (many of the leaders were Protestants believe it or not). The idea was that the flag represented the people who lived on the island at the time i.e. green represented the Catholics, orange represented the Protestants and white represented peace between the two). Unfortunately historical events took over in the 20th Century and the flag is now seen primarily (at Celtic matches and in Northern Ireland) as a nationalist (catholic) emblem used to goad the very folk it partially represents. A sad state of affairs.

Any how enough of this bollix...I reckon there will be a minimum of 10,000 Irish in the stadium plus god only know's how many Scots supporting Ireland.

Great post mate. Exactly what people need to hear. Sick of you guys being misrepresented by idiots over here. The match will be cracking in a few weeks. Ireland fans are up there with Holland and Belgium IMO. I am sure when you start arriving our city everyone will realise that.

If only the Guinness was as good over here :-)

Sorry the tri-colour was created in the 1800's not the 18th century.

Indeed I'm looking forward to the trip to Glasgow although I won't be touching the Guinness. Plenty of Scottish brews will be the order of the day (in fact I had one or two too many pints of Schiehallion last night :spin: ).

The plan is to drop the bags at the hotel and head to the football museum at Hampden before going to watch the fans match. Then scuttle into town for a few pre-match pints and a sing-song :guitar:. I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by ColemanY2K