Did you greet? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Did you greet?

GaryWood34

Right ladies and gents. Many times did you greet?

1. Morning of the Czech game, was just walking the dog and burst in to tears. Had Luka La Volpe's rendition of I have a dream on and that was me gone. Ridiculous eh. Almost blubbed when I arrived at Hampden and saw the 'Euro 2020' signs and symbols everywhere. 

2. At Wembley when the full time whistle went. Specifically when the official song came on. Cried again when the players came over and everyone belted out the national anthem. I put this one down to the 319 pints of lager pre match, the fact England had NOT knocked us out and that I firmly believed we would beat Croatia to qualify - This was our time. 

3. Croatia - National anthems. Was something else. Stood there like and idiot greeting in to my scarf. No emotion at all during the game, just stood calm and watched it. Surreal experience. 

Can't actually see my crying like that again because of football. I just think it was the ridiculously long build up, the 23 year gap, the tickets, no tickets then tickets. The fans, no fans, fans. Just the lot.

I loved the journey. Loved it and I'll tell you right now I still love every player and coach that got us there. 

Next time eh. 

21 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

I was pretty emotional at a few moments... 23 year is far too long. 

Though the most heartbreaking moment was seeing my 7 year old son devastated that we didn't beat Croatia.  He, like the nation, was sure we were going to win....

Seeing the kids upset is indeed heartbreaking . They have such expectations. 

I was more emotional after the Serbia match than the Euro games, but it was still really exciting to be part of it, even with all the restrictions. 

Not specifically at us being involved after such a long time

I did however, as I looked across to where me and my dad used to sit at Hampden, 'wobble' a wee bit

The Czech game was my first time back since he passed in Aug 2019, I 'wobbled' again at the Croatia game too

Wembley was fine though, as it has moved since my last visit with him 👍

1 hour ago, Redz said:

Not specifically at us being involved after such a long time

I did however, as I looked across to where me and my dad used to sit at Hampden, 'wobble' a wee bit

The Czech game was my first time back since he passed in Aug 2019, I 'wobbled' again at the Croatia game too

Wembley was fine though, as it has moved since my last visit with him 👍

Totally get that. My dad’s funeral was on the morning we beat Serbia to qualify. While we were still in it, there was than wee link that took me back to that day. Felt awfy sad when we were out as that link was now gone 😔

Edited by McTeeko

15 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Totally get that. My dad’s funeral was on the morning we beat Serbia to qualify. While we were still in it, there was than wee link that took me back to that day. Felt awfy sad when we were out as that link was now gone 😔

Aye, that would have been sore / raw too

Not sure if it helps, however I doubt we were alone with our thoughts / feelings across these games 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I was surprisingly all good, however when the team first arrived and came out onto the pitch on the first day vs the Czechs I felt very, very emotional. A wee tear, nothing more. 
Felt very emotional at Wembley too, although, I suspect it was a mix of the lager and not being eliminated!

My first experience of a major tournament - Don't think it'll be my last! 

1 hour ago, Redz said:

Aye, that would have been sore / raw too

Not sure if it helps, however I doubt we were alone with our thoughts / feelings across these games 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Absolutely, there must have been loads of us in that position. A lot can happen in 23 years.